U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM

14 posts, read 41,784 times
Smile Compare the DC area to Atlanta

Hello all,
My husband and our 3 kids are moving to the ATL area this summer. We live outside of DC and desperately want out of this area. We are hoping for a place with a lower cost of living and better housing choices, and definitely paying less for a house. My husband lived in Atlanta briefly and will be able to return working for social services programs. I will be looking for a teaching job. I know Atlanta sounds like it is overcrowded much like the DC area (in my opinion). I just wanted to hear from people from the DC area (I was born and raised there) who moved to Atlanta. How would you compare it? Was Atlanta what you thought it would be? All insight is welcome!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,227,211 times
I've never lived in D.C., but it sounds like you're looking for a drastic change, and if that's the case Atlanta is the wrong choice for you. You will go from one horrible traffic city to another. One horrible crime city to another. One overly congested metro area to another. Housing is cheaper, that is true. Is that enough for you to move to Atlanta? I would consider some other regional cities such as Charlotte, Raleigh, Tampa/St.Pete, Birmingham or Nashville if you really want a change from what you have now.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 PM

849 posts, read 2,392,336 times
Default forget

Tampa-St. Pete
Traffic here especially Tampa is awful, there's no public trans and crime is bad in Tampa. Housing is cheaper than DC but it's not exactly cheap in the good areas. Getting from Tampa to St. Pete or vice versa is nightmarish and even in Tampa itself comuting can be a disaster. There are very few teaching jobs, my husband has been trying for 2 years. For us Atlanta would be a step up because of the Orthodox Jewish community but for someone else who doesn't need that. I say Charlotte. I think Birmingham is limited and Alabama schools overall are abysmal. It's very homogeneous culturally and I don't know about Nashville. Charlotte is looking for teachers to the point of offering relo and other perks, at least they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I've never lived in D.C., but it sounds like you're looking for a drastic change, and if that's the case Atlanta is the wrong choice for you. You will go from one horrible traffic city to another. One horrible crime city to another. One overly congested metro area to another. Housing is cheaper, that is true. Is that enough for you to move to Atlanta? I would consider some other regional cities such as Charlotte, Raleigh, Tampa/St.Pete, Birmingham or Nashville if you really want a change from what you have now.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:13 PM

8,687 posts, read 11,720,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
Tampa-St. Pete
Traffic here especially Tampa is awful, there's no public trans and crime is bad in Tampa. Housing is cheaper than DC but it's not exactly cheap in the good areas. Getting from Tampa to St. Pete or vice versa is nightmarish and even in Tampa itself comuting can be a disaster. There are very few teaching jobs, my husband has been trying for 2 years. For us Atlanta would be a step up because of the Orthodox Jewish community but for someone else who doesn't need that. I say Charlotte. I think Birmingham is limited and Alabama schools overall are abysmal. It's very homogeneous culturally and I don't know about Nashville. Charlotte is looking for teachers to the point of offering relo and other perks, at least they were.
Yes, I recommend Nashville, Charlotte, or Raleigh-Durham.

On a smaller tier, consider these gems:

-Greenville, SC
-Wilmington, NC
-Winston-Salem, NC
-Savannah, GA
-Jacksonville, FL
-Augusta, GA
-Columbus, GA
-Brunswick, GA
-Chattanooga, TN
-Knoxville, TN
-Huntsville, AL
-Tallahassee, FL
-Asheville, NC

Old 02-01-2008, 04:39 PM

350 posts, read 941,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayjored Mom View Post
Hello all,
My husband and our 3 kids are moving to the ATL area this summer. We live outside of DC and desperately want out of this area. We are hoping for a place with a lower cost of living and better housing choices, and definitely paying less for a house. My husband lived in Atlanta briefly and will be able to return working for social services programs. I will be looking for a teaching job. I know Atlanta sounds like it is overcrowded much like the DC area (in my opinion). I just wanted to hear from people from the DC area (I was born and raised there) who moved to Atlanta. How would you compare it? Was Atlanta what you thought it would be? All insight is welcome!!!
I moved from DC to Atlanta and in general the day to day quality of life is better here in Atlanta. I moved from Farifax county to Fulton county not sure where you are in DC. The only thing I really miss is DC being a truly international city and Atlanta not being quite there and so having correspondingly less cultural events. A lot really depends on what you are truly looking for in your move.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 PM

38 posts, read 115,475 times
If cheaper housing and cost of living is what you're looking for, then yes , you will find it here. I agree with Blackrabbit that everyday life in Atlanta, generally speaking, "appears" better when compared to DC. However, this assessment is only based on my living in Duluth (NE ATL) for six months and roaming around other parts of the metro area.

Where "outside" of DC do you live? Reason I ask is that ten miles outside of DC, in opposite directions, are Prince George (MD), Montgomery (MD), and Fairfax (VA) counties. As you know, the demographic makeup, cost of living, education, crime, etc. vary in these areas. If you know of an area surrounding DC that is favorable, perhaps someone on this board can suggest a comparable area in Atlanta. Also, I should add that I'm not a DC native. I have lived in and around the DC area for 10 years before moving here.

BTW, in my first six months in ATL, I have never experienced such weird weather --not in DC, MD, VA, CA, IL, or FL. ATL had gone from several 90-100+ degree days in a row in August, a drought (read: not a tear from the sky) which lasted for months, then sudden rain 10 out of the last 12 days in December. And just when I thought it was over --there was snow a couple of weeks ago!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:46 AM

14 posts, read 41,784 times
We live in Bowie, in an overly priced apartment. We've tried everything to become homeowners here, but just could not afford it. I realize the traffice and overcrowdedness will defintely remind me of the DC area. I think we will eventually (in a couple of years) end up in Charlotte (where we originally wanted to be). We just didn't have any job prospects there. But in general I just want an overall better quality of life.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:08 AM

2,642 posts, read 5,212,303 times
I'll say one thing - you're going to miss the Metro. I go to DC for work. I stay downtown and then take the red line to Takoma to go to Walter Reed. I really love DC's Metro system. I wish MARTA would expand like the Metro.

So, traffic will probably be worse here. But, if you can afford to live in the city limits of Atlanta you're not going to have to worry about traffic so much. Also, the cost of homes in the city of Atlanta is about 1/2 that in areas like downtown DC. You get a home in a good area with good school for 350-400K.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 PM

262 posts, read 461,134 times
Just curious about housing costs in DC. For areas comparable to Duluth or Suwanee in Gwinnett (25 miles from city center, reasonable schools, reasonable safety), what would comparable costs and locations be in the DC area??

Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 PM

2,875 posts, read 3,325,590 times
One advantage is that the cost of living is lower in metro ATL, at least for now. However, most places with good schools in metro ATL are extremely expensive, though not always more expensive than some areas with poor schools, since areas with good schools farther out are less expensive.

You may be better off looking at Charlotte or Asheville if you are looking for a more sane metro area. However, the fact that your husband has a job lined up here is a huge plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive
You get a home in a good area with good school for 350-400K.
Where? Not much ITP. At least not by Northeastern standards of what a good school is. There are maybe a 3br 60s home on Spring Hill Road near Teasley elementary in Vinings, and perhaps some smaller homes in North Druid Hills. Most homes ITP with good schools that can fit 3 kids generally start in the $600s from what I've seen. There may be a few exceptions, but I don't imagine there is much.

Last edited by netdragon; 02-10-2008 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta