Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 09:22 PM

145 posts, read 166,086 times

Advertisements

I would suspect that a store likely has done the analysis, as it pertains to game-day traffic, before committing to agreeing to open stores. 182 games a season, 91 being at home. Using 2016 as a proxy, 26 game weekend game days and 65 weekday games. Or 7% and 18%, respectively in comparison to the calendar year. I am sure there are similar calculations for impact from weather.

More people would take MARTA to Lenox Mall if they had easy access to a station near their homes. It's not just the convenience to the destination that matters, but also the starting point.

I am in Smyrna and have seen home prices rise, but there is no way to correlate to Braves. Keep in mind we are base building from a relative historic low in prices, a reversion to the mean. Sometimes areas just get oversold.

Are people moving to South Cobb to live closer to their jobs? Are they getting priced out of Midtown and Buckhead? Are they moving-in closer from the exurbs due to increased traffic? Are we seeing a net population growth coming from outside of the metro area/state? There are many different possibilities.

For me, it was a combination of a few different factors back in 2012: proximity to Atlanta (GT) and Buckhead, hilly landscape, Silver Comet Trail, easier access to the airport and ultimately that suburban lifestyle that reflected how I grew up. I am happy that I was able to buy at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 05:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
As dead as the Braves are to me and as scummy as this deal was, I want Cumberland and Cobb to succeed. I doubt this makes the Cumberland area any nicer than it was going to be. I think the appeal of being near a stadium is pretty narrow, the negative is substantial. If there were another option to get out of the area, I think that would add tremendous value to the area. Throw a few transit stops and you can have an option to avoid the inevitable congestion.

It will be interesting to see how far out, geographically, this thing has an effect.
99% of the existing office buildings are separated from the stadium by 12-16 lane freeways, with few pedestrian friendly crossings.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:10 AM

16 posts, read 24,477 times
There are 89 home Braves games - most of those are at night - I don't think the traffic will be a great issue.
Now there may be other events that will cause an increase in traffic in the area.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:51 AM

764 posts, read 1,108,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have often wondered why more people coming to Lenox and Phipps don't take MARTA. They've got two train stations, plenty of bus lines and a shuttle.
This is easy to answer. I can drive to Lenox in 20 minutes or less. To take MARTA, I would need to drive to the Perimeter Mall MARTA station (15 minutes), find a parking space in the multi-story deck, and then wait up to 20 minutes for a train. After getting on the train, there's an additional 7 minutes riding to the Lenox station. This whole process takes almost 40 minutes, whereas driving takes about 20. This is not counting paying for MARTA fare.

Think about all of the target market for Neiman Marcus, Cartier and other high end stores at Lenox (I'm not in the target, LOL)who reside in the west part of Buckhead, so you honestly think that they are going to walk to West Paces Ferry to catch a MARTA bus? These folks are actually Fulton County residents who are served by MARTA, yet it is extremely inconvenient for them to use it when they can drive there in 10 to 15 minutes.

Also, there are plenty of North Fulton residents, whether they reside in Sandy Springs, Roswell, Milton, Johns Creek or Alpharetta who shop at Lenox and Phipps and technically have MARTA service, yet I doubt that they even think of taking MARTA as a means of getting there.

So many on this board are so politically correct and have the outlook that every transportation activity in Metro Atlanta has to entail taking MARTA. Folks, driving around the Atlanta area is not that bad when it isn't morning or evening rush hour. Believe me, I have done it for years and I don't understand what all of the whining is about. Shopping is something you can do in on weekends or on your off hours and after 7 PM on week nights getting around is not that bad. Macy's is open to 10 PM Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, so there is an extra hour of shopping if you're a Macy's shopper. As we approach the Christmas season, there will be even longer hours (early openings and late closings) at all shopping centers.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:52 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
This is easy to answer. I can drive to Lenox in 20 minutes or less. To take MARTA, I would need to drive to the Perimeter Mall MARTA station (15 minutes), find a parking space in the multi-story deck, and then wait up to 20 minutes for a train. After getting on the train, there's an additional 7 minutes riding to the Lenox station. This whole process takes almost 40 minutes, whereas driving takes about 20. This is not counting paying for MARTA fare.

Think about all of the target market for Neiman Marcus, Cartier and other high end stores at Lenox (I'm not in the target, LOL)who reside in the west part of Buckhead, so you honestly think that they are going to walk to West Paces Ferry to catch a MARTA bus? These folks are actually Fulton County residents who are served by MARTA, yet it is extremely inconvenient for them to use it when they can drive there in 10 to 15 minutes.

Also, there are plenty of North Fulton residents, whether they reside in Sandy Springs, Roswell, Milton, Johns Creek or Alpharetta who shop at Lenox and Phipps and technically have MARTA service, yet I doubt that they even think of taking MARTA as a means of getting there.

So many on this board are so politically correct and have the outlook that every transportation activity in Metro Atlanta has to entail taking MARTA. Folks, driving around the Atlanta area is not that bad when it isn't morning or evening rush hour. Believe me, I have done it for years and I don't understand what all of the whining is about. Shopping is something you can do in on weekends or on your off hours and after 7 PM on week nights getting around is not that bad. Macy's is open to 10 PM Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, so there is an extra hour of shopping if you're a Macy's shopper. As we approach the Christmas season, there will be even longer hours (early openings and late closings) at all shopping centers.
So you're saying that even when people can take transit right to the front door they still prefer to drive?

Old 11-16-2015, 01:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,082 times
Quote:
So you're saying that even when people can take transit right to the front door they still prefer to drive?

For most, of course.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
For most, of course.
I think it honestly depends on individual situations. In my case, I live relatively close to a MARTA station and my office is right across from one, but my employer's parking is about half the cost of a subsidized MARTA pass. If they were the same price, I'd most likely ride the train.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:

Then they should not complain about shopping traffic and parking because there is an alternative.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:25 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Then they should not complain about shopping traffic and parking because there is an alternative.
People love to kvetch about traffic, cq.

Regardless of reality, they're going to complain about what a "nightmare" traffic is, how the city is "choking" on it, and how there's "gridlock" and "sprawl" as far as the eye can see.

For the vast majority, of course, folks will put up with it anyway. It's an inconvenience that happens a few hours a day and people have developed many strategies for handling it.

The good part is that traffic and parking are basically self-limiting problems. If traffic is genuinely too bad, people will go another route, choose a different time of day, take a bus or train, etc. If they can't find a parking place they'll simply go somewhere else.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:46 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,456 times
Traffic in Atlanta is primarily rush hour traffic, and it's not as bad as many other major cities with a broader transit system. Personally I wish Atlanta had more transit options, and scratch my head at some of the short-sighted positions against expanding the current system and footprint. Most people if had the choice of driving or MARTA would drive if it were convenient. The problem is driving is not the most convenient for many, and there are options for those folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta