U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:47 PM

119 posts, read 206,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
The HOA is not likely to make an exception for one person, whether you have a solid argument or counterpoint, or not. In our community, privacy fences are permitted only in interior yards; those with what are called amenity lots (whose backyards can be seen from the main streets) are required to use split-rail only. Homeowners can use the mesh wiring, however.
And the homeowners on amenity lots are fine with the disparity allowing some to have privacy fences and others not to have? What is the argument your HOA got for this?

Last edited by ridesmart; 09-24-2015 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 07:07 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,673,077 times
There is no accounting for taste. If it came down to a chainlink fence (no matter the color) or a privacy fence, I'd opt for a privacy fence every time. Now, for some logic in what they may be thinking, if someone is driving through the subdivision considering a purchase, they get to see more properties at once with see-through fences. I do not see how that helps with resale value but could help with quantity of resells.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 AM

183 posts, read 283,335 times
I think if you can see through all the yards, the open area feels more spacious. Putting up wood plank privacy fences would chop up the "view". That's probably why i think. We have the same restriction in our new neighborhood...

Old 09-25-2015, 09:41 AM

7,750 posts, read 9,626,927 times
Quote:
I wanted to understand how/why the builder/HOA come up with such a conclusion
Who knows? It could be anything.

Maybe the builder's grandfather's niece doesn't like them. Maybe workers complain about splinters. You'll probably never know why, but I highly doubt you'll ever find a comparative study linking the types of fences people have to resale values, and I'm almost positive that the builder didn't use anything close to metrics that logical.

However, anecdotally, I can tell you that privacy fences to tend to look ratty after a while. Take a look at one that's been around 20 years. Planks fall, they warp, at the very least, they need to be painted. The HOA probably doesn't want to have to go around enforcing a bunch of rules around fence upkeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or