U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 PM

2,973 posts, read 3,429,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm28 View Post
I have lived in NYC for 13 years there is no way Atlanta has more crime
Per-capita, it does sadly However, Vinings and Buckhead are nowhere near the worst areas and as mentioned are more like a wealthy NYC suburb. The worst crime is in South Dekalb County and South Atlanta and I would consider house break-ins, car thefts and robberies more of a problem than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 04:46 AM

3,518 posts, read 7,324,840 times
mmm28--

You need to start phoning schools now as many have mid February deadlines. No matter how terrific your daughter is, this may not be as easy as you think. Actually, being from NYC, I am certain you understand the competitive nature of some private schools. It may well be worth the fees to go ahead an apply. I know many highly qualified local kids who didn't get accepted in "odd" grades, so get the ball rolling today.

Girl school won't be an option next year.

I recommend you contact now the following schools:

Lovett
Pace
Westminster
Galloway
Woodward (actually Woodward might be your best shot, cause it is the largest private school in the Southeast)
Atlanta International School (depending on how you feel about IB)
Paideia

(many of these have different education philosophies, so study them on the web -- and go from there)

Sort of second tier schools that might work for you and might be easier to secure a spot

St. Martins
Mount Vernon Presbyterian

I am only listing schools that are convieninet to Buckhead...with the exception of Woodward, but they have busses and plenty of carpools.

If private school is paramount, I wouldn't buy a home until she has a spot somewhere you are happy... just my advice.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:37 AM

9 posts, read 75,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarnes11 View Post
SAVE YOURSELF STAY IN NYC... NO ATLANTA PLEASE... I am trying to get up there one day. I can't not stand Atlanta. it is a fake city. too many edge cities and sprawl. everything is outside of the city. buckhead is nice, but if you don't have money it is no use. sorry, you are better off in NYC (although living is cheaper here)
If they are going to buy a house worth $1 million they do have money. They will have it good in Atlanta or anywhere else!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 AM
kwr

67 posts, read 219,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Per-capita, it does sadly However, Vinings and Buckhead are nowhere near the worst areas and as mentioned are more like a wealthy NYC suburb. The worst crime is in South Dekalb County and South Atlanta and I would consider house break-ins, car thefts and robberies more of a problem than anything else.
Of course on a per-capita basis crime in ATL will be higher than NYC..duh there are millions less people in ATL. Overall (not per-capita) there is more crime in NYC.

Also as someone posted there is not much crime in areas where the home prices are a $1M or more. I live in such a neighborhood and there is low to no crime.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 PM

2,973 posts, read 3,429,154 times
I've attached a map of what I'd consider a good target area including unincorporated Vinings and Buckhead, Atlanta. I drew the borders pretty quickly, and I wouldn't be afraid of venturing out of the boundaries. For instance, Sandy Springs is also really nice. I'd demand to see comps in Sandy Springs and Vinings. The largest selection of comparable homes will be in Buckhead, but you'll also be paying the most taxes there...

Taxes:
Atlanta (including Buckhead): mill rate 43.86 ($1M house = $17K/yr)
Vinings: mill rate 29.75 ($1M house = $11.9K/yr)
Sandy Springs: mill rate 34.56 ($1M house = $13.8/yr)

Georgia Property Tax Rates & Homestead Exemption Guide
Attached Thumbnails
moving to atlanta from nyc-millionaire-map.jpg  

Last edited by netdragon; 02-04-2008 at 10:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta