U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 04:58 AM

20,910 posts, read 32,910,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Does Atlanta have a visible homeless problem? What I mean is, are there a lot of homeless people and panhandlers on the street? I'm currently in Seattle now, I wanted to make it work, I really did... But it's unfortunate to see how many visibly homeless people there are. I don't have anything against homeless people, it just makes me wonder why Seattle's government is doing more to help. I know at least some of these people want to get off the street.

Anyways, does Atlanta have a similar problem?
Having lived in both cities, I can tell you the homeless community in Seattle is MUCH more visible than in Atlanta. The Atlanta homeless tend to seclude themselves in wooded areas or under bridges and overpasses. When l think of Seattle, I immediately think of the tent communities that are easily visible from the expressway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 05:16 AM

22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Homelessness is a national problem. There are individuals and families that are temporarily living with friends/families or staying in extended stay motels.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 AM

3,286 posts, read 4,781,312 times
As bad as this sounds you cannot have homeless hanging out in the CBD, as this puts a negative face on your city. You have to move them away from this area. I think Cobb County is a good place to start.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:06 AM

22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
As bad as this sounds you cannot have homeless hanging out in the CBD, as this puts a negative face on your city. You have to move them away from this area. I think Cobb County is a good place to start.
They hang out there because that is where a lot of the services are.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,345,209 times
Quote:
Yall and this childish Cobb County trolling....

Old 09-23-2015, 07:19 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,731,309 times
Quote:
Name one major American CBD that doesn't have a lot of homeless people roaming around.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:23 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,223,384 times
Quote:
lol, near the new stadium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Having lived in both cities, I can tell you the homeless community in Seattle is MUCH more visible than in Atlanta. The Atlanta homeless tend to seclude themselves in wooded areas or under bridges and overpasses. When l think of Seattle, I immediately think of the tent communities that are easily visible from the expressway.
Yeah, LA has the tent communities too. Denver also has droves of homeless downtown, the most I've ever seen in a downtown area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They hang out there because that is where a lot of the services are.
And where they have the best chance of panhandling.

I think they should consolidate and move the services out in the middle of nowhere and create homeless camps. Put them to work doing something productive and in turn provide them with basic services. Force them to either leave the city or go to camp. It's a choice. And if they're too mentally ill to participate, well then maybe they shouldn't be walking the streets amongst the rest of us...

Bottom line, get them out of the city.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:24 AM

3,491 posts, read 1,209,755 times
Absolutely, just s any big city does.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:33 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,526,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Yeah we have a homeless problem. Just check out any of the pocket parks south of North Ave and they are chock full of homeless. These little parks are more like habitats for the homeless.

I wish they could provide enough housing for all of the homeless, all of them. Then, make it illegal to sleep in the street/parks. I don't think people should have the right to sleep and live in public spaces.
Does anyone ever notice how most of the homeless are welcome south of North Ave, but you rarely see them north the Connector split?? Yep....Feminism

Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,731,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Does anyone ever notice how most of the homeless are welcome south of North Ave, but you rarely see them north the Connector split?? Yep....Feminism
I don't know what Midtown you're in, but there are plenty of homeless folks north of North Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or