Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 03:08 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times

Advertisements

A project off of Cheshire Bridge could be an example of how incremental redevelopment could slow transform our sprawl:

Big Cheshire Bridge Proposal could Wipe Out 18 Houses - Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes - Curbed Atlanta

They are buying 18 homes on a cul-de-sac and transforming it into a 89 townhomes in a more grid-like layout.

It is not hard to imagine those "nubs" of streets being used as at least walking connections to neighboring properties as they redevelop too.

We are often critical that Atlanta's layout makes it impossible to bring more density, but I think we are seeing small examples all around us of where things are incrementally changing. Few world class cities are on a grid, so Atlanta will be in good company if it keeps moving forward building denser developments where they can and running connecting streets and paths through where they are needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
I'm sure the infrastructure to support all this density is being well thought out.

But I guess it doesn't matter....because they're gonna walk everywhere, right?

Old 11-04-2015, 04:00 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm sure the infrastructure to support all this density is being well thought out.

Traffic is a disaster there. Other than that, it makes sense.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:36 PM

749 posts, read 886,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Density is needed to support expansion of transit, is it not?

Old 11-04-2015, 05:38 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
How do you get all 18 current home owners to sell....????

I Google Street'ed that Street (Sept 2014) the home there look nice, well cared for.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:41 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
How do you get all 18 current home owners to sell....????

I Google Street'ed that Street (Sept 2014) the home there look nice, well cared for.
Money talks.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:07 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
We are often critical that Atlanta's layout makes it impossible to bring more density, but I think we are seeing small examples all around us of where things are incrementally changing. Few world class cities are on a grid, so Atlanta will be in good company if it keeps moving forward building denser developments where they can and running connecting streets and paths through where they are needed.
I've seen a lot of this sort of thing going on in the ATL. Pack 'em in, jack up the price and move on to the next lot.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:19 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
A project off of Cheshire Bridge could be an example of how incremental redevelopment could slow transform our sprawl:

Big Cheshire Bridge Proposal could Wipe Out 18 Houses - Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes - Curbed Atlanta

They are buying 18 homes on a cul-de-sac and transforming it into a 89 townhomes in a more grid-like layout.

It is not hard to imagine those "nubs" of streets being used as at least walking connections to neighboring properties as they redevelop too.

One problem with this kind of development, though, is when the townhomes are very cheaply built--then they just become disposable, i.e. turn into slum apartments in 20 years when they start to show their age. Some of the townhomes being built along Peachtree in south Buckhead are solid, built to last, like NYC brownstones--those have a future. I fear these will not--the owners will simply sell in 15 years and buy "new" again somewhere a little farther out and these will deteriorate in place.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
I'm also a little surprised at the lack of amenities. I know that every square foot matters intown, but you'd think if they were building this many townhomes they would put in a pool of some kind. Guess not.

EDIT - is that a pool in the master amenity area? The pic is so small I can't tell if it is a pool or a clubhouse of some sort

Old 11-04-2015, 08:31 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
The market speaks. People would prefer to live in these townhomes rather than the SFH that were there before. I know I would.

The quality of all the townhomes I have seen are better than many of the 90s McMansions that make up so much of our sprawl I have encountered. And the amenities are better than the homes that were there before.

Hope to see this trend continue. These smaller incremental projects are how Atlanta gets the density it needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta