Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:58 PM

114 posts, read 134,094 times

Advertisements

To me, either this city has changed a lot over the years due to transplants, or Southern hospitality was never even all that big of a thing here. I'm writing this because I visited Macon, GA this morning, and really noticed how friendly the people there were. It just seemed noticeably different from the vibe I get in Atlanta, at least today... seemed more like TRUE Southern hospitality.

People won't even really make much eye contact with you here and don't seem too interested in conversing with people they don't know. Must be a big city thing?

I'm not saying Atlanta is full of horrible, mean people. I do see a lot of politeness and non-confrontational mannerisms here but that's really not the same thing as genuine friendliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:21 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,992,662 times
It all comes down to each individual, so there is no real "southern hospitality of Atlanta". Some people are hospitable and others aren't.

In reality, Atlanta is a big city and you really can't expect people to exhibit small-town friendliness in a big city. I'm generally friendly, but I don't go around striking up conversations with people on MARTA or even looking people in the eye because you just don't know what negative situation might arise from it. You need to be on your guard in a big city environment, and that doesn't go hand-in-hand with southern hospitality. I think a lot of Atlantans are still hospitable, but it is not on display in every situation.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:30 PM

114 posts, read 134,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It all comes down to each individual, so there is no real "southern hospitality of Atlanta". Some people are hospitable and others aren't.

In reality, Atlanta is a big city and you really can't expect people to exhibit small-town friendliness in a big city. I'm generally friendly, but I don't go around striking up conversations with people on MARTA or even looking people in the eye because you just don't know what negative situation might arise from it. You need to be on your guard in a big city environment, and that doesn't go hand-in-hand with southern hospitality. I think a lot of Atlantans are still hospitable, but it is not on display in every situation.
Well stated. Makes sense.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:54 PM

580 posts, read 1,417,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post

Well said and trust me it's not just the big city thing. I moved here from Jackson, Mississippi which isn't close to Atlanta in terms of population and some people were hospitable around the city and some wasn't. I am generally a person who have no problem just speaking I lose no energy from it. Some people choose otherwise lol

Old 11-04-2015, 09:00 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,996,781 times
Interesting that you say that about Macon.

Last Christmas on my way to Florida, I stopped at the Macon mall to eat dinner on the road in the fast food court. The whole time I was there, I felt like I was totally being sized up by a group of teens. I just got that feeling in my gut, something really feels like it is about to go down here. I was extremely careful walking back to my car.

I don't know what it was. I've never had that feeling in Atlanta, even after all the places I've been, which include Underground, Greenbriar Mall, Five Points, Auburn Avenue (before it got decent), etc.

I feel like Macon is much more sinister than Atlanta.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,823,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Last Christmas on my way to Florida, I stopped at the Macon mall to eat dinner on the road in the fast food court. The whole time I was there, I felt like I was totally being sized up by a group of teens. I just got that feeling in my gut, something really feels like it is about to go down here. I was extremely careful walking back to my car.

I don't know what it was. I've never had that feeling in Atlanta, even after all the places I've been, which include Underground, Greenbriar Mall, Five Points, Auburn Avenue (before it got decent), etc.

Well, your first mistake was going to Macon Mall ... and for the FOOD COURT?! There are lots of good fast-food places right off I-75 at Riverside and Bass, and I-475 at Thomaston Road. Heck, you could have gone 20 miles further south to Centerville / Warner Robins and eaten at the mall there!

TO THE OP: If you think MACON is friendly, come to Savannah.

Savannah ranked top 10 friendliest city in the world - Story | Savannah | WJCL News | Working for You | WJCL

Old 11-04-2015, 11:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,855,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

What newsboy said, times ten.

That used to be a nice area, but that ship sailed many years ago unfortunately.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:15 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,239,765 times
Southern Hospitality is a sham that exacerbates all sort of problems.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 AM

10,737 posts, read 13,305,475 times
I don't know about "Southern" hospitality, but like any place, Atlanta is full of hospitable folks and has its share of inhospitable folks. Just like any other place on the planet.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,953,883 times
Just smile and say hi to people. They'll almost always smile and say hi back. In DC and points north, they'll just give you a strange look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta