Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 05:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
The graph was made by the blogger. It used the numbers from the adjusted ridership data from the National Transit Database, instead of the raw data. If they had used the raw data, you would have seen it all suddenly slam to 0 riders for the last four months.

That doesn't mean there were 0 riders, it means that there's missing data, which isn't actually all that odd. Since the blogger used the adjusted data instead, the ridership appears to approach zero, but that's just because there are zeros where the NTD is trying to estimate the ridership for missing months.

Without further data to fix the estimates, they approach zero, when reality is very different.

Right, the blog post was a bad piece of statistical analysis, and is not at all something to use as evidence. The posted graph is all but worthless as anything but a lesson in how to better do your research before making bold claims.
Do you honestly expect that on CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 06:08 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
I think it's safe to say that the data in the OP was debunked by about the 7th post.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:23 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
U.S. Cities Spend $1.2 Billion on Streetcars to Nowhere - Bloomberg Politics

Article removed - use link above to read. Do not post articles w/o direct ok from author - just post links to the articles.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 12-15-2015 at 11:25 PM..

Old 12-15-2015, 12:48 PM

1 year is not long enough to judge is a project is successful or not. If that is the case, in year one of the federal interstate project, when no cities were connected, did the media portray it as a failure?

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 12-15-2015 at 11:26 PM..

Old 12-15-2015, 01:24 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,526 times
I still cringe every day when I see this thread pop up given how brutally and thoroughly its entire premise has been debunked. Can we close it and consolidate our streetcar whining into a single thread?

Old 12-15-2015, 01:46 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,572 times
I still cringe every day when I see the Atlanta streetcar still exists given how brutally and thoroughly its entire premise has been debunked. Can we close it and consolidate our money wasting efforts into a single service (MARTA)?

Old 12-15-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I still cringe every day when I see the Atlanta streetcar still exists given how brutally and thoroughly its entire premise has been debunked. Can we close it and consolidate our money wasting efforts into a single service (MARTA)?
Don't worry, I do the same thing when I see the freeway system and how it destroyed urban America.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:29 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
edgy

Old 12-15-2015, 04:34 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,226,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Boy, you sure do love to put down things you see as childish, without looking to see the bigger picture. Yes downtown has a ferris wheel. It also has the Equtable building. If has places to get icecream, and cuban sandwitches, and gyros, and burritos. It has the court house, capital, hospitals, and hotels, all of which are surrounded by scyscraper offices and housing.

Your argument seems to be this:
the streetcar is an attraction for tourists. It is this because it goes to tourist places, and is short. Therefore, since it is an attraction for tourists, we should not extend it beyond those touristy places.
That is terrible circular logic that will only serve to feed a self-fulfilling profecy of failure. Yes the current loop won't stand up well on its own, that's why all those expansion plans are in the works, or seeking funding! The loop was built to handle capacity upgrades and extensions. It was built to be built from. It won't ever be more than it is, unless we build upon it!

I call it like I see it, good OR bad. I think ANY money spent in downtown Atlanta needs to go to refurbishing and improving downtown Atlanta. No side shows or interest. Improve the cabs, add more MARTA rail, improve bus services, clean up the filth and crime, bulldoze 1/2 of that which lies below Marietta Street and start over.....

Ferris Wheels, Log Flumes, Street Cars, Underground can wait. If you research the number of larger companies in downtown you will clearly see the migration towards Mid-Town and points North. Most of those buildings downtown can be refurbished or gutted. Much like the nice hotel across from 180 Peachtree. I think it's a Marriott Courtyard. They did a nice job on a famous old building.

More of THAT and less of the things that get under my skin. Downtown is not for Six Flags like entertainment. Street cars can never be taken seriously in this city. Better cab, Bus, Shuttle, and yes, Marta Rail, can. Things we NEED, not things we LIKE........

Old 12-15-2015, 04:39 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times
Who cares how long it's been running? It's a 2 mile loop! The project you are judging as a failure is under construction and is only 1/25th complete in its build out.

That's like only giving Star Wars the funding for 5 minutes of footage, and then calling it the worst movie of the decade and an epic flop.

Reminds me of the MARTA train. Conservatives out in the suburbs refusing to fund it or let it go anywhere, and then in the next breath complaining that it's useless. The street car is not a failure- it is an inanimate object. It's a tool that the city can and should use as a transit system. So how about let's build that and do that. While making all the needed operating improvements along the way.

The failure and waste of money is if you just leave it in the state it's in now, or pull up the tracks that they just got done building. Make the money invested so far just that- an investment. Learn lessons and keep plowing ahead. And let MARTA operate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta