Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else tired of dealing with that insane airport down there?

I am freaked out by the size and volume of that place. It's scary taking off and landing there with all those other planes around you doing the same thing. Someone told me those air traffic controllers are way overworked. Hope that isn't true. Trying to park in those massive lots is a challenge in itself. Good luck getting your luggage (I ALWAYS carry on to avoid that nightmare) and finding your car afterward.

Atlanta has to step up and realize that it is now one of the largest metro areas in the U.S., and that this staus calls for a 2nd large airport on the north side. Most of the other big population centers in America have at least 2 airports that serve major carriers, why does Atlanta always resist this when it's ever increasing population and traffic problems continue to cry for it? I know many who would jump on an alternative to H-J if they had one.

I know this is always a hot button topic down there because of land issues and many on the north side that oppose an airport for a variety of reasons, but I have a hard time finding negatives about a 2nd airport for Atlanta. H-J needs some heat taken off of it, for safety's sake if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Is anyone else tired of dealing with that insane airport down there?
We flew ATL-MSP-ATL for Christmas, and it wasn't so bad. The Park-n-fly lots filled up faster than we anticipated, though. Didn't know about needing reservations for those! But even with one cancelled flight and one subsequent equipment failure later on, our trip end up being a success.

(I used to fly nonrev as an airline employee -- revenue passengers don't know what stress is.)

That said, I wouldn't mind an airport somewhere to the north. Not sure if it would be more convenient than the existing one, however, at least from my location. Both are likely to be equidistant from me.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Atlanta is one of the best airport layouts that I've been to. I don't see what the problem is. And my luggage is ALWAYS there by the time I get to the baggage claim.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
I agree that a second airport for Atlanta would probably be a good idea as the city continues to grow. Hartsfield-Jackson does a pretty good job of handling the highest volume of air passengers in the entire country, but those numbers are only going to continue to rise as the population of Atlanta and the rest of the nation grows. Far smaller metro-area cities, such as San Diego, are actively exploring building a second major airport, while other cities of comparable size to Atlanta have more than one major airport already (For instance, DC has three that service it -- Reagan National, Dulles, and Baltimore-Washington International).

Atlanta may not need the second airport this year or the next, but it has to get the ball rolling so it doesn't get caught with its pants down 20 years from now, just like it did on many other transportation projects that it failed to plan for.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:28 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Don't you worry and don't you fear, the 2nd Airport will soon be here!

They have actually broken ground in NE Barrow county and working on it as I type

Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times
Don't even get me started about the airports (lack thereof) in and around Atlanta. Not only does it make travel hectic and stressful, it makes it damn expensive.

Though, coming from Florida, I was spoiled with the choices of four international airports within 2 driving hours.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
This will probably never come to be, but some time ago they had talks of building a high speed "maglev" train that would connect the Atlanta and Chattanooga airports. People could get/take certain cheaper flights into Chattanooga, and be in Atlanta within 45 minutes on this train, which would also connect to a multi-use transportation center downtown near Centennial Park.

They bring it up every now and again, but we've never had leaders that were bright enough or motivated enough to get the ball rolling.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
This will probably never come to be, but some time ago they had talks of building a high speed "maglev" train that would connect the Atlanta and Chattanooga airports. People could get/take certain cheaper flights into Chattanooga, and be in Atlanta within 45 minutes on this train, which would also connect to a multi-use transportation center downtown near Centennial Park.

They bring it up every now and again, but we've never had leaders that were bright enough or motivated enough to get the ball rolling.

I've heard about the proposed Maglev High Speed Train and that's definately the better option than building another airport. Why build another airport when it woul dbe much cheaper and a easier transition (For the Airlines) if a train was built.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 01-31-2008 at 01:32 PM..

Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Atlanta is one of the best airport layouts that I've been to. I don't see what the problem is. And my luggage is ALWAYS there by the time I get to the baggage claim.
I agree- I've flown in and out of practically every large airport in the country, and I've never found one that's any easier than ATL- especially with the luggage, which always beats me to the carousel. I've waited close to an hour for my luggage to make it to the carousel at Newark.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
The train idea has been kicked about in the region for years. So has the possibility of another airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta