Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 04:33 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
So basically it's battle of the biggest tax breaks.
I'm not the biggest fan of incentives but we are no longer living in a world where national economies are protected. All we are told is that these giant companies and their investment capital backers (the capital "herd") can move around the world with ease and no one can stop them (making or breaking economies in the process). Not even national governments. We are told that if any one location decides not to bow to the whims of the "herd," they can pack up and stampede elsewhere and begin grazing anew. We are told this is "globalization." In fact, some now say that multinationals and the global capital investors are largely immune to regulatory authority at all and that the nation-state is losing it's sway. We are told that corporate powers like GE are so powerful that governments must now chase after them and to gain their favor, must suspend their regulatory powers. Over the top? I used to think so, but am now starting to wonder. What are the consequences of this ever growing corporate power and influence? If governments are reduced, who provides any oversight? Even though I believe in a mostly free market, I don't think anything should be all-powerful. I personally don't feel that a totalitarian corporate world is any better than a totalitarian governmental one.

GE's move and the questions raised is a conversation that we will all have to have eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 11:16 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I seriously doubt that many GE folks will be interested in buying stuff at 3:00 in the morning.
Especially water hoses and guns.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:46 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times
Quote:
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed is ready to offer whatever it takes in the form of tax incentives to convince General Electric Co. to move its headquarters to the city, Bloomberg News reported Thursday.
“We will be offering whatever is reasonable to get it done if we have the opportunity,” Reed told Bloomberg during a meeting with its editorial board. “Having one of the 10 most important companies in the world put their logo over the city of Atlanta skyline is not just about the tax-break number. It is about what it says to the world.”
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/b...act-ge-to.html

Old 11-05-2015, 05:46 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Well, there goes his negotiating leverage...

"Yes,Mr. Car Dealer, I must have that particular car, no matter the price..."

Old 11-05-2015, 06:39 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post

Kasim gonna Kasim

Old 11-05-2015, 06:41 PM

219 posts, read 270,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post

I'm sure the Mayor of Atlanta, a partner at Holland & Knight, and someone who has brought Porsche, MB and NCR to the COA, probably knows what he is doing. What are your credentials? Oh you live in mayretta and post on a message board for most of your working hours.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:59 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
I'm sure the Mayor of Atlanta, a partner at Holland & Knight, and someone who has brought Porsche, MB and NCR to the COA, probably knows what he is doing. What are your credentials? Oh you live in mayretta and post on a message board for most of your working hours.
Not quite. Porsche was already here in Sandy Springs, and has been for years. Before Kasim ever ran for Mayor, actually. They moved across town to Hapeville and enhanced their North American HQ's with the new test track, but they are not in the CoA.

MB is moving from NJ to Sandy Springs, not the CoA.

NCR is moving to the City from Gwinnett with heavy subsidies, but it's still a fantastic deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mayor helped facilitate the Porsche & MB moves, but accuracy is important when you make snarky comments based on where someone lives. Especially when they're right.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:44 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
They moved across town to Hapeville and enhanced their North American HQ's with the new test track, but they are not in the CoA.
Actually they are in CoA, right on the border with Hapeville, but still officially in the CoA.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:47 AM

410 posts, read 432,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Not quite. Porsche was already here in Sandy Springs, and has been for years. Before Kasim ever ran for Mayor, actually. They moved across town to Hapeville and enhanced their North American HQ's with the new test track,
Actually Porsche is not in Hapeville its in the Atlanta city limits I don't think most people realize that

Old 11-06-2015, 06:31 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,346 times
I wonder how soon before GE replaces Philips as the arena name sponsor. Reportedly, Philips has been trying to get out of that deal for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta