U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 PM

29,352 posts, read 26,306,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Try a free-flowing trip taking 15 minutes going to an hour or more at rush hour. That's the reality.
I haven't personally run into that very often although others may have. I tend to stay off the roads at peak traffic times and avoid the interstates and crowded intersections.

There are some roads that really creep at rush hour, such as North Druid hills. They've got a problem with too many curb cuts and not enough left turn lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:58 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,557,224 times
Quote:
What's a similar ride? MARTA doesn't have any lines that reach 20.62 miles out from Downtown. That's the one-way distance from DFW to the first downtown Dallas station (West End). If you just mean to the airport, THEN OF COURSE IT IS FASTER SINCE OUR AIRPORT IS CLOSER!

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It probably takes the average person 3+ minutes to go from street to platform at one of MARTA's stations, more on the deep ones like Peachtree Center, less on the closer ones like Civic Center. I walk far faster than the average human and it's 2 minutes from the closest parking space to the platform at Avondale.
Airport to Mockinbird Station. North of downtown past uptown. I'm not sure where to get actual rail mileage so I used google maps driving distances that fortunately are very similar to the rail paths. DFW to Mockingbird by way of 114 to 35E to 366 to 75: 23 miles, 27 minutes by car. ATL to Perimeter Mall via (well, you should know the way): 24 miles, 29 minutes by car. According to Google transit, DFW to Mockingbird is an hour and 9 minutes. ATL to Perimeter mall: 42 minutes. And I made sure to choose similar times so there's no service interruption or transfers or anything like that.Also I went station to station so there was no added time for walking. Half an hour difference is pretty substantial.

The downtown stops slow the train way down and makes any sort of cross regional travel more difficult than it needs to be. While trains are whizzing underneath downtown Atlanta stopping only for the stations, the trains in Dallas are dodging pedestrians not using crosswalks, stopping at lights with no priority (or it gets screwed up because someone is late getting on), speeds max out at maybe 25, etc. It might not be inefficient getting to downtown, but any sort of regional connectivity is toast. At least MARTA offers quick times for commuters not headed downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
First of all, I don't think the traffic in the actual city of Atlanta has been that bad at any time of morning, afternoon, evening, or night that I have driven. I think the traffic in Atlanta proper could only be what you are considering when adding only a seven minute difference in congestion versus free flowing.

Now, when you consider some of the suburbs which is where my major complaint came from and forced me to bail out, its a different story. A 28 minute free flowing ride per Google maps that takes two hours each way when its not free flowing will grate your nerves. It was not free flowing at almost anytime except a Sunday morning.

The little traffic in Atlanta is pretty much nothing to speak of as compared to what goes on in the "burbs". Admittedly some of the design could be better and help alleviate things like not making a left lane unexpectedly sub as a turn lane or a right lane unexpectedly be a right turn only lane which basically means now I have to make a right turn and drive into something to u-turn when clearly I could have just driven streaight and stayed in my lane.
City of Atlanta streets or highways? Cause I dare you to drive from Buckhead to I 20 on the freeway at 530 pm and say that CoA doesn't have bad traffic. 75 SB also backs up in the afternoon a lot headed towards the connector. I was actually commuting in worse traffic headed towards midtown in the afternoon SB on 75 than NB on 85 headed away. Same in the morning. Traffic is worse 85N from midtown to Buckhead than on 85S. Working in Buckhead and living anywhere south of downtown ranks just as terrible as anywhere else. The downtown connector is also one of the last stretches to clear up at night. Right there with 285E at 85.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,813,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Airport to Mockinbird Station. North of downtown past uptown. I'm not sure where to get actual rail mileage so I used google maps driving distances that fortunately are very similar to the rail paths. DFW to Mockingbird by way of 114 to 35E to 366 to 75: 23 miles, 27 minutes by car. ATL to Perimeter Mall via (well, you should know the way): 24 miles, 29 minutes by car. According to Google transit, DFW to Mockingbird is an hour and 9 minutes. ATL to Perimeter mall: 42 minutes. And I made sure to choose similar times so there's no service interruption or transfers or anything like that.Also I went station to station so there was no added time for walking. Half an hour difference is pretty substantial.

The downtown stops slow the train way down and makes any sort of cross regional travel more difficult than it needs to be. While trains are whizzing underneath downtown Atlanta stopping only for the stations, the trains in Dallas are dodging pedestrians not using crosswalks, stopping at lights with no priority (or it gets screwed up because someone is late getting on), speeds max out at maybe 25, etc. It might not be inefficient getting to downtown, but any sort of regional connectivity is toast. At least MARTA offers quick times for commuters not headed downtown.

City of Atlanta streets or highways? Cause I dare you to drive from Buckhead to I 20 on the freeway at 530 pm and say that CoA doesn't have bad traffic. 75 SB also backs up in the afternoon a lot headed towards the connector. I was actually commuting in worse traffic headed towards midtown in the afternoon SB on 75 than NB on 85 headed away. Same in the morning. Traffic is worse 85N from midtown to Buckhead than on 85S. Working in Buckhead and living anywhere south of downtown ranks just as terrible as anywhere else. The downtown connector is also one of the last stretches to clear up at night. Right there with 285E at 85.
I was actually talking about the street traffic, but even the freeway is better in CoA than Cobb or Gwinnett. I thought the traffic in CoA was bad when I moved here, but the traffic is so much worse in the other counties I mentioned that I almost conder CoA as breeze. Its like oh great, I might be a little stacked up, but at least it's fewer lanes of stack that miraculously are moving at a faster rate than more lanes of stack are moving in the suburbs I mentioned.

