Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:05 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I was referring to West End, but the areas you suggested may not meet Publix's requirements. East Lake Publix was backed by Big Daddy Cousins.
MARTA has pop up farmers markets at the West End every week. Fresh MARTA Market | Community Farmers Markets
I gotcha... I was referring to West End too at first. And I agree. I was saying that all those areas (Wesley Chapel, Panola, etc) have lesser incomes and FAR lesser home values, yet they have a thriving Publix in each area. The Fresh MARTA Market is cool... but sometimes the West End Mall itself can be a bit of an eyesore. There's nothing wrong with the stores themselves. But the complex looks really dated and is not that aesthetically pleasing. IMHO.

I think it could be a really cool area if there was thoughtful redevelopment there and they could still keep the current businesses with the addition of a few more (in fact, it could bolster them). But I guess time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 01:08 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
I think West End/Adair Park area is going to see massive improvement over Summerhill/Peoplestown in the short term for various reasons. Long-term both areas will see similar success. As cqholt suggested public schools will help summerhill/peoplestown out, but i think home owners looking for successful school districts will seek more stable Eastside neighborhoods for the next 10+ years.
As long as they can afford it... I'm thinking the young pre-baby/young parent crowd will eventually get aggressive with bolstering the inner Westside schools in time. I think they will use the Eastside as a model. And I would imagine they would have their support to accelerate things... But Summerhill/Peoplestown is in the same cluster as Kirkwood, EAV, Reynoldstown, GP, Ormewood Park, East Lake, etc. Plus, the entire cluster is going IB.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:09 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I gotcha... I was referring to West End too at first. And I agree. I was saying that all those areas (Wesley Chapel, Panola, etc) have lesser incomes and FAR lesser home values, yet they have a thriving Publix in each area. The Fresh MARTA Market is cool... but sometimes the West End Mall itself can be a bit of an eyesore. There's nothing wrong with the stores themselves. But the complex looks really dated and is not that aesthetically pleasing. IMHO.

I think it could be a really cool area if there was thoughtful redevelopment there and they could still keep the current businesses with the addition of a few more (in fact, it could bolster them). But I guess time will tell.
Those Publix stores were most likely built when the area had higher incomes.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:13 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
I think West End/Adair Park area is going to see massive improvement over Summerhill/Peoplestown in the short term for various reasons. Long-term both areas will see similar success. As cqholt suggested public schools will help summerhill/peoplestown out, but i think home owners looking for successful school districts will seek more stable Eastside neighborhoods for the next 10+ years.

1) Access to Summerhill/Peoplestown via I-20 and I-75/85 is just poorly designed
2) West End/Adair Park is near the current beltline construction (completion within 2 years)
3) Plans for Turner field are at least 5 years from completion and I think that it will likely be closer to 10 years because the current construction and economic development trends (imo) will fade and end within the next 2-3 years, if not prior.
4) The continued growth of the city core hinges on overall economic conditions and improvement of public policies (transportation initiatives, etc.) and unfortunately at this time the city and state continue to drop the ball
It's not just the redevelopment of Turner Field--the momentum on the east-side is pretty overwhelming, and I would guess that anything resembling a nice development will draw Summerhill into it. I don't know enough about West End to really make a comparison--but, I do think that Summerhill's future looks pretty good.

(BTW, access via I-20 and I-75/85 not all that great for a ballgame, but plenty good for an Intown neighborhood--and, a severe downturn would hurt everybody--I think it killed both West End and Summerhill last time out--hope it doesn't happen--but if you are on a five year plan, and you think a downturn is likely, you probably shouldn't buy anywhere. I think Turner Field redevelopment will survive a mild slowdown and will still be enough to give Summerhill a boost).

Last edited by jeoff; 09-24-2015 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: