Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 02:00 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
This is why I said, "If he truly is a member of the KKK, you think he is voting with ALL Georgia residents in mind? Funny." I purposely said if, and whether or not he is a member, my points are all still valid.

Edit: That said, I should have also done my due diligence and seen that the list currently out there is not the one released by Anonymous. Apologies on that front. I still stand by everything I said though, and it is not hard to believe that politicians throughout the South likely had/have affiliations with such groups, or at least have the same views.
No, not hard believe that a significant number hold similar views, although the Klan has been out of fashion for the politically ambitious for some time now, and it would be moderately surprising to me if anyone high profile was ever a member during the digital age, and shocking if they were current members.

That said, branding a specific individuals, with certain labels with flimsy evidence is wrong--and makes those who repeat the accusations (even with qualifications) seem desperate to believe anything that confirms their world view--I believe that to be true of folks all over the political spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 02:08 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
No, not hard believe that a significant number hold similar views, although the Klan has been out of fashion for the politically ambitious for some time now, and it would be moderately surprising to me if anyone high profile was ever a member during the digital age, and shocking if they were current members.

That said, branding a specific individuals, with certain labels with flimsy evidence is wrong--and makes those who repeat the accusations (even with qualifications) seem desperate to believe anything that confirms their world view--I believe that to be true of folks all over the political spectrum.
A lot of Democrats I know latched on to the accusations as fact as soon as they were "leaked" like a moth to a flame. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:40 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Folks do everything for a reason--rich folks, poor folks, black and white. What are the reasons for anyone to move to a poor black area? Schools? Safety? More de facto tolerance of illegal/undesirable activity? Healthier place to live? Commute? Cheap housing? Altruism? Familiarity? Shopping? I am being serious. If integration is the goal, folks need a reason to spend the only life they have, and the only childhood of their kids to achieve it. Maybe spending money to make poorer areas more attractive to the middle class/educated would help as much as spending more on social services for the poor. Scholarships for the kids of teachers/professors/post-docs/scientists of any race that enroll their kids in "failing" schools? In the new economy there are a lot of well-educated folks that, while not poor, are having trouble making ends meet and providing for their kids education (and it's going to keep getting worse)--why not give incentives for them to bring their resources to poorer areas? Maybe it's not a great idea, but somebody needs to bring some creative solutions to the table.
I like this.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:41 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Laws cannot change local traditions in cities/states/municipalities. If that were the case then all schools would have actively desegregated in the south in 1955 after Brown v. Board. That did not occur. Bussing was instituted in the 1970s in order to implement the 1955 decision. Attitudes do not change overnight on these sorts of issues.

It is nonsense to believe that just because the Fair Housing Act was passed in the 1960s that all of the sudden, black people were able to buy homes wherever they could afford. The act initially only covered rental discrimination and surveys all the way through this century indicate that in many areas around the country, that nothing has changed in regards to housing discrimination in rental dwellings. I am a land lord and I know many other landlords who admit that they don't rent to single mothers, especially hispanic or black single mothers or women in general, which is a violation of the Act. This still occurs today.

Also, the FHA who provided loans to Americans for homes without them having the 20% downpayment (this program is still popular today) did not allow the majority of black Americans to obtain a mortgage all the way through the 1980s, which is what I was speaking about. The FHA is a government program. This program actively discriminated against black people and that discrimination is directly attributable to the creation of black ghettos in this country since blacks could not live anywhere except a black/negro area and even if they had the money to move out they could not due to local tradition and lack of enforcement of subsequent housing discrimination laws in various local areas, including Atlanta. The OP article in the link came from the 1980s. Read the article and do some local research into housing discrimination.

As I stated, poor whites and poorly looked upon ethnic European immigrants were not denied FHA mortgages or the ability to move to the burbs in the 1950s and 1960s and 1970s like black people were. As a result, they had 30-50 years of accumulated wealth via their homes. Black people had to live in the ghetto or defined black neighborhoods which were (and still are) valued as less than those of formerly non-redlined neighborhoods. This has a direct correlation to economic advancement and wealth disparities in this country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
PLEASE tell me this is your idea of a joke.

This is a very long read, but well worth it; it covers this topic in amazing detail.

Amen.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:22 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
PLEASE tell me this is your idea of a joke.

This is a very long read, but well worth it; it covers this topic in amazing detail.
Bookmarking this to read later.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You said the government actively discriminated in the 70s and 80s. Your thoughtful comments above prove that your original comment was nonsense. Individuals discriminated. Realtors steered. The government didn't prohibit those people from moving.

FHA had 5% loans. There were all kinds of programs for 1st time home buyers starting the in 70s. And the last recession proved that there was a reason for these sorts of rules. Its not active discrimination. It is good underwriting. Those things got ignored and the entire country paid. That doesn't mean Blacks didn't have harder times meeting those downpayment and loan standards. They did. And when those got waived, they (and whites with similar economic situations) defaulted at high rates.
None of my comments remove blame from government actively discriminating against black home buyers. As stated, the FHA is a government program. Inaction on discriminatory practices is an action in and of itself, therefore, by ignoring the discrimination, the government (i.e. the FHA) actively discriminated against black Americans.

In regards to the recent housing crisis and recession, homebuyers were not to blame for that occurrence. Both banks and governments were to blame.

And the FHA began in the 1930s. As stated, it rated black neighborhoods as not being of value, as such realtors, insurance companies, and banks would not back mortgages for black people in black neighborhoods. That rating was a direct action in regards to discrimination based on the race and/or ethnicity of the residents of a particular neighborhood.

Those black people who were not a risk and who had good credit and stable jobs but who wanted to move out of their inner city neighborhoods, were many times denied that opportunity not just by federal, but by local law (also known as "the government.") As stated, you should review local Atlanta history in regards to housing discrimination by government, including local/municipal, county, state, and federal actions/inactions.

As other posters have noted, this issue is still an issue today. It is not as widespread as it once was due to black people actively campaigning during the 1970s and 1980s in particular on this issue which forced local government to take action to implement fair housing regulations.

You should read the article posted to get an idea of how this impacted black neighborhoods and families.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:52 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
This is why I said, "If he truly is a member of the KKK, you think he is voting with ALL Georgia residents in mind? Funny." I purposely said if, and whether or not he is a member, my points are all still valid.

Edit: That said, I should have also done my due diligence and seen that the list currently out there is not the one released by Anonymous. Apologies on that front. I still stand by everything I said though, and it is not hard to believe that politicians throughout the South likely had/have affiliations with such groups, or at least have the same views.
I find it hard to believe people believe your last sentence. People like that who were in power are all 80+ years old and probably older.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:57 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
None of my comments remove blame from government actively discriminating against black home buyers. As stated, the FHA is a government program. Inaction on discriminatory practices is an action in and of itself, therefore, by ignoring the discrimination, the government (i.e. the FHA) actively discriminated against black Americans.

In regards to the recent housing crisis and recession, homebuyers were not to blame for that occurrence. Both banks and governments were to blame.

And the FHA began in the 1930s. As stated, it rated black neighborhoods as not being of value, as such realtors, insurance companies, and banks would not back mortgages for black people in black neighborhoods. That rating was a direct action in regards to discrimination based on the race and/or ethnicity of the residents of a particular neighborhood.

Those black people who were not a risk and who had good credit and stable jobs but who wanted to move out of their inner city neighborhoods, were many times denied that opportunity not just by federal, but by local law (also known as "the government.") As stated, you should review local Atlanta history in regards to housing discrimination by government, including local/municipal, county, state, and federal actions/inactions.

As other posters have noted, this issue is still an issue today. It is not as widespread as it once was due to black people actively campaigning during the 1970s and 1980s in particular on this issue which forced local government to take action to implement fair housing regulations.

You should read the article posted to get an idea of how this impacted black neighborhoods and families.
The question is not about what happened in the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s or early 1960s. That is well documented. And there are certainly lingering impacts. I lived through the changes in the 70s and saw steering and heard of individual discrimination. But I also remember the various government actions and lawsuits to stop such actions. Because things didn't change overnight doesn't mean the government didn't work to create change.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:06 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:

Worth repeating.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The question is not about what happened in the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s or early 1960s. That is well documented. And there are certainly lingering impacts. I lived through the changes in the 70s and saw steering and heard of individual discrimination. But I also remember the various government actions and lawsuits to stop such actions. Because things didn't change overnight doesn't mean the government didn't work to create change.

Not to be facetious but lol at the bold as that is exactly what I said and you followed up by saying it was nonsense. Activist had to protest and file law suits to get the government (i.e. federal, state, county, local/muncipality) to enforce housing laws. This occurred in the 1970s and the 1980s. It wasn't until that time that black Americans really began to be able to accumulate wealth as it relates to one's biggest lifetime investment - housing. Ethnic white families or rural white poor, had a 50 year head start on wealth accumulation as a result, which is why, as I stated, I place no weight on the stories of poor people in the past who "worked hard" as if black families didn't also work hard. They did, they just didn't have the opportunity to create wealth like poor white families did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta