U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 PM
 
246 posts, read 211,269 times
Reputation: 258

Advertisements

Yes, and you'll find it just about in any big city. I find that it is very concentrated in downtown, where I work, conveniently enough, because a number of shelters and churches are there. We have quite a few charities like the Atlanta Mission (formerly Atlanta Union Mission) that seem to do a good job. There are some hospital partnerships that I know of that perform medical examinations and such.

However, until we have a health care system that is integrated, treats the "whole" person, and links that person to other social services, you will continue to see this. Don't blame the government, because this is a big complicated issue that has to be attacked from multiple angles and is expensive as all heck.

Witness a schizophrenic patient off their meds repeatedly, and you'll see what I am talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2015, 07:26 PM
 
3,353 posts, read 4,845,877 times
Reputation: 1369
I was in Atlanta for work at the beginning of the year just having moved back south from the NJ/NY area and noticed a lot more visible homeless and they are a lot more aggressive in asking for money. Especially in the 5 points area where work was located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 07:30 PM
 
288 posts, read 245,731 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda79 View Post
Yes, and you'll find it just about in any big city. I find that it is very concentrated in downtown, where I work, conveniently enough, because a number of shelters and churches are there. We have quite a few charities like the Atlanta Mission (formerly Atlanta Union Mission) that seem to do a good job. There are some hospital partnerships that I know of that perform medical examinations and such.

However, until we have a health care system that is integrated, treats the "whole" person, and links that person to other social services, you will continue to see this.
Don't blame the government, because this is a big complicated issue that has to be attacked from multiple angles and is expensive as all heck.

Witness a schizophrenic patient off their meds repeatedly, and you'll see what I am talking about.
I'm not "blaming" government. Though I am saying the people who run the government are in the best positions to make decisions and create services to help the homeless, it doesn't seem as though (especially here in Seattle) that they've put much effort or thought on how to get a handle on their homeless issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 08:06 PM
 
188 posts, read 123,202 times
Reputation: 139
Why not just clean up the city by herding them up and shipping them out to Clayton County where there is much less for the community to lose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 08:23 PM
 
3,353 posts, read 4,845,877 times
Reputation: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
I'm not "blaming" government. Though I am saying the people who run the government are in the best positions to make decisions and create services to help the homeless, it doesn't seem as though (especially here in Seattle) that they've put much effort or thought on how to get a handle on their homeless issue.
It's a public policy issue which has to be addressed at multiple levels federal, state, and local. We could fix 70% of the homeless problem by getting the ones that want help off of the streets and into housing. The other 30% are the chronic homeless who suffer from mental illness and dependency issues. These are the ones we are not going to be able to help without a lot of effort.

Deal with low hanging fruit of families and the working poor who due to work issues and other problems find themselves homeless and need some help to get into housing. After you take care of this part of the homeless population then you tackle the harder to help homeless who suffer from mental and dependency issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 PM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,567,629 times
Reputation: 2045
In pockets but not as bad as San Francisco or LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Northlake
579 posts, read 1,171,370 times
Reputation: 294
If you want to see a third world of homeless people check out Broad St. south of 5 points. You will see all types of homeless individuals. It's a sad sight to see at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 11:03 PM
 
288 posts, read 245,731 times
Reputation: 122
It doesn't appear as though Georgia is as bad as California, Washington, Florida, Oregon, New York, or Nevada... But it's still on the higher end as far as it's homeless population goes.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2015 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 11:44 PM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,715 posts, read 3,092,034 times
Reputation: 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
It doesn't appear as though Georgia is as bad as California, Washington, Florida, Oregon, New York, or Nevada... But it's still on the higher end as far as it's homeless population goes.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
During the day, the numbers in the heart of Downtown are not as high as Seattle's seem to be. The last time I was out there, I was frankly surprised at the huge number of homeless in the park just north of Pike Place Market. That had not been the case on previous visits. I know the income disparity is getting crazy there now, though. Pioneer Square has always seemed to be the epicenter, and we don't really have a similar vibrant district here that compares.

But we do have a lot here, as you would expect for the largest City in the region. It's sad, but unfortunately a fact of life in too many places nationwide. I would say it is slightly less visible here, but I'm sure the numbers may actually be higher than Seattle due to the size difference alone.

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2015 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 12:57 AM
 
Location: In your feelings
2,199 posts, read 1,511,325 times
Reputation: 2168
There's not a difference between having a "visible homeless problem" and having a homeless population. Homelessness is bad, and in some ways it's better when it's visible because then people can't ignore that it exists. Working to end homelessness is an honorable cause, wanting to move it somewhere you don't have to see it is disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top