I had a commute from Kennesaw to Marietta intially that later included me going to Sandy Springs and Norcross. It took so long to even get out of the subdivision to even reach 41 to sit in some more traffic to get on Barrett (which moves pretty well) to then get stuck on 75 that I realized I made a horrible decision of where to buy a house. Anytime I was willing to go north on 575 to turn around and take my chances on Alpharetta Hwy/Roswell Rd, then you know the traffic was out of hand. I won't even get into what and all goes on in Gwinnett; it feels like 20 lanes of I'm not sure why this is not moving and I can't see because I'm surrounded by trucks.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:48 AM

23,381 posts, read 17,551,588 times
Quote:
What's a similar ride? MARTA doesn't have any lines that reach 20.62 miles out from Downtown. That's the one-way distance from DFW to the first downtown Dallas station (West End). If you just mean to the airport, THEN OF COURSE IT IS FASTER SINCE OUR AIRPORT IS CLOSER!

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It probably takes the average person 3+ minutes to go from street to platform at one of MARTA's stations, more on the deep ones like Peachtree Center, less on the closer ones like Civic Center. I walk far faster than the average human and it's 2 minutes from the closest parking space to the platform at Avondale.

It's far more expansive and just as efficient: http://www.city-data.com/forum/40478417-post12.html

Of course it can. DART matches the speed, and capacity is just a matter of how many cars in a train.

I won't deny it's cheaper, but why is that a bad thing?

Try a free-flowing trip taking 15 minutes going to an hour or more at rush hour. That's the reality.
DART trains do not operate at 70 mph, which MARTA does on long stretches; between Lindbergh Center and Arts Center, Buckhead and Medical Center. For DART to match the capacity, they would need to exceed the length of the platforms.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:17 AM

994 posts, read 1,174,514 times
Expanded transit to the surrounding Metro Atlanta counties and suburbs would certainly help to improve traffic and convenience for many, and the metro is underserved and under-resourced in this manner, given its population. But the reality is that, yes, traffic is a way of life when you live in a major metropolitan area. Even cities with robust transit options, like Chicago, have Herculean traffic. That's what happens in a major metro - many residents do not live in the city proper, and actually surround the city in neighboring towns, counties and suburbs. Chicago has major transit that supports these areas, yet traffic still abounds.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:

I had a commute from Kennesaw to Marietta intially that later included me going to Sandy Springs and Norcross. It took so long to even get out of the subdivision to even reach 41 to sit in some more traffic to get on Barrett (which moves pretty well) to then get stuck on 75 that I realized I made a horrible decision of where to buy a house. Anytime I was willing to go north on 575 to turn around and take my chances on Alpharetta Hwy/Roswell Rd, then you know the traffic was out of hand. I won't even get into what and all goes on in Gwinnett; it feels like 20 lanes of I'm not sure why this is not moving and I can't see because I'm surrounded by trucks.
I actually believe the big-rig trucks contribute to the traffic woes substantially. If there were a way to re-route them away from Metro Atlanta, assuming their stops are not in the area, it would help tremendously.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 AM

4,392 posts, read 3,557,224 times
Quote:
I was actually talking about the street traffic, but even the freeway is better in CoA than Cobb or Gwinnett. I thought the traffic in CoA was bad when I moved here, but the traffic is so much worse in the other counties I mentioned that I almost conder CoA as breeze. Its like oh great, I might be a little stacked up, but at least it's fewer lanes of stack that miraculously are moving at a faster rate than more lanes of stack are moving in the suburbs I mentioned.

I think the downtown connector and the 85/400 corridor have traffic just as bad as in the burbs (I mean stop and go is stop and go), just maybe not for the same distances. But throw in all lanes blocked on 285 and ITP 75 and 85 implode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I actually believe the big-rig trucks contribute to the traffic woes substantially. If there were a way to re-route them away from Metro Atlanta, assuming their stops are not in the area, it would help tremendously.
They absolutely do. Best part about driving ITP was saying goodbye to the trucks. With all the hills here little jams would start just from a truck. When I truck has to accelerate from a stop it's bad enough, when it's up a hill or on a ramp to 85? Have fun. And they all have to take 285 which just adds to that traffic.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Atlanta is a huge hub and I think many of those you see during the day are doing business in the metro. Why would a long hauler pass thru during the day, when they can wait until night and have free range? Go look at all the freight traffic around FIB or the rail yards.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I think the downtown connector and the 85/400 corridor have traffic just as bad as in the burbs (I mean stop and go is stop and go), just maybe not for the same distances. But throw in all lanes blocked on 285 and ITP 75 and 85 implode.

They absolutely do. Best part about driving ITP was saying goodbye to the trucks. With all the hills here little jams would start just from a truck. When I truck has to accelerate from a stop it's bad enough, when it's up a hill or on a ramp to 85? Have fun. And they all have to take 285 which just adds to that traffic.
285 was built as a bypass and still is the bypass, but the edge cities built along it and suburb to suburb commuters have made it congested.
Atlanta will never see another bypass built. Too expensive and the legislature will not risk it.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Atlanta is a huge hub and I think many of those you see during the day are doing business in the metro. Why would a long hauler pass thru during the day, when they can wait until night and have free range? Go look at all the freight traffic around FIB or the rail yards.
Oh, I don't doubt that we're a major hub. I just think these big trucks cause further congestion on account of their sometimes aggressive or slower driving. I have no idea what percentage pass through vs. drop off here. That would be an interesting figure to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta