U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 AM

984 posts, read 1,437,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Very worth it, though. I can stomach a few more 30 second stops if it adds total ridership and connectivity and coverage and usefulness to the system.
The problem is that a lot of those proposals are sandwiched between existing stations with low ridership, it's not the station it's the development. Miami Circle seems like an ideal infill station, provided some type of TOD is created and more housing provided, but Krog St seems silly, it's sandwich between two low ridership stations. They should just develop TODs at those stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 09:44 AM

22,394 posts, read 16,408,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
The problem is that a lot of those proposals are sandwiched between existing stations with low ridership, it's not the station it's the development. Miami Circle seems like an ideal infill station, provided some type of TOD is created and more housing provided, but Krog St seems silly, it's sandwich between two low ridership stations. They should just develop TODs at those stations.
King Memorial has a developer signed on to create a TOD on the parking lot currently used by Grady. Inman Park/Reynoldstown Station has no land to develop for a TOD. The parking lot north of DeKalb Ave is owned by GDOT.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 4,051,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
My apologies if this has already been posted.

2007 MARTA Infill Stations Report
As others have said, great find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Well, if it was already posted, I've never seen this. Thanks for posting it! It's sad to look back at all the plans from eight (8) years ago, and realize that barely anything's been done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No that's a good thing, most of those stations would be a complete waste of time, money and energy. Two on the West line looked ok, Hunter Hills and Simpson, and maybe Old Avondale, and that's where I got mad and had to close the document. Mechanicsville would probably be ok too, but beyond that, everything else was either in easy walking or busing distance of an existing station.
From the report itself: "Four stations come out on top: Mechanicsville Station on the South Line, Simpson Station on the Proctor Creek Line and Armour Station and Miami Circle Station on the North Line." If these infill stations were to be built, then I would probably prioritize them as 1. Armour, 2. Simpson, 3. Mechanicsville, 4. Miami Circle.

My thinking is that we've discussed at length around here the potential need for an Armour station. If the NIMBYs in the CDC/Emory area decide within the next 50 years to actually cool their jets, then maybe, just maybe, an Armour station could open the way for a seamless transition to an Arts Center -> Armour -> Emory/CDC line. And it could in time be extended all the way up to Tucker along that rail corridor.

Simpson may be needed for the sole purpose that it would make the HRT-to-Beltline connection a lot more convenient than it would be at Bankhead, where it would almost certainly be at least 100 yards between the HRT and Beltline stations.

Mechanicsville--eh, I guess. But I don't know if I like the Miami Circle station. Lindbergh, as the last station before the Red and Gold Lines split, is technically a transfer station. Miami Circle would have to take over that role.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
As others have said, great find.

From the report itself: "Four stations come out on top: Mechanicsville Station on the South Line, Simpson Station on the Proctor Creek Line and Armour Station and Miami Circle Station on the North Line." If these infill stations were to be built, then I would probably prioritize them as 1. Armour, 2. Simpson, 3. Mechanicsville, 4. Miami Circle.

My thinking is that we've discussed at length around here the potential need for an Armour station. If the NIMBYs in the CDC/Emory area decide within the next 50 years to actually cool their jets, then maybe, just maybe, an Armour station could open the way for a seamless transition to an Arts Center -> Armour -> Emory/CDC line. And it could in time be extended all the way up to Tucker along that rail corridor.

Simpson may be needed for the sole purpose that it would make the HRT-to-Beltline connection a lot more convenient than it would be at Bankhead, where it would almost certainly be at least 100 yards between the HRT and Beltline stations.

Mechanicsville--eh, I guess. But I don't know if I like the Miami Circle station. Lindbergh, as the last station before the Red and Gold Lines split, is technically a transfer station. Miami Circle would have to take over that role.
Miami circle is a waste. There is not much over there, except the SFH neighborhood north of the NS tracks and the antiques shops, not much high density. Also, that stretch of rail has a lot of interlocking tracks for the Red/Gold split.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 AM

984 posts, read 1,437,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
King Memorial has a developer signed on to create a TOD on the parking lot currently used by Grady. Inman Park/Reynoldstown Station has no land to develop for a TOD. The parking lot north of DeKalb Ave is owned by GDOT.
Purchasing the parking lot would be a novel idea, but my greater point is that Inman Park and King Memorial are both under utilized stations. Creating an infill station between two stations that are underutilized, seems like a waste of money. I think the TOD at King Memorial is a great idea, can't wait for it to start.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM

5,472 posts, read 2,794,585 times
Quote:
I absolutely agree that we should (and are) pushing for TODs on MARTA property, and that any new station should have a built-along development of some kind.

