Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 05:54 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,499,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
As it should be.

Now, Tucker needs to annex the rest of Livsey, Evansdale, the rest of Northlake, and the Henderson/Henderson Mill Area.

Pleasantdale and points north to Doraville.

Embry Hills to Chamblee.

The rest of the proposed LaVista Hills, Greater Druid Hills, Medlock, McLendon/Valley Brook corridor, Scottdale, Sandtown, Fulton Industrial, South Fulton north of Union City/Fairburn, Gresham Park, Candler-McAfee, most of Belvedere Park, White Oak Hills, and Constitution all to the City of Atlanta.
I agree - I sincerely hope this is what ends up happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 AM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
I'm just curious to know if Tucker will try to annex Northlake.
I'd bet the farm on it.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:24 AM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Once again, I am in complete agreement with you.

I don't see any problem with Decatur and Avondale Estates being islands. The Park Cities here in Texas (Highland Park and University Park) are complete surrounded by Dallas. Decatur has had decades to be a sizeable city and has chosen to remain an island in unincorporated DeKalb. What's the big difference? And I'm just echoing your sentiments to the previous poster...
Santa Clara, CA is surrounded by San Jose on three sides and buttressed by Sunnyvale. My in-laws lived there for years and never mentioned it as a problem.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:06 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,169,058 times
Atlanta has a lot of areas directly adjacent to it that are still unincorporated. I'm just saying maybe they should start with some of those areas, before they look at annexing relatively quiet areas 8 miles away from the city along the east side of 285, or areas with Decatur address. Not bite off too much to chew at a time, at least at first. Not get too greedy.

Priority for the city's perspective should go to where the most to gain is obviously and that's obviously Emory. Given the results of this vote, I think Atlanta should extend their Druid Hills annexation proposal out to maybe Clairmont Rd or so, but not try to grab up most of LH.

And they should definitely annex Constitution, Gresham Park, and the rest of East Lake. But not most of suburban DeKalb county. At least not in the first push that way.

And in the meantime, they've got to battle it out on the westside, just to get the city limits out to Fulton Industrial and the river, in their own county. So Scottdale and Panthersville are gonna have to wait a sec.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,210,235 times
Quote:
And--Three new cities should form in South DeKalb: Redan, Arabia Mountain, and Panthersville.
I don't think Panthersville needs to be its own city It's basically a mall and a Georgia Perimeter campus.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,695,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Atlanta has a lot of areas directly adjacent to it that are still unincorporated. I'm just saying maybe they should start with some of those areas, before they look at annexing relatively quiet areas 8 miles away from the city along the east side of 285, or areas with Decatur address. Not bite off too much to chew at a time, at least at first. Not get too greedy.

Priority for the city's perspective should go to where the most to gain is obviously and that's obviously Emory. Given the results of this vote, I think Atlanta should extend their Druid Hills annexation proposal out to maybe Clairmont Rd or so, but not try to grab up most of LH.

And they should definitely annex Constitution, Gresham Park, and the rest of East Lake. But not most of suburban DeKalb county. At least not in the first push that way.

And in the meantime, they've got to battle it out on the westside, just to get the city limits out to Fulton Industrial and the river, in their own county. So Scottdale and Panthersville are gonna have to wait a sec.
CoA should only annex areas that will offset the additional cost of supplying services with taxes. Many residential-heavy, low density areas will cost the city more money than it will bring in. Druid Hills/Emory, FIB corridor, Camp Creek corridor, and Sandtown make sense but Gresham Park other South-Central DeKalb areas would cost more money and become a strain on CoA and APS.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:37 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,210,235 times
Quote:
The rest of the proposed LaVista Hills, Greater Druid Hills, Medlock, McLendon/Valley Brook corridor, Scottdale, Sandtown, Fulton Industrial, South Fulton north of Union City/Fairburn, Gresham Park, Candler-McAfee, most of Belvedere Park, White Oak Hills, and Constitution all to the City of Atlanta.
Now this makes sense. Add Panthersville to this list, since it's right beside Gresham Park and Candler-McAfee (which I'm still shocked has its own name) anyway.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:51 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,067,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
CoA should only annex areas that will offset the additional cost of supplying services with taxes. Many residential-heavy, low density areas will cost the city more money than it will bring in. Druid Hills/Emory, FIB corridor, Camp Creek corridor, and Sandtown make sense but Gresham Park other South-Central DeKalb areas would cost more money and become a strain on CoA and APS.
Having the immediate areas adjacent to East Lake and East Atlanta get annexed would probably be reasonable (and clean up the boundaries nicely):

Old 11-04-2015, 08:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,695,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Having the immediate areas adjacent to East Lake and East Atlanta get annexed would probably be reasonable (and clean up the boundaries nicely):
Who cares about clean borders if providing services to the area will cost more than the taxes brought in? Those areas are mostly residential, which costs more to provide services to than taxes generated.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:36 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,463,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Not exactly, those areas in Dekalb you mentioned have some city-owned properties as well so the City of Atlanta would want to all of its owned property within city jurisdiction. Additionally, those areas already possess schools so those school properties would just become apart of APS thus relieve any spillover for existing facilities in Southeast Atlanta. The only issue of concern would be the water & sewer responsibilities which would likely remain in the hands of the Dekalb County Department of Watershed Management in the interim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta