U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:30 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,705,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Let's send them to Cobb!?

Looks like Cobb's working through it's own issues:

Woman robbed, shot in mouth at Akers Mill Shopping Center | www.wsbtv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,238,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Looks like Cobb's working through it's own issues:

Woman robbed, shot in mouth at Akers Mill Shopping Center | www.wsbtv.com
But that's near the Braves Stadium! What ever will we do?
All this crime and no MARTA.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
But that's near the Braves Stadium! What ever will we do?
All this crime and no MARTA.
On a serious note though, I am curious about the root causes of this uptick in violent crime. This stuff doesn't typically reach the outer counties, but Cobb, Gwinnet, Newton, Fayette....lots of stuff going on lately.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:06 PM

675 posts, read 1,018,408 times
Quote:
On a serious note though, I am curious about the root causes of this uptick in violent crime. This stuff doesn't typically reach the outer counties, but Cobb, Gwinnet, Newton, Fayette....lots of stuff going on lately.

I agree! Its crazy. Gwinnett to me has changed. It's a different feel all the way up to Boggs Road. After Boggs Road headed 85 and 316 you've got your heyday Gwinnett feel.... But even pockets of 316 are rough. But honestly, it's just sociology and the flow of people. When people see areas change, they move, and people don't want to be around mixed incomes which translates to types of people in terms of all kinda socio-economic issues.... Then mix that with the gentrification of Atlanta and you have people moving to the burbs in masses. It's just the city getting bigger and expanding. I think we'll continue to see this creep into the burbs as the city builds more and more and tears down affordable housing, pushing people out to the burbs. IMO Cobb is seeing a huge creep just like Gwinnett. The "New Burbs" are def Cherokee and Forsyth...

Last edited by coolieandre; 09-25-2015 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: .

Old 09-25-2015, 01:25 PM

4,131 posts, read 3,240,818 times
Quote:
In most places crime has been decreasing since the 90s. But with today's information age all it takes is one news report and people freak out

Old 09-25-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
In most places crime has been decreasing since the 90s. But with today's information age all it takes is one news report and people freak out

Except there is a documented uptick in the Metro - more murders, and a hell of a lot more car theft than previous years.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is some new gang getting powerful. But these one-man violent robberies don't jibe with that. But maybe it does. I don't know.

Armed robbery is one thing. Armed robbery where they actually just go ahead and shoot instead of threatening to shoot is something different.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:46 PM

4,131 posts, read 3,240,818 times
Quote:
Except there is a documented uptick in the Metro - more murders, and a hell of a lot more car theft than previous years.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is some new gang getting powerful. But these one-man violent robberies don't jibe with that. But maybe it does. I don't know.

Armed robbery is one thing. Armed robbery where they actually just go ahead and shoot instead of threatening to shoot is something different.
Documented as in PD data or GBI data showing an uptick? Or just people posting on an online forum.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Documented as in PD data or GBI data showing an uptick? Or just people posting on an online forum.
PD data. UCRs haven't been compiled yet.

Is it lower than say....90s, yeah probably, but it is bucking the downward trend so far this year. I just read an article about this in the last couple days but I cant find it.

here's the APD report as of last week. It is slightly up over the last couple of years, but obviously is only CoA and does not represent the region:

http://www.atlantapd.org/pdf/crime-d...702BE6C634.pdf

Old 09-25-2015, 04:33 PM

3,454 posts, read 2,836,615 times
One crime happens in Gwinnett-all of Gwinnett must be avoided. Everybody start fleeing to Hall.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:40 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,658,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hitting the pavement is probably good advice if the shooters happen to know what they are doing.

However, I seriously doubt that these idiots had any marksman training. Despite firing a dozen shots they were unable to hit anybody other than an innocent bystander.
This is the advice my father gave me if I ever hear shots firing. It seems like a bad idea to me, but I guess it's better than running in a straight line.

What a mess! If I got shot at all much less trying to get some gas, I'd be so disgusted with the shooters that I wouldn't know what to do. Of things that could wrong, shooting around gas tanks is way low on my list of preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or