Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 12:54 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

I realize our town has its shortcomings but this critique seems a little harsh to me.

Quote:
In May, the city hosts the American institute of Architects’ National Convention. Participants may wonder where the “city” of Atlanta is—as people long have. There’s no great urban gathering place (the fussy, tired Olympic Centennial Park hosts no local life but simply foregrounds such architecturally inept attractions intended to distract conventioneers as the World of Coca Cola and the Georgia Aquarium.

More...Atlanta embraces food culture, wild-west urbanity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 01:05 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Sounds like this guy is just a curmudgeon (I say, as a fellow curmudgeon!)

I mean, the guy went to Howell freaking Mill Road (probably on the advice of someone from this very board). Yeah, if that was one of the only parts of Atlanta I saw, I would think it was dumpy, too. Not exactly our strongest selling point. The theme from Samford and Son still echoes through my mind when I drive down that street.

And, he liked Krog Street Market, which as you all know, I can't stand. So I am pretty much stark opposite of him.

Why didn't he go to midtown? East Atlanta? Virginia Highland?

You can overpay for crummy food anywhere, so I don't see the value of a Krog Street Market. But I'd love to take someone like this for lunch at Homegrown, a rock show at the Earl, and a night cap at the Clermont Lounge.

If you come to Atlanta and go to Howell Mill Road, yeah, I can imagine it would just seem dumpy.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:40 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Somebody needs to set this guy up on a date with James Kuntsler.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:47 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Yea what a terrible tour this guy did. And he went in winter, our most dull season for flora and fauna. Any other season and he would've been treated to flowers and pollen, a city in a forest or fall foliage like the best of the east coast. Going on a gloomy day makes any city seem bleak and devoid of hope. Who sends someone down Howell Mill instead of Peachtree St? May as well drive down Fulton Industrial or something. Anyone who can figure out how to get to aerial imagery on google maps can find better urban areas.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Somebody needs to set this guy up on a date with James Kuntsler.
EXACTLY what I was thinking as I read his snarky blog.

Just like Kuntsler, he speaks out of both sides of his mouth:

"The BeltLine has come to fruition slowly and so far feels a bit clumsily over-engineered yet under-designed (masterplan by Perkins + Will with James Corner Field Operations), which reflects the widespread disrespect for the possibilities of architecture in Atlanta."

Old 10-23-2015, 02:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I don't know who Kuntsler is, but if I grew up with a last name like that, I probably wouldn't be Mr. Happy either.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:09 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
He's full of snark, but he's not entirely wrong.

Here's a local blogpiece sort of sparked by this article, with a bonus interview with Tim Keane - who is impressing me.

Atlanta: don

Old 10-23-2015, 03:11 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
And y'all don't hate on Kunstler - Geography of Nowhere made urbanism incredibly relatable to me. It was the first book I read on the concept...and I was hooked (as a layperson).

Actually it might have been The Long Emergency...I think I was researching Peak Oil and it led me there..

Old 10-23-2015, 03:27 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
And y'all don't hate on Kunstler - Geography of Nowhere made urbanism incredibly relatable to me. It was the first book I read on the concept...and I was hooked (as a layperson).

Actually it might have been The Long Emergency...I think I was researching Peak Oil and it led me there..
Yes! Geography of Nowhere is essential reading. I don't think Kunstler is overly harsh. He visited Atlanta in 2010, I believe. He was particularly scathing about the Portman zone downtown, but on point. That's really the worst part of downtown from an urbanism standpoint. He was kinder to Midtown and had nice words about Glenwood Park. But he seems to believe Atlanta is going to cease being a major city when air conditioning is no longer viable. And he does double-down on the belief we're heading toward a Mad Max style future (technologically, at least).

Old 10-23-2015, 03:40 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Yes! Geography of Nowhere is essential reading. I don't think Kunstler is overly harsh. He visited Atlanta in 2010, I believe. He was particularly scathing about the Portman zone downtown, but on point. That's really the worst part of downtown from an urbanism standpoint. He was kinder to Midtown and had nice words about Glenwood Park. But he seems to believe Atlanta is going to cease being a major city when air conditioning is no longer viable. And he does double-down on the belief we're heading toward a Mad Max style future (technologically, at least).
Good thing he's wrong about that. With the rise of renewable energy, we'll not have to worry about the lack of electricity. And the traffic will curb excessive auto use long before we run out of oil.

I no longer take these people (like Kunstler) as seriously as I once did...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta