Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 7,969 times

Advertisements

Hello

I will relocate in March from Miami, FL. Looking to rent a room temporarily in an upscale area in the Alpharetta area.

I wish to get a feel of the various areas as I will be working in the surrounding areas, rotating all over. This will give me a chance to see what area I want to plant roots.

* Just myself, age 51 - Female - Professional
* Monthly budget $800
* Home preferred, or townhouse. No condo or apt
* Furnished, no special amenities required, but prefer gated or secured community
*Near highways a plus

Just wondering what area's would be recommended. If anyone here knows South Florida, a comparable city here would be Coral Gables, Pinecrest or South Miami.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 04:54 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Are you looking to rent a room in a house or a whole house? You might find a room in someone's house for this price. Otherwise, you will need to consider studio apartments or increase your budget.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:13 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Short term furnished rentals will be difficult to come by. I am familiar with the area you are moving from, and it is very different from what you'll find north of Atlanta. Alpharetta, John's Creek, Milton, Roswell, all have some very nice areas, and there are apartments and townhomes, but you would have to sign a lease. At your price point, gated isn't likely to happen, it's just not as common here as it is in South Florida. When we first moved to FL in 2002, we stayed in a short term furnished Gables property. I think they still offer that, but it's expensive. In our case, for a 3 bedroom it was $3900.

You can try Promove.com to see what's available, but realistically, if you aren't moving till March, what's available today will have no bearing then. There are residential type hotels in the area.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:51 PM

To clarify: renting a room only. Not the whole house. I am currently doing the reverse now. I rent a room to someone so I know how to vet people and protect myself. Been doing it for a year now and has gone very well. I don't jus tlet anyone in. I've looked on easyroommate.com and roomster.com and seen some GA room rentals in my price range. Just don't know how common it is done there. And certainly don't know the areas personally.

I do like the John's Creek, Milton areas etc, but can't afford them at this time as a full house rental. I just wanted to stick my toe in the water.

Thank you all for your kind responses. And, for the record, I would never use craigslist for anything. But why is GA hell?

SoFlorida ain't so great itself.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:19 PM

155 posts, read 126,986 times
Did you try using AirBnB and then selecting 'Private Room' for the dates needed?

Old 11-01-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil_happy View Post
Did you try using AirBnB and then selecting 'Private Room' for the dates needed?
Yes, I did that as well. That's a similar option as the other two rental sites I tried. I guess I'd like to know which areas I mentioned above would be a best option for me. I suppose I am going to have to view them all individually. I am visiting at Christmastime so hopefully a tour will do me good. Thank you all for your kind help.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:30 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Barracuda View Post
To clarify: renting a room only. Not the whole house. I am currently doing the reverse now. I rent a room to someone so I know how to vet people and protect myself. Been doing it for a year now and has gone very well. I don't jus tlet anyone in. I've looked on easyroommate.com and roomster.com and seen some GA room rentals in my price range. Just don't know how common it is done there. And certainly don't know the areas personally.

I do like the John's Creek, Milton areas etc, but can't afford them at this time as a full house rental. I just wanted to stick my toe in the water.

Thank you all for your kind responses. And, for the record, I would never use craigslist for anything. But why is GA hell?

SoFlorida ain't so great itself.
Not sure who told you Ga is hell. It's not. Lots of very nice welcoming folks no matter where in the state you may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta