Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 11:08 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
The overall population of refugees you'll see will match that of the demographics of the region they were fleeing. That is, roughly 50/50 split of male / female, certain percentage of children, etc.

So, part of the discrepancy comes from the mode of relocation. What's happening, is that a majority of refugees only really make it one stop. They flee, get to a camp, and settle in for the wait in an attempt to return to their country, hoping that they can go home. The United States only accepts applicants from this group; registered refugees in camps who aren't in a third country attempting to resettle. That's why you see those applying generally matching the overall refugee population.

A much smaller set will move on to a second, or third etc. country. The destination will greatly determine the make up of those moving to that place. A safer, more conventional route will see pretty standard spread. A more dangerous route (say, dingy over the Mediterranean) will typically see more young males, since they are the ones who are perceived to be able to handle the trip better. There are exceptions to that, of course, but that's typically where the worry about 'an army of fighting age men invading Europe' comes from.
Interesting and enlightening information. What are your sources? I don't mean this to sound suspicious; I simply would like to pursue this train of thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 12:45 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I'm glad to see some religious leaders are taking a stand in GA:

Georgia Clergy Protest Governor's Refugee Plans - NBC News

I can't seem to find any mention of this on the AJC site, which I find curious.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:08 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
The overall population of refugees you'll see will match that of the demographics of the region they were fleeing. That is, roughly 50/50 split of male / female, certain percentage of children, etc.

So, part of the discrepancy comes from the mode of relocation. What's happening, is that a majority of refugees only really make it one stop. They flee, get to a camp, and settle in for the wait in an attempt to return to their country, hoping that they can go home. The United States only accepts applicants from this group; registered refugees in camps who aren't in a third country attempting to resettle. That's why you see those applying generally matching the overall refugee population.

A much smaller set will move on to a second, or third etc. country. The destination will greatly determine the make up of those moving to that place. A safer, more conventional route will see pretty standard spread. A more dangerous route (say, dingy over the Mediterranean) will typically see more young males, since they are the ones who are perceived to be able to handle the trip better. There are exceptions to that, of course, but that's typically where the worry about 'an army of fighting age men invading Europe' comes from.

Even if this were true, it wouldn't make a significant discrepancy in the gender and age makeup of the refugees locating in the U.S. It might make a small difference, but not enough of one for anyone to declare that the "vast majority" of the refugees that would be coming to the US are widows and orphans. Are they going to go through and actually choose widows and orphans, or are they going to take applications as they come? I think the latter.

Whatever the situation, it's very hard to locate the truth through all of the obvious agendas. It's frustrating and I guess whatever will happen will happen. I'm certainly not able to take a hard stance either way...it's hard to understand how anyone can.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:14 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm glad to see some religious leaders are taking a stand in GA:

Georgia Clergy Protest Governor's Refugee Plans - NBC News

I can't seem to find any mention of this on the AJC site, which I find curious.

Looks to be about 5-10 of them...strange that the camera would never show the entire group - I suspect due to its small size. That report made it sound like a statewide protest, when it wasn't. That could be why the AJC didn't mention it.

I don't understand how you (or anyone) feel that you have enough valid information to pick a solid side on this issue. Maybe it will take something like what happened in Paris to open some eyes, but France has a much larger problem than we do so hopefully it won't happen.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:20 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Looks to be about 5-10 of them...strange that the camera would never show the entire group - I suspect due to its small size. That report made it sound like a statewide protest, when it wasn't. That could be why the AJC didn't mention it.

I don't understand how you (or anyone) feel that you have enough valid information to pick a solid side on this issue. Maybe it will take something like what happened in Paris to open some eyes, but France has a much larger problem than we do so hopefully it won't happen.
I have a soul. That's all I need. And if it was enough of a protest to make a national news site, I don't see why it wasn't covered at the local level.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post

It's hard for me to understand how anyone could be on the fence. You take in refugees needing shelter. It's the Christian/Jewish/Muslim/Hindu/Buddhist/Pagan thing to do.
It's the American/European/Asian/Middle Eastern thing to do.
It's the HUMAN thing to do.

Fear of what a refugee might do doesn't even enter into it for me. I am more likely to die at the hands of some pissed off citizen, just going to the grocery store or the movies here, as it is. I should be more afraid that a foreigner might do what natural-born citizens already do? And would it matter who did it? I'd still be dead, either way. I can't afford to allow that to stop me from doing the right thing, because all that would gain me is a crippling case of agoraphobia.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Most people just want to bring people in because it makes them feel worldly. I'd rather be called xenophobic than dead.
Yet you still drive a car and more likely to die from a car crash than to be killed in a terrorist attack.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:38 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,315 times
All I can do is shake my head at those agreeing to not allow any refugees into our country. But those people will build a nativity scene at their churches showing a couple from the middle east seeking shelter as an ode to the holidays. OKAY. The REAL problem lies with our government more than it does anyone else for a myriad of reasons, but that's another thread.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:33 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
It's hard for me to understand how anyone could be on the fence. You take in refugees needing shelter. It's the Christian/Jewish/Muslim/Hindu/Buddhist/Pagan thing to do.
It's the American/European/Asian/Middle Eastern thing to do.
It's the HUMAN thing to do.

Fear of what a refugee might do doesn't even enter into it for me. I am more likely to die at the hands of some pissed off citizen, just going to the grocery store or the movies here, as it is. I should be more afraid that a foreigner might do what natural-born citizens already do? And would it matter who did it? I'd still be dead, either way. I can't afford to allow that to stop me from doing the right thing, because all that would gain me is a crippling case of agoraphobia.
Love it!

Old 11-24-2015, 06:08 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Take care of the homeless and the Vets, then you might get my support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta