U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:42 PM

9,918 posts, read 6,912,792 times

Advertisements

Atlanta Officials Approve Plans For 31 Miles Of Bike Lanes | WABE 90.1 FM

Quote:
This week, the Atlanta City Council approved some new transit initiatives. Officials hope the projects will spur interest and investment.

One part of the plan, called Connect Atlanta, adds 31 miles of bike lanes to several areas, including Midtown and downtown. City Councilman Kwanza Hall represents some of the areas where those lanes will be. He says they’ll help attract people to the center of town.

http://www.atlantaga.gov/modules/sho...cumentid=11173
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 06:44 PM

54 posts, read 50,703 times
That's great! There doesn't seem to be any indication of when these will be done, though.

Further, will these add to the 121 miles of bike lanes Reed promised to add to the city? Or is this just another 31 out of the 121?

Old 09-24-2015, 06:55 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,158,199 times
Looks fantastic. I'll gladly bike in a protected cycle track on West Peachtree rather than taking the lane on Peachtree, as I do now. The only addition I'd like to see is a cycle track on Spring Street. With all the new towers there, I am seeing more and more people biking up the hill north of Tech Square, and it looks very dangerous. I personally wouldn't do it. There is plenty of room on that street to take a lane and add bike facilities.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,928,617 times
This looks awesome

I wish it was ALL Raised & protected... Would take away a lot of driving lanes, but would add a LOT of character to the city. A lot more pedestrian friendly. A LOT more space for walkers and bikers. Would promote more street level business along the paths.
And would look nice with all the potted greenery.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:19 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,384,003 times
So is it funded? That's always the catch here in Atlanta...

Old 09-24-2015, 11:09 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,783,904 times
I read the report (dated 2013?) Interesting about the app that Atlanta cyclists can use to track their mileage and demographics -- the information is used to track bicycle routes and refine plans for paths and what kind are needed.

Cycle Atlanta

Old 11-19-2015, 06:31 PM

28,150 posts, read 24,687,439 times
If this is the wrong thread for this question I apologize.

Where are Atlanta's cyclists?

Personally I support bike lanes as a matter of good urban form.

However, I've been making a concerted effort for the last several months to spot cyclists and they are very few and far between.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:12 AM

913 posts, read 982,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

However, I've been making a concerted effort for the last several months to spot cyclists and they are very few and far between.
Prob afraid to be run over by car-is-king atlanta people

Old 11-20-2015, 06:34 AM

280 posts, read 293,568 times
Quote:

Where do you drive Arjay? There most cyclists are seen from Atlanta University to Downtown and Midtown to Inman Park to Kirkwood to Decatur. There are more when the colleges are in session. There are some good flat routes, a lot of colleges, slower traffic and better routes in that area. Remember that a cycle takes a lot less room than a car so two or three bikes looks like nothing. I counted 16 bikes on my morning commute on 10th street cycle track last week.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:51 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,158,199 times
Quote:

If you're on busy streets most of the time with no bicycle infrastructure, you're probably not seeing many. The only busy street I'm on often is Peachtree in Midtown. I see a lot there, but there are also a TON who use 5th street. The most cyclists I see are in Grant Park (everyday on my way home, I see at least 15 other bikes commuters coming in/going out of this neighborhood) and other east side neighborhoods. Anywhere even remotely close to the East Side Trail has cyclists coming in and out a lot, and most of the businesses have set up bike racks. With parking being minimal in that area, cycling/walking/MARTA are becoming the easiest way to get around, and you see a lot more people taking advantage of this now as infrastructure has been added.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or