Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:15 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,414 times

Advertisements

Apple wants $199 which is absurd.

Many of the vendors in the malls I've heard bad things about. iPhone didn't work as it should afterward.

Is there a store that you've had a great experience with that uses the same gorilla glass or whatever it is called?

Thanks,
ATL Golfer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:46 AM

253 posts, read 303,273 times
You can DIY yourself for 50 bucks or less. I honestly would just go to Apple, a 3rd party repair place will probably charge 100-130 assuming you have an iphone 6/6+. The older the iphone the less expensive the repair however, but IMO a phone is used daily, and at least going to Apple you know they will do it right. My Girlfriend used a Groupon for someplace to fix her iphone 5S and they used CHEAP terrible replacement glass and then did a bad job installing that the phones screen began to raise from the body frame, luckily she had an Upgrade and just got a new phone.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 AM

1,054 posts, read 922,191 times
Try uBreak iFix, this is the Buckhead location but they have several around town. They will probably charge $99

uBreakiFix
2770 Lenox Rd Northeast
Buckhead
Atlanta, GA 30324
uBreakiFix - 11 Photos - Electronics Repair - Buckhead - Atlanta, GA - Reviews - Yelp

Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
I really don't see why people continue to buy Apple anything...everyone I know that has one the screen is cracked.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
You can DIY yourself for 50 bucks or less. I honestly would just go to Apple, a 3rd party repair place will probably charge 100-130 assuming you have an iphone 6/6+. The older the iphone the less expensive the repair however, but IMO a phone is used daily, and at least going to Apple you know they will do it right. My Girlfriend used a Groupon for someplace to fix her iphone 5S and they used CHEAP terrible replacement glass and then did a bad job installing that the phones screen began to raise from the body frame, luckily she had an Upgrade and just got a new phone.
From what I've read, replacing the glass on a 6 or 6+ is substantially harder than it was on the previous models. DIY for those models often leads to ruined phones. You can DIY replace the screen with the glass, which is much easier, but the parts run over $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I really don't see why people continue to buy Apple anything...everyone I know that has one the screen is cracked.
My screen isn't cracked (iPhone 5). Neither is my wife's (iPhone 4). Can't say the same for my daughters' unfortunately.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:48 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Had my iPhone for half a year and 2 iPod touches before that since 08. Never had so much as a scratch on my screen. I don't understand how so many get cracked screens. I never had a case on my ipod. I just never dropped it.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:56 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Apple wants $199 which is absurd.

Many of the vendors in the malls I've heard bad things about. iPhone didn't work as it should afterward.

Is there a store that you've had a great experience with that uses the same gorilla glass or whatever it is called?

Thanks,
ATL Golfer
I've had good experiences with Simply Mac (formerly Peach Mac).

Old 09-23-2015, 12:20 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
I wouldn't use an unauthorized service provider to repair my iPhone, ever. You're talking about a $600+ device, paying $200 to repair the screen, one of the largest, most expensive components, is by no means absurd. Especially when that repair conveys a 1 year warranty on the replaced part, and you know that your phone won't be further damaged during the repair. If you're prone to breaking your valuable electronics, opt for AppleCare when you buy the next one so you can get a replacement phone inexpensively.

I love the commenter above who suggested that Apple devices are any more prone to breaking. I've lost track of the number of Samsung phones I have seen with glass fronts that look like a convenience store window after a sports riot.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:04 AM

6 posts, read 4,108 times
Try the iHospital. I can't recall the prices however their work is great and you can also get a color change if you like.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:32 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,414 times
Sorry, we're talking about an iPad Mini 2 people. Not that it really changes anything.

Quote:
I wouldn't use an unauthorized service provider to repair my iPhone, ever. You're talking about a $600+ device, paying $200 to repair the screen, one of the largest, most expensive components, is by no means absurd.
When you can buy an iPad Mini 3, brand new, for $225 (Best Buy flash sale yesterday) it is absolutely absurd. Glass is not that expensive. Apple is already the most profitable business on the planet. Do they really need to gouge on repairs to the extent that they've created an entire sub market of 3rd party repair shops? These repair shops use the same glass that the Apple store does to replace.

For the record, I bought 4 of these yesterday. Will resell to pay for cost of repair on mine.

Quote:
Had my iPhone for half a year and 2 iPod touches before that since 08. Never had so much as a scratch on my screen. I don't understand how so many get cracked screens. I never had a case on my ipod. I just never dropped it.
Do you have three boys under the age of 5? Thanks for adding to the question at hand.

Quote:
I've had several iPhones/iPads and one Mac. Never had an issue until my son dropped onto a hard surface. And I keep them minimally protected as I don't like bulky cases.

Thank you all for the good recs. ubreakifix was $150 for repair. Still out of the question. Need to call others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta