Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 01:46 PM

3,695 posts, read 5,958,641 times

Advertisements

Atlanta gets colder than people seem to acknowledge. Likewise, the northeast gets hotter than people seem to acknowledge. The DC area is pretty darned miserable in the summer as well.

It's not a perfect climate. Nowhere on the east coast is. But Atlanta's balance of pretty bad summers and pretty bad winters, with decently long comfortable periods between seasons is comparatively nice. Our summers aren't so miserable you can't go outside; nor are our winters.

The biggest complaint for me actually is that the trees are barren and ugly 4-5 months out of the year (November-March).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 02:48 PM

4,488 posts, read 4,957,810 times
Brutal and atlanta summers ....no such thing.
Brutal Texas heat, go hand in hand.
Sorry op...my family thinks the weather here is perfect. But then again we've only been here a year
I suppose if we were from Atl our answer would be different.
I've done some googling lately about this city's weather....you've had some doozies to Contend with, the likes we hope to never experience.....but it's mother nature...whatdayagonnado?

Old 10-02-2015, 03:12 PM
bu2

23,928 posts, read 14,734,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Ah, the Sun Belt.

Part of the reason we draw so many people from up north is because they are sick of the cold.

But there's a flip side of that coin. I've known a lot of people that have come for conferences in the summer and complained non-stop about the heat and humidity. And in the winter, it does get cold. As we're seeing right now, rain can be a serious problem.

Atlanta weather is most certainly not all rainbows and unicorns.

But we seem to always hype up our city as having great weather. I don't think we really have very great weather, to be honest.

I know some people do. And every climate has its issues, unless you are southern California.

I'm going to argue that considering the very high amount of rainfall we experience each year, the brutal summers, and winters that can often experience several days of sub-freezing conditions, we just don't really have weather worth boasting about.

But I'm interested in hearing what others think...what do you think about our weather? Is it something that makes sense to promote?
I think we have great summers. Quite comfortable. Moderate humidity. (of course I lived in Houston before here).
Spring is nice too and early fall. I don't like the winters. We get too many days in the teens and low 20s.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:15 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Atlanta gets colder than people seem to acknowledge. Likewise, the northeast gets hotter than people seem to acknowledge. The DC area is pretty darned miserable in the summer as well.

It's not a perfect climate. Nowhere on the east coast is. But Atlanta's balance of pretty bad summers and pretty bad winters, with decently long comfortable periods between seasons is comparatively nice. Our summers aren't so miserable you can't go outside; nor are our winters.

The biggest complaint for me actually is that the trees are barren and ugly 4-5 months out of the year (November-March).
DC always seems to be hot and relatively humid when I am there in the summer.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:19 PM

8,474 posts, read 14,939,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
DC always seems to be hot and relatively humid when I am there in the summer.
The whole of the mid-Atlantic plus NYC are miserable in the late Summer months. Horrible heat and humidity, and it isn't out of the ordinary to NOT have A/C in your house or apartment. If you do, chances are it's some ancient window model from the 1950s that is most likely giving you cancer.

Let's not even start about how the subways smell in NYC during the summer...

Old 10-02-2015, 03:19 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,903,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Brutal and atlanta summers ....no such thing.
Brutal Texas heat, go hand in hand.
Sorry op...my family thinks the weather here is perfect. But then again we've only been here a year
I suppose if we were from Atl our answer would be different.
I've done some googling lately about this city's weather....you've had some doozies to Contend with, the likes we hope to never experience.....but it's mother nature...whatdayagonnado?
People don't realize just how hot Texas is. It's the perfect combo of heat and humidity. I remember telling people back home about the daily 100s and getting the "but it's a dry heat". HA. No such thing for much of eastern Texas. College Station is closer to the Gulf than Atlanta. It's often just as humid or more humid but with higher temperatures. Houston? Forget it. It's like being in Panama City.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:21 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
People don't realize just how hot Texas is. It's the perfect combo of heat and humidity. I remember telling people back home about the daily 100s and getting the "but it's a dry heat". HA. No such thing for much of eastern Texas. College Station is closer to the Gulf than Atlanta. It's often just as humid or more humid but with higher temperatures. Houston? Forget it. It's like being in Panama City.
Dallas, Austin and San Antonio have higher temperatures than Houston, but Houston has the humidity. Summer days with highs in the 80s are the exception, not common like here.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:23 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,903,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The whole of the mid-Atlantic plus NYC are miserable in the late Summer months. Horrible heat and humidity, and it isn't out of the ordinary to NOT have A/C in your house or apartment. If you do, chances are it's some ancient window model from the 1950s that is most likely giving you cancer.

Let's not even start about how the subways smell in NYC during the summer...
I don't have AC in my apartment. It was terrible. Even if it didn't get that hot, trying to sleep with it only cooling off to 70 at night was rough. Sure I had the windows open, but with sunrise at 615 I had to close the blinds and curtains at some point and I needed a little bit of privacy. Then there's the humidity that just sticks around for awhile.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:19 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,897,517 times
When on some January days I see people on boats on Lake Lanier, I think we're ok to promote weather.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:30 AM

6,709 posts, read 6,426,429 times
I don't have much good to say about Atlanta, but when it comes to weather, I have to wave the Atlanta flag a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta