U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:25 PM

4,131 posts, read 3,237,580 times

Advertisements

Decatur would be great, even has excellent schools, but that budget would get blown to smithereens. There are a lot of options, even if places weren't designed to be walkable, you can still find houses that happen to be near town centers or other developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:26 PM

7,712 posts, read 9,565,954 times
Do you mean close to a giant lake where you can go boating and water skiing, or a beauty lake that you can just walk around and feed the ducks in?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:28 PM

60 posts, read 30,944 times
I'm an intown loyalist, but if you want to be in the suburbs and want a walkable community, it's hard to beat Marietta Square. Lots of restaurants and shops as well as events year round. John Wieland is building directly on the square. I think some of the townhomes are in the $300k neighborhood, but I don't think you can get in under $300k. As much as I am an urban dweller, I gave serious consideration to moving to Marietta Square.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:23 PM

10 posts, read 6,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Do you mean close to a giant lake where you can go boating and water skiing, or a beauty lake that you can just walk around and feed the ducks in?

Just to sit & enjoy the beauty.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Decatur would be great, even has excellent schools, but that budget would get blown to smithereens. There are a lot of options, even if places weren't designed to be walkable, you can still find houses that happen to be near town centers or other developments.

That sounds great too. Any town centers you could suggest?

Old 09-28-2015, 02:34 PM

Thank you all so much for the suggestions so many places weren't even on my radar and thanks to you guys I'm getting closer. Buford looks great and affordable so far!

Old 09-28-2015, 02:39 PM

7,712 posts, read 9,565,954 times
Well, everyone is partial to their own neighborhoods, but I think the people steering you intown are pushing you in the wrong direction since that's not what you asked for.

What I can tell you, since you are only looking for a beauty lake, is to take a look in western Gwinnett county. There is a community called Berkeley Lake that is built on a lake that is quite nice. Then there are lots of neighborhood lakes, like Cardinal Lake, Norman Lake, and many other unnamed lakes in Duluth/Suwanee.

I lived in Florida, like you, and really missed being around the water all the time. So now I live on a lake. Like, literally, it's in my backyard, just like a lot of the houses in Florida have. I consider my neighborhood walkable because it has sidewalks, but it's not walkable in the sense of going to a restaurant would require a half a mile walk, and some of that would be along a pretty major road.

But I also got in a price point considerably less than what you are talking about.

Here's the bottom line: you'll probably have to give up something on your list. I'm assuming its walkability, which is why I'm suggesting this area. If you'd rather give up being in a quiet area, then intown might be a good option...just can't imagine anything of much quality with what you're looking for at your price point.

I would also suggest the Lake Windward area of Alpharetta. You won't get ON the lake for that price, but you'll be in a lake community.

Between the Big Creek Greenway, Suwanee Greenway, and Gwinnett County parks, you're pretty much always close to walking trails in North Fulton/West Gwinnett. But you're not walkable, that's pretty true.

I also value being close to the Chattahoochee River, if that matters to you. Technically, it's walking distance, but I take the 2 minute drive versus 20 minute walk.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, everyone is partial to their own neighborhoods, but I think the people steering you intown are pushing you in the wrong direction since that's not what you asked for.

What I can tell you, since you are only looking for a beauty lake, is to take a look in western Gwinnett county. There is a community called Berkeley Lake that is built on a lake that is quite nice. Then there are lots of neighborhood lakes, like Cardinal Lake, Norman Lake, and many other unnamed lakes in Duluth/Suwanee.

I lived in Florida, like you, and really missed being around the water all the time. So now I live on a lake. Like, literally, it's in my backyard, just like a lot of the houses in Florida have. I consider my neighborhood walkable because it has sidewalks, but it's not walkable in the sense of going to a restaurant would require a half a mile walk, and some of that would be along a pretty major road.

But I also got in a price point considerably less than what you are talking about.

Here's the bottom line: you'll probably have to give up something on your list. I'm assuming its walkability, which is why I'm suggesting this area. If you'd rather give up being in a quiet area, then intown might be a good option...just can't imagine anything of much quality with what you're looking for at your price point.

I would also suggest the Lake Windward area of Alpharetta. You won't get ON the lake for that price, but you'll be in a lake community.

Between the Big Creek Greenway, Suwanee Greenway, and Gwinnett County parks, you're pretty much always close to walking trails in North Fulton/West Gwinnett. But you're not walkable, that's pretty true.

I also value being close to the Chattahoochee River, if that matters to you. Technically, it's walking distance, but I take the 2 minute drive versus 20 minute walk.
Safety & Quiet is number 1 on my list ! Can't give that up at all. I appreciate the quiet so much more after living in SFla!

Old 09-28-2015, 03:08 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,656,044 times
Finding water in the metro ATL area is a situation. I'm not suggesting that you cannot find some neighborhoods backed up to the man-made version of a likeYou that I'd call a wading pool.

You'll probably have your best luck in Cobb County. When you add your other criterion like walkability and $300K, it makes it exceptionally difficult.

I think maybe look at Roswell for the best combo of what your'e seeking.

I'm not saying most of Atlanta is as expensive as South Beach, but it really isn't cheap.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:00 PM

13,160 posts, read 15,975,264 times
You might like Peachtree City. Planned community, very suburban and safe, 100 miles of paved walking / biking paths, 3 lakes, 3 golf courses, lots of shopping and restaurants accessible via golf cart, excellent schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or