It is, however, important to remember the connection aspects of the new possible stations. While a Miami Circle station wouldn't be connected to much else, an Armor station would have direct connection to the Beltline, and Clifton Corridor.

A Hulsey (Krog St.) Yard station would have direct connection to the Beltline, just like Simpson, Hunter Hills, and Murphy Crossing.

Quote:
New Daily Transfers - Because one of the primary benefits for investing in infill stations is the opportunity to better integrate MARTA rail with existing and future transit options, understanding these connections is of primary interest and is detailed in this section. With that said, assigning ridership
gains for most of these connections is highly speculative. For example, the Beltline would benefit significantly from the streamlined connections provided by several infill stations. But because the Beltline is proposed to connect to MARTA rail anyway (albeit slightly less conveniently), the unknowable answer is how many MORE riders would ride the Beltline and make the transfer BECAUSE of the streamlined connection. For this reason, many of the likely ridership gains made by improved transit connections
are unfortunately not reflected in this study (see Appendix C, table C3.1d). The transfer connections that we can make logical assumptions about are added to both the 2006 Demographic data and
marta infill station study 18 october 2007 : insomnia LLC : market + main, inc. the 2015 TAZ data to deliver the total ridership projected for each station site.
So, a lot of these stations, while scoring lower, might actually experience some of the highest ridership simply because of their connections. Then again, they might be just as under-preforming as expected. I wouldn't mind seeing an updated study for this kinda thing, though I know it'd cost time and money that might not be available.

I think that, were we to continue to fill in TODs, work on MARTA Rail Expansions, Beltline Expansions, and Bus restructuring, serious thought should go into these infills again. After all, if we could realistically pay for the station based on only the expected TOD revenue that would come from there, why shouldn't it be built?

Quote:
I wonder if we could convince GDOT to hand over, or sell at a reasonable price, that land around Inman Park. That is a station that could do some good stuff with development.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Purchasing the parking lot would be a novel idea, but my greater point is that Inman Park and King Memorial are both under utilized stations. Creating an infill station between two stations that are underutilized, seems like a waste of money. I think the TOD at King Memorial is a great idea, can't wait for it to start.
GDOT would have to want to sell it first and the state is not good about selling extra property; eg: Pullman Yards.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:37 AM

28,312 posts, read 24,940,110 times
Quote:
Miami circle is a waste. There is not much over there, except the SFH neighborhood north of the NS tracks and the antiques shops, not much high density. Also, that stretch of rail has a lot of interlocking tracks for the Red/Gold split.
There's a ton of stuff over there, including all the commercial on Miami circle itself. Plus that would give Pine Hills, Peachtree park, Garden hills and all those areas great access to MARTA. It would also tie in to Path 400, which also connects to the Beltline.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's a ton of stuff over there, including all the commercial on Miami circle itself. Plus that would give Pine Hills, Peachtree park, Garden hills and all those areas great access to MARTA. It would also tie in to Path 400, which also connects to the Beltline.
OK, but how does the station get around all the interlocking? Also, those businesses backup to the tracks, with little to no room to spare.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8305...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Old 10-12-2015, 12:17 PM

6,017 posts, read 3,000,854 times
I still think Krog St and Armour should be the top priority, and damn whatever the costs involved. Not because of KSM, or the potential of TOD at either station or whatever, but because of the Beltline, and its light rail corridor (at least the section north of Dekalb Ave).

You just build those 2 stations (designed with LRT platforms incorporated), and you could unlock all these stations along with it (all cheaply built, and with high ridership potential):

Ansley
Piedmont Park/ Amsterdam
Virginia Highland
Ponce City Market
Old Fourth Ward
North Highland

I count at least 8 great new pedestrian connectivity points, including Armour and Krog St. That would bring huge network benefit to all riders and the entire system. So worth it, whatever the engineering challenges would be, or the slight slowdown to the heavy rail lines, or whatever. Just do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta