Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 74,135 times

Advertisements

Comcast charges $60/month for high-speed internet, $20 more than what we are paying now (Earthlink, not available in ATL). We wouldn't mind too much paying for decent service, but Comcast also gets some of the worst reviews I have read. This just seems outrageous (especially considering the fact that some cities, e.g. Carrboro, NC, provide public wireless internet for free)! Is there no choice but be exploited by the telecom industry? Having high speed internet is important to us. We have not had any experience with DSL, but we heard it was way too slow compared to cable... Is there a way out here?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 07:26 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springgarden View Post
Comcast charges $60/month for high-speed internet, $20 more than what we are paying now (Earthlink, not available in ATL). We wouldn't mind too much paying for decent service, but Comcast also gets some of the worst reviews I have read. This just seems outrageous (especially considering the fact that some cities, e.g. Carrboro, NC, provide public wireless internet for free)! Is there no choice but be exploited by the telecom industry? Having high speed internet is important to us. We have not had any experience with DSL, but we heard it was way too slow compared to cable... Is there a way out here?!

DO NOT GET COMCAST! They absolutely suck! I had them when I lived in Florida with no problems, and then I moved to Georgia and BAM! They had horrible service and even worse customer service. I ended up canceling with them and they kept charging me because I never canceled. I said I had and then they told me to PROVE IT!!! Can you tell this is a sore spot for me?

They ended up sending me to collection over the disputed amount that they kept charging me when I had disconnected! I will never, no matter what coupons or incentives they mail me will sign up with them again. Everyone I have spoken to in my neighborhood that has had them told me they had problems.

I use Bellsouth for DSL and it is fine, the difference was not big enough for me to deal with Comcast.

I use Directv for cable and they know how to treat their customers!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 PM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I use Bellsouth for DSL and it is fine, the difference was not big enough for me to deal with Comcast.

I use Directv for cable and they know how to treat their customers!
We had Bellsouth in Florida along with Directv as well. We did the same when we moved to Ga, but the DSL is fast, but not as fast as in FL...I have heard that comcast is the worst.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Comcast customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. But their internet service has never been disappointing. I have not lost it once since I got it a year ago.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 PM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
Direct TV. changing to Comcast is that their HD service is not expensive. But if you ever need customer service, forget about it. The call center is good, but the local comcast is terrible.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Comcast is horrible. Everyone I know in my area (west cobb) that has tried their internet services has wound up dumping it. Service is bad as well as customer service.

I signed up a long time ago with Mindspring DSL back when you didn't have a choice of speeds and it was new. Earthlink absorbed Mindspring a while back and service has very slowly, but surely, gone downhill ever since. Outages are happening now on a weekly basis at least, and when you call support - you guessed it - India. Try live support via the web and again, you're talking in a bubble to someone overseas who ALWAYS tells you it's your computer, your modem, or, just YOU. Then it clears up magically on it's own later.

Bellsouth had a "decent" rating, but of course now it's been taken over by AT&T which in the past has shown they really know how to mess stuff up when they tinker with it. So far I haven't heard of any complaints about the AT&T service YET, so that might unfortunately be the best route to go.

Satellite DSL service is an alternative for those who live in areas where nothing else is available. But there is a slight delay with satellite, so if you like to use certain things like live videochat, it has irritating delays.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,948 times
Comcast is the devil.

I dropped them like a hot potato after a few overcharges AND after losing my service for days on end more than once thanks to a rainstorm.

We settled for Directv and Bellsouth/AT&T's DSL. I have yet to lose my DSL service during rainy weather (like I did Comcast)

Old 07-21-2007, 03:45 AM

878 posts, read 2,737,715 times
Interestingly enough, I have Comcast and habe never had a problem losing service so I never had to call customer service

Old 07-21-2007, 04:15 AM

88 posts, read 491,368 times
Comcast does have some technical and customer service issues. My parents live in Florida and I was the guilty one to cancel their regular service and switch to comcast. What a waste! I can tell you that they willnot be my provider once I settle in our home. Thanks for brining this "thread/subject/" up!

Old 07-21-2007, 06:26 AM

196 posts, read 732,394 times
Go with Bellsouth (AT &T) and get the phone, DSL, and DirectTV all in a package and save money. I have had Comcast and Earthlink and Bellsouth far exceeds both of these....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta