U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-24-2015, 03:45 PM
 
119 posts, read 204,841 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

We are looking at a new construction in cumming area. We were told that only type of fences allowed in the subdivision are "aluminium (black) see through fences". The reason we were told was "privacy fences" spoil the look of the "costly/richness" of the sub division and may impact the resale. I would like to ask
- is this true that the privacy fences spoil the look and make the neighborhood look low scale?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2015, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
4,702 posts, read 3,230,405 times
Reputation: 5129
Yes! they look great when first installed, but turn gray and warp after a few years and look like hell....

Get the aluminum fence and if you have small pets, you can also have them install a black mesh around the perimeter to keep small pets from getting through. They tie wrap this to the bottom of the fence. Something like this (just make sure it's approved) >

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 03:59 PM
 
119 posts, read 204,841 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yes! they look great when first installed, but turn gray and warp after a few years and look like hell....

Get the aluminum and if you have small pets, you can have them install a black mesh to keep small pets from getting through.
Thanks. Is there any objective study or is it purely personal opinion to support the aluminum fence over the privacy fence? I am just wondering, but not questioning your input.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
4,702 posts, read 3,230,405 times
Reputation: 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesmart View Post
Thanks. Is there any objective study or is it purely personal opinion to support the aluminum fence over the privacy fence? I am just wondering, but not questioning your input.
Good question and I don't know. All I can offer is my subjective opinion.

But if you look at any high-end neighborhood, you will almost always find only ornamental fencing allowed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 04:05 PM
 
7,711 posts, read 9,545,692 times
Reputation: 5678
Quote:
is this true that the privacy fences spoil the look and make the neighborhood look low scale?
Is it possible to supply an objective answer to this question? The nature of the question itself is subjective.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 04:12 PM
 
119 posts, read 204,841 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Is it possible to supply an objective answer to this question? The nature of the question itself is subjective.
LOL. I agree.
What I am looking for is some sort of statistics in terms of factors affecting resale or opinion polls. Some thing to back up the arguments/counter arguments.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 04:15 PM
 
35,121 posts, read 37,872,955 times
Reputation: 61847
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesmart View Post
LOL. I agree.
What I am looking for is some sort of statistics in terms of factors affecting resale or opinion polls. Some thing to back up the arguments/counter arguments.
What you are looking for means nothing when someone else is telling you what you can or cannot use on the property you are using your money to purchase.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
4,702 posts, read 3,230,405 times
Reputation: 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What you are looking for means nothing when someone else is telling you what you can or cannot use on the property you are using your money to purchase.
yep, if the HOA says it's so, it is so! Don't bother trying to reason with the HOA... If you truly want privacy fencing, buy a home without an HOA or find a subdivision that allows it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 04:24 PM
 
119 posts, read 204,841 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
yep, if the HOA says it's so, it is so! Don't bother trying to reason with the HOA... If you truly want privacy fencing, buy a home without an HOA or find a subdivision that allows it.
No. I wanted to understand how/why the builder/HOA come up with such a conclusion. Obviously they do not want to loose a prospective buyer. I am curious and trying to understand the reasons. I find lot of knowledge on this forum, hence looking for the feedback
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 05:13 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,110,355 times
Reputation: 1225
The HOA is not likely to make an exception for one person, whether you have a solid argument or counterpoint, or not. In our community, privacy fences are permitted only in interior yards; those with what are called amenity lots (whose backyards can be seen from the main streets) are required to use split-rail only. Homeowners can use the mesh wiring, however.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top