U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 04:41 PM

4,132 posts, read 3,246,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Yes! Geography of Nowhere is essential reading. I don't think Kunstler is overly harsh. He visited Atlanta in 2010, I believe. He was particularly scathing about the Portman zone downtown, but on point. That's really the worst part of downtown from an urbanism standpoint. He was kinder to Midtown and had nice words about Glenwood Park. But he seems to believe Atlanta is going to cease being a major city when air conditioning is no longer viable. And he does double-down on the belief we're heading toward a Mad Max style future (technologically, at least).
When is AC supposed to no longer be viable?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 04:44 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,375,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
When is AC supposed to no longer be viable?
If you've ever followed Kunstler, he thinks that we're running up against Peak Oil and we won't have enough energy for "wasteful" things like automobiles and air conditioning. He's not a big believer in solar, or wind, or nuclear (which we'll have a lot more of here in GA after 2019.) In less than 5 years, solar energy will be the cheapest form of energy available.

In short, he's wrong about a lot of things...lol.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:52 PM

4,663 posts, read 3,040,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
And y'all don't hate on Kunstler - Geography of Nowhere made urbanism incredibly relatable to me. It was the first book I read on the concept...and I was hooked (as a layperson).

Actually it might have been The Long Emergency...I think I was researching Peak Oil and it led me there..
Sorry, Tryska - too late for me. I loathe him, despite several good books. He is a true Atlanta hater, in every possible way. I have read too much of his snarky crap over the years...

Nothing would make him happier than our decline into oblivion, and that goes for the rest of the South too.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:58 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,707,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Yes! Geography of Nowhere is essential reading. I don't think Kunstler is overly harsh. He visited Atlanta in 2010, I believe. He was particularly scathing about the Portman zone downtown, but on point. That's really the worst part of downtown from an urbanism standpoint. He was kinder to Midtown and had nice words about Glenwood Park. But he seems to believe Atlanta is going to cease being a major city when air conditioning is no longer viable. And he does double-down on the belief we're heading toward a Mad Max style future (technologically, at least).

So he's a little loony. But...you know that's why I picked East Point. It could be doable here. But I do see his point. Our Downtown is not built to cope without air conditioning. Like older cities. We knocked those buildings down.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:03 PM

7,803 posts, read 11,768,611 times
This possibly the most elitist sentence I have ever read:

Quote:
Why someone would shop for an exquisitely detailed dress in a building where the fake-stone panels donít even align is beyond me.
Srsly?

I'm not mad he doesn't like Atlanta though. The fewer people like this in this town, the better. Our city might be a hot mess, but it is our hot mess and we like it very much.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
If you've ever followed Kunstler, he thinks that we're running up against Peak Oil and we won't have enough energy for "wasteful" things like automobiles and air conditioning. He's not a big believer in solar, or wind, or nuclear (which we'll have a lot more of here in GA after 2019.) In less than 5 years, solar energy will be the cheapest form of energy available.

Well then, yea. I'm not gonna hold my breath. I think the oil situation is more dire than people think, but saying we're going to have massive electricity dropoffs? Please.

Quote:
So he's a little loony. But...you know that's why I picked East Point. It could be doable here. But I do see his point. Our Downtown is not built to cope without air conditioning. Like older cities. We knocked those buildings down.
I think AC spoils a lot of people. My apartment here in PA doesn't have AC and just one month of summer here got me thinking about a new place to live next year. If I was told I could live anywhere but I'd have to go without AC, I'd be picking Alaska or parts of northern Europe.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:10 PM

7,803 posts, read 11,768,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

That's my second biggest gripe with him, other than the Atlanta hate itself. He goes around talking about how urban cities are superior, and every city that isn't should be ashamed of themselves and bulldoze their way to being urban cities. At the same time he believes we're headed for the dark ages again. What exactly does he think will happen in a city like NYC without gasoline, electricity, or all the modern comforts. It would be an absolute hellhole...just like it was before all that stuff came along.

My biggest problem with him is that while he's throwing shade at Atlanta, he lives in some small podunk town in Upstate New York. SMH

Old 10-23-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Well then, yea. I'm not gonna hold my breath. I think the oil situation is more dire than people think, but saying we're going to have massive electricity dropoffs? Please.

I think AC spoils a lot of people. My apartment here in PA doesn't have AC and just one month of summer here got me thinking about a new place to live next year. If I was told I could live anywhere but I'd have to go without AC, I'd be picking Alaska or parts of northern Europe.
haha. Short growing Season though. Make it Alaska and by the Water!

Old 10-23-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's my second biggest gripe with him, other than the Atlanta hate itself. He goes around talking about how urban cities are superior, and every city that isn't should be ashamed of themselves and bulldoze their way to being urban cities. At the same time he believes we're headed for the dark ages again. What exactly does he think will happen in a city like NYC without gasoline, electricity, or all the modern comforts. It would be an absolute hellhole...just like it was before all that stuff came along.

My biggest problem with him is that while he's throwing shade at Atlanta, he lives in some small podunk town in Upstate New York. SMH

Oh...I guess I didn't get into him enough to have him become annoying. I hate that.

The impression I had of him was more about making towns, or even Villages, even in the urban areas and not looking at things in a monolithic way. Like the bear bones are there. Now make it work on a human scale. near transit.

I pretty much stopped there and went with it.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
haha. Short growing Season though. Make it Alaska and by the Water!
SE Alaska for sure. Lots of rain but I can handle it. Juneau here I come...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or