Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,983 times

Advertisements

I would just like to know what areas of Decatur are deemed rough? Specific street names would help. I’m working on a writing project and before I get started I would like to visit some of these places or at least use googlemaps for pics.

My second question would be, what areas of Decatur would have been rough in the 1970’s? Other places in East Atlanta/Zone 6 would work too. Just a little background about myself, I lived in Glenwood up until I was about 10 or 11 but I don't remember it (or Decatur) being rough when I was living there in the 90's/early 2000's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,079,775 times
Just go to crime mapping and look at all the different types of crime

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,260,900 times
Just for clarification, do you mean only within the Decatur City limits, or the Decatur area?

Old 10-06-2015, 03:34 AM

@SAAN

I'll check that out but I'd really prefer to hear from people that are familiar with the area.

@Thulsa

Either is fine.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,691,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin444 View Post
@SAAN

I'll check that out but I'd really prefer to hear from people that are familiar with the area.

@Thulsa

Either is fine.
SAAN's linked DeKalb PD's crime map, look at it and make your own judgement. Decatur City limits is very different than Decatur Zip Code area. Decatur City Limits is very exclusive now, with the avg home selling for over $500K, while areas south of the city limits are less desirable.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,079,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin444 View Post
@SAAN

@Thulsa

Either is fine.

I lived in Stn Mtn for 22 yrs and live in Decatur now, what specifically are you looking for.

By looking at the map at certain crimes, it is ridiculous the amount of armed robberies, car break-ins, thefts and burglaries in the unincorporated Decatur area & parts of Lithonia & Stn Mtn too. I would say Candler Rd, Glenwood Rd, Flat shoals/Gresham Areas, and at times, parts Memorial Dr, Wesley Chapel, & Covington Hwy, would be areas you dont want to live.

While not housing projects dangerous, you still need to be aware of your surroundings. Get a gun, alarm system, use common sense (dont leave valuable out in the open) and pray and you will have a regular life for 1/2 the price of the northern suburbs in most parts of Decatur.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:24 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,210,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
use common sense
Good advice.

Good advice anywhere on Earth, actually.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:56 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,260,900 times
To me the phrase "rough area" means someplace that feels not safe to walk through by yourself during the day, or has many burglaries. To my view, there are no rough areas inside the Decatur City limits.

Outside of the city limits (unincorporated Dekalb county), you don't have to go far south or south-west of City of Decatur to get into areas that have many assaults and armed robberies. Look at the area south/southwest between Memorial Drive and I-285.

I wasn't around Decatur in the 1970's except to ride through on my bicycle on the way to Stone Mountain.

That being said, there are some major thoroughfares going through City of Decatur and wandering around by yourself at 2:00 AM on those streets is not safe due to the people not-from-there passing through. However, that's true of almost any place that has a major road passing through.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 PM

14 posts, read 18,778 times
I don't think there are rough areas in terms of poor, no service having, crime infested areas in Decatur.

What I do think is certain areas could use more security and policing and better leadership with sound community development principles.

Even in the area that the above poster listed as undesirable have some really nice homes and are occupied by college educated professionals.

I grew up in downtown Decatur and went to Wynona Park and Decatur Middle school until we moved to Stone Mountain so I'm very familiar with the area, my parents still live in Stone Mountain and I visit frequently though I'm a resident of Brookhaven, Decatur is not too far away.

I've never experienced nor known of anyone who has experienced crime in Decatur. The worse thing that has ever happened is our mail was taken out of our mailbox once.

It is my personal belief that crime in certain areas are pointed out because a certain demographic resides there that certain people don't want to live around regardless of income or education level.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:00 PM

Thank you all for the responses, you've helped with my researched immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightofurlife View Post

It is my personal belief that crime in certain areas are pointed out because a certain demographic resides there that certain people don't want to live around regardless of income or education level.
Well said, I couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta