Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 02:08 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
What do honestly think the city can do when it loses a lawsuit?
If the city is in the right they should stick to their guns. They have all kinds of litigation going all the time so why run for the hills because some developer might file a case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 02:40 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If the city is in the right they should stick to their guns. They have all kinds of litigation going all the time so why run for the hills because some developer might file a case?
Man, you posting just to be posting aren't you...

Old 11-29-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Man, you posting just to be posting aren't you...
Not sure what you mean.

I can understand the city folding to Fuqua at Glenwood (if they hadn't enacted the Beltline overlay prior to the application), but why at Lindbergh? That zoning had been in place for years.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:49 PM

134 posts, read 185,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Natalyn and our at-large councilmembers already know what Reynoldstown wants for the Leggett & Platt site.

At this point I'm going to wait for Fuqua's proposal to the neighborhood, before wasting my energy on further speculation. He's told us we'll like what we'll see... so we'll see.
Is there a known date for him to be presenting his proposal?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:16 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Is there a known date for him to be presenting his proposal?
He hasn't asked for time to speak at a meeting yet, but I imagine I'll find out quickly once he has. Word about Fuqua travels fast in Reynoldstown.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:11 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Fuqua got SAP approval for 800 Glenwood BEFORE there was ever a threat of a lawsuit. After the neighborhood protested, then the city retro-actively changed the zoning but by then Fuqua had every legal right to proceed with the development. At that point I almost don't blame him. The issue is that the development should never have gotten approval given its conflict with the Beltline overlay district plan.
The reason why the SAP was allowed to go through...his history of winning lawsuits against the city. After awhile there are certain developers every municipality including Atlanta has a history of always losing against although they have fought long and hard in the past. I know of 5 other area municipalities that basically have all but given up at fighting against certain developers because of their long track history with these people. They have essentially amended their zoning code to allow them to get away with anything that isn't outrageous.

This is how politics affects planning and it is why more community involvement in the Atlanta's case the NPU process and active neighborhood/community associations are essential. If the neighborhoods are aware of what is going on then they won't be blindsided by anything.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
The reason why the SAP was allowed to go through...his history of winning lawsuits against the city. After awhile there are certain developers every municipality including Atlanta has a history of always losing against although they have fought long and hard in the past.
What cases has Fuqua won against the city?

Old 12-01-2015, 06:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
The question is, why the hell is zoning around the Beltline not geared toward the Beltline? This is one of the biggest opportunities throughout the history of Atlanta...why is this not taken seriously?

Who is dropping the ball, who can I take time out of my day to bother to make sure developers don't run roughshod over our future?

Old 12-02-2015, 07:37 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,346 times
Another chance for ****ya to **** all over the BeltLine Overlay, and for the City to let him. Pathetic.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:33 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
More details are coming to light and I don't want to be overly optimistic... but it's looking good.

- Sprouts Grocery -- this is going to be a hit, I think. I know I hate driving from Reynoldstown to Midtown to get to the Ponce Whole Foods. I could walk to this Sprouts from my house.
- CinéBistro -- I've never heard of this but it sounds cool enough
- Several restaurants
- 20K sq ft fitness center
- Max retail footprint 35K sq ft, not big boxes
- Parking will be in decks hidden along I-20

More news comes from Fuqua's zoning application (he wants to rezone the industrial site to MRC3 mixed-use):

- Both residential and commercial units
- New public streets (!) divide the site into four quadrants
- Holtzclaw and Gibson Streets are extended into the development

Combine this with the previously-announced news that Fuqua wants to provide a right-of-way on his site for the future streetcar route, and I am cautiously optimistic this is going to be a win for my neighborhood and the east side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta