U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 08:35 AM

28,186 posts, read 24,748,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
The only busy street I'm on often is Peachtree in Midtown. I see a lot there, but there are also a TON who use 5th street.
I'm there several times a week and rarely see cyclists on Peachtree in Midtown. I've made a point to go up and down 5th street a number of times and have only seen a handful of cyclists there. Maybe we are just coming and going at different times of day.

I'll check out Grant park. What is the best time to see these cyclists?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 08:39 AM

225 posts, read 172,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm there several times a week and rarely see cyclists on Peachtree in Midtown. I've made a point to go up and down 5th street a number of times and have only seen a handful of cyclists there. Maybe we are just coming and going at different times of day.
Why are you so obsessed with "seeing" cyclists in Midtown. I saw at least 10 this morning on my ride in. I was behind 3 at the 5th and Juniper light and saw 4 others using the 10th street cycle track. A cyclist went through the light at Peachree right before I crossed.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
Where do you drive Arjay? There most cyclists are seen from Atlanta University to Downtown and Midtown to Inman Park to Kirkwood to Decatur. There are more when the colleges are in session. There are some good flat routes, a lot of colleges, slower traffic and better routes in that area. Remember that a cycle takes a lot less room than a car so two or three bikes looks like nothing. I counted 16 bikes on my morning commute on 10th street cycle track last week.
kferg, thanks. I usually don't go south of Ponce (on Peachtree), although I'm a big fan of downtown and still go there when I get a chance.

And it could be I'm just looking at the wrong time of day. I generally avoid rush hour and go either well before or after.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 AM

743 posts, read 653,995 times
Quote:

Carefuly, Arjay. I'm starting to detect an obsession...

Old 11-20-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
Why are you so obsessed with "seeing" cyclists in Midtown. I saw at least 10 this morning on my ride in. I was behind 3 at the 5th and Juniper light and saw 4 others using the 10th street cycle track. A cyclist went through the light at Peachree right before I crossed.
I'm not obsessed, just trying to get a handle on demand.

As I say, I support bike lanes as a matter of good urban form, but do they really bring out more cyclists?

Old 11-20-2015, 09:08 AM

7,713 posts, read 9,573,524 times
Great question. I don't know the answer...I think cycling will always remain niche.

I think back to my college days. That year without a car, but in a college town where everything you could possibly need was within a mile or two. I couldn't WAIT to bring my car to school, and once I did, I never really rode my bike again (except to class, most of the buildings were not accessible by car). Trying to carry groceries on a bike, riding in the heat, taking 45 minutes to go get a simple item....no, thank you. And the rain. Oh, the rain!

Atlanta can do what it wants, and I don't care if they want to build bike lanes.

But I can say for myself, that I will never, ever, EVER voluntarily ride a bike again to run errands, just for pleasure. I've been down that road before and I didn't like it one bit.

That may not be the majority opinion on this board, representing a microcosm of Atlanta, but I bet it is out there in the real world.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:11 AM

985 posts, read 1,432,657 times
Quote:

As I say, I support bike lanes as a matter of good urban form, but do they really bring out more cyclists?
Yes, use the same logic as we do with roads. If you build an extra lane, more cars will follow. Induced demand works for all forms of transportation. See MARTA trains as an example, cutting headway from 15 to 10 created more riders, even when gas prices dropped.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:12 AM

225 posts, read 172,886 times
Quote:
So in your opinion, the best way to get a "handle on demand" is one person driving around Midtown counting cyclists?

Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 AM

7,713 posts, read 9,573,524 times
Quote:
Yes, use the same logic as we do with roads. If you build an extra lane, more cars will follow.
Let's use that logic.

So if we build more bike lanes, more bicyclist will use them. That's cool, what a great solution for today.

But what happens in 15 years, using this logic? Won't those bike lanes become congested and we will face terrible bike traffic? Well, then we can just build more bike lanes, right? But if you can't build your way out of a traffic problem, won't this just contribute to even MORE bike traffic? So how are we going to solve the problem of bike gridlock?

Old 11-20-2015, 09:45 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,161,191 times
Quote:

I think if you're looking for commuters, the same time as everybody who drives - during rush hour. I come in and out during rush our and typically see 15+ bicyclists along my route. Also, in this area, lots of cyclists are out on weekends heading to restaurants and stuff. I mean, lots of us use a bike for everything others use a car for. I'm out on my bike for everything I do that's from Midtown on south.

I will NOT ride a bike in Buckhead or generally anything north of a Midtown/Virginia Highland line. The roads become too suburban-like...hilly, curvy, not a lot of stop lights, etc. Also, people in those areas that roads were built after cars became dominant tend to be a lot more aggressive towards anybody not in a car than in areas of the city where the landscape was built to accommodate non-motorized traffic, from my own personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or