U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:27 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,014,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
How do you think we could make the MARTA bus more popular, more useful, and higher ridership in most of metro ATL? Among all people of all colors and walks of life and etc.

As far as my ideas, I feel like if they ditched the current route model, and replaced it with a bunch of simple express routes, connecting 1 designated bus station somewhere (like a dense job center area or a park&ride or a sports stadium), to a train station, with no other stops, that would get a lot more people to ride it daily.

And maybe in combo also with some small scope, limited stop, express circulator loop routes, like a circle loop that goes from Dunwoody station for example, with only 3 or 4 key stops at the main large office buildings in the area, then right back to the station. And those stops would not just be a post in the ground with a sign on it, but very designated, with enhanced shelter and seating and lighting.

What are your thoughts on how the game could be majorly changed with the MARTA bus? How to get people to get over the whole negative stigma that is attached to it for many?

Including also if you have any thoughts on how/if designated transit lanes along the roads and streets could work (and be enforced), and how to convince people and the GDOT that we should implement such a system.
Spend more on the rail. It works and is popular....

1) It rarely breaks down
2) It is rarely not on time
3) It is almost impervious to weather
4) Fewer stops....Northside to the airport, 1 hour, give or take.....about as long in a car depending on traffic
5) Cheaper to haul folks over the long run
6) Multi-purpose stations
7) Would relieve the need for so many buses and for those that remain, you could/would have shorter routes.

The rail, over the long run (40-50 years) is far superior. Better get the rails down now as land is only going up in cost. Frankly, I think they need to build that thing as far North as Dawsonville, Far east as Covington, Far South as Griffin, and as Far West as Temple, up the NW corridor to Wade Green, Northeast corridor to Flowery Branch, maybe Gainesville, Out to Athens, Down to Spalding.....do that and watch our traffic drop...we simply can't build anymore highways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 12:08 PM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Quote:
I still think Krog St and Armour should be the top priority, and damn whatever the costs involved. Not because of KSM, or the potential of TOD at either station or whatever, but because of the Beltline, and its light rail corridor (at least the section north of Dekalb Ave).

You just build those 2 stations (designed with LRT platforms incorporated), and you could unlock all these stations along with it (all cheaply built, and with high ridership potential):

Ansley
Piedmont Park/ Amsterdam
Virginia Highland
Ponce City Market
Old Fourth Ward
North Highland

I count at least 8 great new pedestrian connectivity points, including Armour and Krog St. That would bring huge network benefit to all riders and the entire system. So worth it, whatever the engineering challenges would be, or the slight slowdown to the heavy rail lines, or whatever. Just do it!
The current routes under consideration are to use Grant St, which is served by King Memorial, or build a new tunnel. I do not see the second option happening.
All those areas are served by bus.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:48 PM

5,943 posts, read 2,913,549 times
All 38 existing train stations were served by MARTA bus before the rails were built. "Already served by a local bus route" is not a good excuse not to built a permanent light rail line in its own unimpeded right of way, along a corridor that is being designed right now for exactly that. Those are some very key neighborhoods and destinations of Atlanta along there, and need to be on the rail network. Both for residents living around there, and residents elsewhere in the city/burbs, going to there.

The regular Streetcar can use Grant St to connect with King Memorial, that's fine. The MARTA light rail I'm proposing would terminate at Krog St, so it wouldn't need to worry about crossing Hulsey.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
All 38 existing train stations were served by MARTA bus before the rails were built. "Already served by a local bus route" is not a good excuse not to built a permanent light rail line in its own unimpeded right of way, along a corridor that is being designed right now for exactly that. Those are some very key neighborhoods and destinations of Atlanta along there, and need to be on the rail network. Both for residents living around there, and residents elsewhere in the city/burbs, going to there.

The regular Streetcar can use Grant St to connect with King Memorial, that's fine. The MARTA light rail I'm proposing would terminate at Krog St, so it wouldn't need to worry about crossing Hulsey.
The LRT you are referring to is the same thing as the Streetcar. If you knew anything about transit in Atlanta, you would know Atlanta BeltLine and Atlanta Streetcar has joined forces to push for transit. That is the biggest reason why the downtown streetcar uses S70 streetcar vehicles, because they can operate in mixed traffic and in their own ROW.
Environmental Assessments // Atlanta BeltLine

Old 10-12-2015, 02:51 PM

No need to get ugly. I'm aware of all the plans. I'm suggesting my own ideas. I think if the S70 runs on the Beltline, it should be aesthetically branded (and represented on the map) as a MARTA rail line, with a double length and appropriately longer stations. And built right in to 2 new infill HRT stations, for super easy connections.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:24 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,483,416 times
Quote:
No need to get ugly. I'm aware of all the plans. I'm suggesting my own ideas. I think if the S70 runs on the Beltline, it should be aesthetically branded (and represented on the map) as a MARTA rail line, with a double length and appropriately longer stations. And built right in to 2 new infill HRT stations, for super easy connections.
Or you could just put/brand the Atlanta Streetcar system under MARTA.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
The plans are for crosstown routes to use the BeltLine, so having a BeltLine branded LRT will not work, so not branding trains allows for flexibility if there is a shortage or trains have to be moved around.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:52 AM

That is true, good point. Fair enough.

I think you and I and everyone else agrees, that MARTA just needs to completely takeover the operations of the whole streetcar project, and make it their own. Atlanta can still own it and pay for it, but it should be part of the MARTA system.

And I'd so much like to see less mixed traffic operations, more dedicated lane operation for the crosstown and street routes.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
That is true, good point. Fair enough.

I think you and I and everyone else agrees, that MARTA just needs to completely takeover the operations of the whole streetcar project, and make it their own. Atlanta can still own it and pay for it, but it should be part of the MARTA system.

And I'd so much like to see less mixed traffic operations, more dedicated lane operation for the crosstown and street routes.
It has been discussed that MARTA operate the Streetcar/BeltLine transit, but CoA maintain ownership and funding. Similar to how TriMet operates the Portland Streetcar.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:14 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,735,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It has been discussed that MARTA operate the Streetcar/BeltLine transit, but CoA maintain ownership and funding. Similar to how TriMet operates the Portland Streetcar.
Pretty sure that's exactly what they were reffering to. MARTA actually hinted at something like that with the $8 Bil. expansion, that they woukd be open to funding a part of the Beltline / Streetcar, but that opperations would need to be negotiated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta