U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:03 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,102,824 times

Advertisements

Add Gainesville to your list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 05:16 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,223,086 times
Berkeley Lake could be nice. Suwanee has really good schools and is safe. They have their new(ish) town center with lots of family friendly events, and shops and restaurants. But, you'd have to get lucky to find something within walking distance. Also, Gwinnett has a great park system. Basically all of Alpharetta is safe and has good schools. Downtown is small but decently nice. The new thing there is the Avalon development. Just to the south Roswell has a nice little strip and is right next the Chattahoochee. Plenty of walking and biking trails along the river as well as some access points. Marietta has already been mentioned. Woodstock has a nice city center. Acworth has from what I've heard, a smaller but very pretty city center, I believe it's been filmed in a lot of movies. Both Woodstock and Acworth will be near Lake Allatoona. Peachtree City on the southside has a few lakes and while not necessarily walk friendly, it is known for it's extensive golf cart trails. Also has great schools.

You really have quite a few options. They won't be designed to be walkable, but you can get lucky on occasion. Also, a lot of developments (like Avalon) are going towards a one stop setup. Instead of driving from store to store and strip mall to strip mall you drive once. Lots of restaurants, shops, events, dessert places, etc. Shoppes at Webb Gin (formerly the Avenue) is like this, I think there were sister properties in Forsyth and Peachtree City. Can't guarantee walking to get coffee and donuts in the morning, but there are plenty of safe areas with great schools.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 6,631 times
Thank you! Yes, there are just SO MANY options it's really great! Can't wait to get there and visit a few locations to get a good feel of the different areas. You all have found even more great areas for me to consider that I didn't really know about. Thank you all so much!

Old 09-28-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelylove View Post
Thank you! Yes, there are just SO MANY options it's really great! Can't wait to get there and visit a few locations to get a good feel of the different areas. You all have found even more great areas for me to consider that I didn't really know about. Thank you all so much!
It will definitely help to visit these places and really see what the vibe is like. It's hard to really judge an area until you're actually there.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:31 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,589,949 times
Marietta or Decatur.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:36 PM

616 posts, read 877,820 times
Unlikely you'll find what you are looking for at the 300k price point. You won't find ATL to be any cheaper than South Florida, for sure.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:48 PM

148 posts, read 176,980 times
Smyrna, all of the following neighborhoods meet your criteria, including your price point, and there is a bike share program if you don't like walking:

Church St
Lee St
Dunn St
Medlin St
McLinden
Bank St
Roswell St

Old 09-30-2015, 06:17 AM

1,154 posts, read 2,270,036 times
Check out Roswell (the area around Canton Street) or possibly downtown Woodstock.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:58 PM

10 posts, read 6,631 times
What do you guys think about Johns Creek? I notice it hasn't been mentioned but seems nice.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:42 PM

Johns Creek has some of the best schools and one of the lowest crime rates. It's a great area, but it's pretty much all suburban design, I can't really think of any sort of downtown area. I had heard they were trying to plan something, but I'm not sure where that's at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or