U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:41 AM

1,189 posts, read 738,355 times

Advertisements

OP, if this thread doesn't garner much response to your liking, the Education forum might have some ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 03:06 PM

97 posts, read 199,925 times
Thx Fubarbundy. Will try that.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:58 AM

1,964 posts, read 1,650,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Move to a different area. If you are in South Fulton you can do a lot better. Also elementary isn't going to be be challenging anywhere. If they are gifted, get them on the gifted track. Otherwise you won't have any sort of separation until high school.
If above will not work for you, here are a few other ideas:
If art and music are extremely important to you, get private lessons. Get kids on gifted track. There should be some communication with regular classes--teacher blog-newsletter, and math homework. If they aren't doing very well in class, use this as a starting point. If they are doing well, and you want them to learn more--maybe consider fun learning activities. I don't know their ages, but there are free introduction to coding courses for kids on the web (maybe called 60 minutes of code, or something like that). If they goes well, MIT has a free relatively kid-friendly programming language that you could learn together --SCRATCH--available on line. Also, believe it or not, I learned a lot about what my kids did and did not know by having them take practice CRCT tests that are available on line--you can find gaps in their knowledge and work on that. Have them read and write stories, etc..

Old 09-27-2015, 02:26 AM

4,515 posts, read 3,796,152 times
No help here, I'm afraid -- that's why we went private. We had originally bought in a good school district, but got redistricted, and the new school just wasn't up to snuff. Loved our home and neighborhood and proximity to work -- so private school it was. And even then, there were a few less-than-challenging classes -- but the school was willing to work with them and challenge them with enrichment classes, etc.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:20 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,565,562 times
You shouldn't fault all public schools for what you see as shortcomings with one of them. If you don't like the school in your area it's up to you to look at other schools...you might not even need to move.

You can't expect your kids to get complex music instruction in a school setting. The students have various experiences with music and it has to be taught with that in mind. Of course some kids are more advanced, and I would think you could get private music lessons for more advanced learning. I could read music in elementary school but I didn't go expecting to advance my skills at school - I had a private music teacher.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:56 PM

97 posts, read 199,925 times
To JoeTarheel: Well, I guess I'm comparing their experience with the private school they attended. Again, we didn't spend a lot of money on the school, it was VERY affordable. But it also had nothing on schools like Westminster, Woodward, etc. I just thought that the public school would surely have more to offer than a little, bitty school that didn't have even 75 kids in it total. There, they took chorus, had multiple performances throughout the year, and learned to not only read music but play the recorder.

What are my other public/free options? Everything is by neighborhood and attendance zone, right? At least for Elementary.

Thx to Jeoff for the ideas. Recently moved into our home, but bought with the expectation that the kids wouldn't set foot in local public schools. If I had had any inclination that we would go this route, I wouldn't have purchased in the area. :-(

Old 09-28-2015, 02:00 PM

1,686 posts, read 1,681,387 times
Have you looked into Chattahoochee Hills Charter School? It may be full for this year, but you could enter the lottery and try for next year, and connect with parents and the board there this year. Great place. If I lived in South Fulton, I'd be trying like crazy to get my kids there.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:24 PM

14,507 posts, read 7,147,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlias View Post
So, does anyone have recommendations on how to supplement their education? I don't feel like they are going to get everything they need. What do people do to add to their learning?

Also, I'm a little surprised that I'm not hearing from the pro-public folks on the site. Usually, when people post questions about private school, they can't even get answers, because all the pro-public posters come out swinging in favor of public over private. Well, now that I'm in it, I was actually hoping to hear from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlias View Post
To JoeTarheel: Well, I guess I'm comparing their experience with the private school they attended. Again, we didn't spend a lot of money on the school, it was VERY affordable. But it also had nothing on schools like Westminster, Woodward, etc. I just thought that the public school would surely have more to offer than a little, bitty school that didn't have even 75 kids in it total. There, they took chorus, had multiple performances throughout the year, and learned to not only read music but play the recorder.

What are my other public/free options? Everything is by neighborhood and attendance zone, right? At least for Elementary.

Thx to Jeoff for the ideas. Recently moved into our home, but bought with the expectation that the kids wouldn't set foot in local public schools. If I had had any inclination that we would go this route, I wouldn't have purchased in the area. :-(
I think its the school your kids are attending.

Look into public charter schools - those are free but require a lottery and/or waitlist.

Also for additional supplement, use khanacademy.com and have your kids do 30 minutes a day of math and alternate with a subject on the site they are interested in.

FWIW, I'm a big supporter of public schools but I also am one who is very much into curriculum and the type of school that my kids go to. Also, I did feel that outside of the charter my kids went to that high school especially was not up to part IMO so we moved back to my home state due to my oldest almost being high school aged. He is doing much more in school now than he would have been doing in our zoned high school in Atlanta and due to them halting a lot of inter-district transfers in the city of Atlanta, I didn't want to chance him going to a sub-par school. Both my kids now go to public magnet schools, meaning they are public and free but they offer a much more challenging curriculum and the schools have the option of expelling trouble students or those who don't have at least a 2.5 gpa.

ETA: If you cannot afford private anymore, would homeschooling be an option? There are many free online public charter schools today where they will set your kids up with computers and they can work on a curriculum at home at their own pace.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:06 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,990,528 times
OP, you can get the books mailed. Just purchase used on Amazon.com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Its not unusable now to not get physical text books in schools, They have a classroom set(s), and copies that can be check out of the library for the semester.

All my Son's books were PDF's on the School's Portal he ( I ) could review/access them from there.

For student without online access, or just wanted the paper copy they had copies in the library that could be checked out for the length of the class, or for a "Normal" check-out of two weeks.

Part of the Drive to PDF copies is Cost, also it a "Health & Safety" thing so the student don't have to haul around 20+ pounds of book to/from school, in DayPacks, or the rolling suitcases some students were using.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:20 PM

16 posts, read 17,753 times
that's our experience with APS middle school as well - not the lack of books, but the underwhelming part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or