U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 PM

8,317 posts, read 10,265,111 times

Advertisements

You also have to consider that Washington is the US capital, LA is the entertainment capital, San Francisco is the tech capital, New York is the financial capital, Houston is the energy capital, etc.

So for all intents and purposes, a lot of people are more or less stuck there, pretty much no matter what.

But Atlanta has grown because of its quality of life. Therefore, we have much more to lose than other cities when it comes to things like traffic eroding our quality of life. There aren't many barriers to exit. When people and companies decide this place is no longer worth the hassle, they'll just leave.

So we need to understand that we have a much stronger vested interest in keeping Atlanta as hassle free and high quality as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 02:22 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,709,759 times
And the cities with the best transit has the worst traffic

Old 10-07-2015, 02:33 PM

10,540 posts, read 7,513,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
And the cities with the best transit has the worst traffic
I think there comes a point where cities realize that the only way to solve traffic is to give to give alternatives to driving. Then the city will really start to get denser. Driving really is a competitor with transit (and walking and biking). As much as people may wish it, it is not possible to have great driving and great walkability & transit at the same location.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:56 PM

29,363 posts, read 26,317,093 times
So in Atlanta, a trip that would take 30 minutes in free flowing traffic takes 37 minutes at peak traffic times.

Is that so terrible? Doesn't sound like a "nightmare" to me.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:05 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,207,780 times
If it was 2015 numbers I wouldn't believe it either but the economy was much stronger in 2005 than in 2010 which equates to less cars going to work in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This chart says delays actually went down between 2005 and 2010.

I don't know how they measured it, but sorry....simply don't believe it.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:54 PM

4,395 posts, read 3,559,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So in Atlanta, a trip that would take 30 minutes in free flowing traffic takes 37 minutes at peak traffic times.

Depends. I've had times where early in the morning I hit a rough patch of a lot of traffic. Rest of my drive was fine but just that little bit seemed so bad. Then I arrive and realize all that traffic only delayed me 5 minutes off a 40 minute drive. Then there are other times where it really is a lot worse and 30 minutes is added to that 40 minute drive. Also the thing about the measurement, is it's all an average. Ask people commuting from PC to Gwinnett or Cumberland to Woodstock if they only got delayed by 7 minutes. But then you have people commuting Airport to PTC with no delays. It can really differ across the area and I think corridors would be better as a unit. I know some studies have it done by that.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:45 PM

4,365 posts, read 6,035,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This chart says delays actually went down between 2005 and 2010.

I don't know how they measured it, but sorry....simply don't believe it.
It includes the recession so it makes sense.

I know, my commute on I-20 from the East side became better during the recession.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 PM

5,288 posts, read 4,030,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
LOL. That made me laugh so hard. Dallas? Dallas is all light rail. Took me an hour to get from the airport to Mockingbird station. A similar ride on MARTA is half the time.
What's a similar ride? MARTA doesn't have any lines that reach 20.62 miles out from Downtown. That's the one-way distance from DFW to the first downtown Dallas station (West End). If you just mean to the airport, THEN OF COURSE IT IS FASTER SINCE OUR AIRPORT IS CLOSER!
Quote:
Downtown the train even turned into a streetcar. No more RR crossings, we sat at lights just any other car.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It probably takes the average person 3+ minutes to go from street to platform at one of MARTA's stations, more on the deep ones like Peachtree Center, less on the closer ones like Civic Center. I walk far faster than the average human and it's 2 minutes from the closest parking space to the platform at Avondale.
Quote:
It's no more expansive and certainly isn't as efficient.
It's far more expansive and just as efficient: http://www.city-data.com/forum/40478417-post12.html
Quote:
And you gave a link to DC, not Houston. Houston rail isn't expansive either and is also light rail. As for walkable downtowns, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are all remarkably similar sun belt cities. Nothing that different between the 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
DC? Yes it does kick MARTA's ass, but DART is a joke. LRT can never compare to the speed and capacity of HRT.
Of course it can. DART matches the speed, and capacity is just a matter of how many cars in a train.
Quote:
MARTA was ahead of it's time when a sunbelt city built a subway network. Dallas, Houston, Denver, Portland, etc. are all using LRT because it's cheaper.
I won't deny it's cheaper, but why is that a bad thing?
Quote:

Try a free-flowing trip taking 15 minutes going to an hour or more at rush hour. That's the reality.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:32 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,815,621 times
Quote:

First of all, I don't think the traffic in the actual city of Atlanta has been that bad at any time of morning, afternoon, evening, or night that I have driven. I think the traffic in Atlanta proper could only be what you are considering when adding only a seven minute difference in congestion versus free flowing.

Now, when you consider some of the suburbs which is where my major complaint came from and forced me to bail out, its a different story. A 28 minute free flowing ride per Google maps that takes two hours each way when its not free flowing will grate your nerves. It was not free flowing at almost anytime except a Sunday morning.

The little traffic in Atlanta is pretty much nothing to speak of as compared to what goes on in the "burbs". Admittedly some of the design could be better and help alleviate things like not making a left lane unexpectedly sub as a turn lane or a right lane unexpectedly be a right turn only lane which basically means now I have to make a right turn and drive into something to u-turn when clearly I could have just driven streaight and stayed in my lane.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,815,621 times
Also, another thing that would cut down on confusion is working on these street names.

Also, if you have street, it should be named the same thing from tip to stern. We know whole heap of people use GPS to get where they are going. Not a single service of any type seems to be able to keep up with the different street names here enough to give an efficient set of directions, I read some thread the other day about changing the name of a portion of some street to something else. Give it a rest already - commemorate a person in some other way than changing a street name every 10 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta