Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:48 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What is the fence you envision and what are its two sides?
You are always giving credence to foolishness...there is no room for credence to foolishness at all when you know how obtuse many choose to be about the history and contemporary habits of certain leaders and organizations in this region...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:31 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
You are always giving credence to foolishness...there is no room for credence to foolishness at all when you know how obtuse many choose to be about the history and contemporary habits of certain leaders and organizations in this region...
Hm, what foolishness are you talking about?

Rep. Lindsey says he supports a King monument at the mountain and I've said several times that I do, too. How is that obtuse or foolish?

Old 10-27-2015, 11:26 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
KingWorld! Excitement! Family Fun! Water Park! Buy your summer pass now!
I really don't see how your proposal is oh-so-above the status quo.
The park will always be a park, that's true--and if you are only there for a nice jog, or camping--it won't change much, and there is nothing wrong with that. As it stands, the carving memorializes men who fought to divide the United States and keep a large portion of its populace enslaved--just as important, it was commissioned well after the Civil War partially in negative response to the idea that human beings should be treated equally. --and, there is no counterpoint, much less a refutation of that symbolism anywhere at the park--and there should be. You may be educated enough not to need context when looking at the carving, but many others do need that context.
As a child, we would visit the mountain in school, and there was always the assumption that the men represented in the carving were great men representing a great cause--and this probably fed into/justified other beliefs as well. A monument to King would be a reason to at least discuss what it was that these men were fighting for, and why they are even represented on the mountain.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Hm, what foolishness are you talking about?

Rep. Lindsey says he supports a King monument at the mountain and I've said several times that I do, too. How is that obtuse or foolish?

It's foolish because it is patronizing to black Americans and those whom fought hard in the American Civil Rights Movement...

Old 10-27-2015, 01:29 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
It's foolish because it is patronizing to black Americans and those whom fought hard in the American Civil Rights Movement...
Honestly, I don't think most people would be satisfied until the state decides to dynamite the carving.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I don't believe honoring MLK is patronizing, foolish or obtuse.

History is what it is, warts and all. To try to pretend that events didn't happen discounts not only those who supported them but those who fought against them.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I don't believe honoring MLK is patronizing, foolish or obtuse.

History is what it is, warts and all. To try to pretend that events didn't happen discounts not only those who supported them but those who fought against them.
That is not honoring MLK Jr. That is patronizing to them and civil right activists by saying "look at what we carvered here" next to some foolishness. Nobody is trying to pretend like it didn't occur, but there are very few black Americans that find this foolishness honoring MLK Jr. and other civil rights activists' legacy. This is why you have groups like NAACP Metro Atlanta chapter and the SCLC against this because they even see this as patronizing...

Old 10-27-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
That is not honoring MLK Jr. that is patronizing them and civil right activists by saying "look at what we carvered here" next to some foolishness. Nobody is trying to pretend like it didn't occur, but there are very few black Americans that find this foolishness honoring MLK Jr. and other civil rights activists' legacy. This is why you have groups like NAACP Metro Atlanta chapter and the SCLC against this...
Well, the memorial seemed like a reasonable way to add some historical balance to the park. But if most people find it insulting then I'd say forget it.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:57 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
I'd be more in favor of a museum of postwar Southern history. Having another MLK memorial would just bypass a lot of history for a more comfortable narrative. It's symbolic tokenism, in my opinion ("Everyone likes MLK--let's just slap up a tribute to him and all will be well"). Plus MLK already has a classy memorial in Atlanta.
I kind of thought the same thing as the bold when I read this.

It seems every time there is some racial issue, people want to honor MLK.

I personally think the lynching memorial would be better. MLK already has a national park. I don't see anything wrong with this proposal to include the bell and his speech but IMO it is just very...I can only say white washed in regards to the history of the movement behind creating Stone Mountain.

Lynching was a direct response to the Civil War, supporters of the Confederacy, and the KKK. I think it fitting to highlight the original Civil Rights Movement in regards to Anti-Lynching activist and lynching's historical connection to the Confederacy and the KKK.

A King tribute IMO is really just a token to try to get people to stop talking about the carvings. And FWIW, I don't think they should blast the carvings at all. Just put them in a more historical context. It would be great to have some sort of space in the park that provided a tribute to Georgia's lynching victims and nothing grotesque IMO either, just maybe pictures of the people who were killed, or carvings of their names and where they died and how Anti-Lynching campaigns were the pre-cursor to the 20th century Civil Rights Movement.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:18 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I kind of thought the same thing as the bold when I read this.

It seems every time there is some racial issue, people want to honor MLK.

I personally think the lynching memorial would be better. MLK already has a national park. I don't see anything wrong with this proposal to include the bell and his speech but IMO it is just very...I can only say white washed in regards to the history of the movement behind creating Stone Mountain.

Lynching was a direct response to the Civil War, supporters of the Confederacy, and the KKK. I think it fitting to highlight the original Civil Rights Movement in regards to Anti-Lynching activist and lynching's historical connection to the Confederacy and the KKK.

A King tribute IMO is really just a token to try to get people to stop talking about the carvings. And FWIW, I don't think they should blast the carvings at all. Just put them in a more historical context. It would be great to have some sort of space in the park that provided a tribute to Georgia's lynching victims and nothing grotesque IMO either, just maybe pictures of the people who were killed, or carvings of their names and where they died and how Anti-Lynching campaigns were the pre-cursor to the 20th century Civil Rights Movement.
Either would be an improvement, and both would be better. I don't doubt that a King memorial was intended by some as a token action to curb debate on carving/flag. A lynching memorial would be less subtle, and I guess when you trying to put 150+ft carving in some sort of perspective, subtle is probably not the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta