Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:18 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I wish there were a maglev train connecting FL all the way to Maine....
So do I, but the truth is, few would use it. It wouldn't go EXACTLY when and exactly where they wanted to go, it would mean they might have to (gasp!) associate with STRANGERS for a few hours, and they wouldn't have their own SUV when they got to their destination. People have become far too selfish and self-centered to tolerate any kind of 'mass transit'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
the Atlanta Airport Authority has ~10,000 acres it has owned for years in Dawson County in anticipation of the need for a 2nd airport.
Oooh, if you ever hear anything about that, please let us know. I might just do a little land speculation someday...

Last I heard was that GA has decided not to go forward with the maglev and will put it towards other projects in the metro. Tennessee may still go forward with the Chattanooga/Knoxville line.

I think maglev makes a lot of sense in the South, because everything is so spread out. I'd love to see a maglev over to Savannah as well, along with Charlotte. Now, here's a question: After initial building costs, will maglev be more energy efficient than planes for travelling between cities?

Edit:

Woah, now that's a lot of pages : Final Report on the National Maglev Initiative (1993)

From Maglev train: - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
"One advantage of maglev's higher speed would be extension of the serviceable area (3 hours radius) that can outcompete subsonic commercial aircraft."
"While high-speed maglevs are expensive to build, they are less expensive to operate and maintain than traditional high-speed trains, planes or intercity buses."
"China aims to limit the cost of future construction extending the maglev line to approximately 200 million yuan (US$24.6 million) per kilometer. These costs compare competitively with airport construction (e.g., Hong Kong Airport cost US$20 billion to build in 1998) and eight-lane Interstate highway systems that cost around US$50 million per mile (US$31 million per kilometer) in the US."

This one in Japan can go 581 km/h (top speed)! That'd take 37 minutes to go to Charlotte (minus slow down time)!

Last edited by netdragon; 02-05-2008 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
American maglev has a test facility here in Powder Springs off of hwy 278 (Thornton Road). It's not however, open to the public.

Main site:AMT - Mass Transit For The Future - Home

Some pics of their test track in Powder Springs: AMT - Mass Transit For The Future - Test Track - Powder Springs, Ga

Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
I like the idea of a 6th runway and destroy the useless bussiness park and north Clayton county and let that be where the international terminal is located. there are a lot of empty building in N clayton county that can be destroyed and be used for more addons to the airport

Maybe it could be two seperate airport connected togehter with a undeground people mover connecting the two airports HJAIA could be for international destinations while the King-Coke Airport be for regional and flights to Mexico Carribean Canada and Central America. it was just a idea I though of off the top of my head

Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 PM

625 posts, read 1,148,713 times
I find this whole thread to be asinine. The airport in Atlanta does not mainly serve the residents of the metro area, it's mainly just a hub. 95% of the people you will see at the airport don't live in Atlanta, and a large percentage of that 95% is just through traffic.

This thread needs to be closed.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:06 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,160 times
I think Atlanta needs to take some cues from DIA (Denver), which was modeled after H-J. Atlanta isn't terrible and I have noticed an definite improvement in security over the past couple years. Flew out a few days before xmas last year, it was packed but it moved. Hadn't experienced that one before. But yes, moving sidewalks on the concourses are a must. I would also improved seating on all concourses but I don't know where they'd put it honestly.
And people, of course it's busy, Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta