Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:05 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Actually I've always thought a rail based people mover makes the most sense to me, for Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and the Perimeter area. Maybe even for connecting downtown Sandy Springs with its MARTA station, but that could arguably be bus.

Something sort of like the Skytrain people mover at the airport. An aerial loop system with a handful of key stops on it. Namely, of course the MARTA stations, plus stations at the Ravinia towers, Concourse towers, all the various Cox towers, IBM and all the offices on Barfield, and finally Glenlake with the UPS HQ, Newell Rubbermaid HQ, and soon to be Mercedes HQ there as well. Then it could nicely loop back over to the North Springs station which is right there just across the highway.

For linking the under construction Sandy Springs city center area with the Sandy Springs MARTA station, I would recommend widening Mt Vernon by one lane each side, and making that a bus only lane, which does a constant, free shuttle loop service, like Atlantic Station.
This is a good idea and something that should be paid for by the businesses and retailers thru the Perimeter CID, since they will directly benefit from it.
Although, PRT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_rapid_transit) has fallen out of favor for mass transit, and besides downtown systems in Jacksonville, Detroit, Miami, and Morgantown/WVU (the most successful example of PRT in the US) none have been built in over 25 years. Metromover has been extended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
I'm talking about an Automated People Mover.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_mover

Just like all the various airport sky trains, except for the Perimeter CID. Connecting the key office towers (and some dense residential) directly with MARTA, in climate controlled rail vehicles above street level.

Vancouver's one is amazing, with 47 stations.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
They could do something like the Skytrain at Hartsfield.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I'm talking about an Automated People Mover.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_mover

Just like all the various airport sky trains, except for the Perimeter CID. Connecting the key office towers (and some dense residential) directly with MARTA, in climate controlled rail vehicles above street level.

Vancouver's one is amazing, with 47 stations.
Could work, but that will cost nearly $1B, with the elevated track covering the area suggested and maintenance facility. I like the idea of having a circulator in PC, but worry about the cost and funding for such an expensive project.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
I have a pretty good idea that Sandy Springs will come to the conclusion that there won't be enough use to justify the cost. That said, MARTA HRT is a bit set off from the more dense developments along Roosevelt.

They could start with BRT, get MARTA to dedicate a few articulated buses to the route and give them their own lanes. From there they could start work on a possible LRT / Streetcar hybrid. That would be a bit more practical than a monorail, probably better received, cost the same, if not less, and handle just as much.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I have a pretty good idea that Sandy Springs will come to the conclusion that there won't be enough use to justify the cost. That said, MARTA HRT is a bit set off from the more dense developments along Roosevelt.

They could start with BRT, get MARTA to dedicate a few articulated buses to the route and give them their own lanes. From there they could start work on a possible LRT / Streetcar hybrid. That would be a bit more practical than a monorail, probably better received, cost the same, if not less, and handle just as much.
As long as either technology had their own dedicated lane and not running in mixed traffic, it could work. No need for grade separated intersections, just priority signalization. Similar to LACMTA's Orange line.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 AM

477 posts, read 593,931 times
It'd be nice if Buckhead Atlanta and all the major players in Buckhead could implement something like this to connect South Buckhead along Peachtree from Arts Center to Buckhead MARTA. Of course it'll never happen, but it's a thought. Buckhead is an absolute nightmare at rush hour, so buses are stranded in it too. I guess it's like that almost everywhere in the dense parts of town though. I think this would be a better idea than putting a streetcar in that Peachtree traffic.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
It'd be nice if Buckhead Atlanta and all the major players in Buckhead could implement something like this to connect South Buckhead along Peachtree from Arts Center to Buckhead MARTA. Of course it'll never happen, but it's a thought. Buckhead is an absolute nightmare at rush hour, so buses are stranded in it too. I guess it's like that almost everywhere in the dense parts of town though. I think this would be a better idea than putting a streetcar in that Peachtree traffic.
Streetcars are cheaper because there is no need to aerial structures, which in that corridor the residents would never allow.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 AM

477 posts, read 593,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Streetcars are cheaper because there is no need to aerial structures, which in that corridor the residents would never allow.
Yeah, I just wish they would allow the streetcar to take up a dedicated lane on either side, but I'm sure they won't let that happen either. Especially seeing how they're fighting the bike lanes so hard.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:16 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
Yeah, I just wish they would allow the streetcar to take up a dedicated lane on either side, but I'm sure they won't let that happen either. Especially seeing how they're fighting the bike lanes so hard.
There's the planned Peachtree streetcar line that would serve Buckhead, though, as you said, we'll have to see how that goes when we get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta