Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:49 PM
djw djw started this thread

951 posts, read 2,833,870 times

Advertisements

I've browsed the school thread and an older thread about this neighborhood but have found nothing that speaks to what schools serve this area.
Commute isn't an issue. More interested in lifestyle (I'm single and close to 40) and schools (he'll be in high school).
Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 PM

79 posts, read 409,161 times
Benjamin E. Mays High School is one that's nearby.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm1984 View Post
Benjamin E. Mays High School is one that's nearby.
West End/Westview is actually zoned for Washington High School. Eastern parts of the neighborhood may be zoned for Carver High or Southside High.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 AM

55 posts, read 233,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
I've browsed the school thread and an older thread about this neighborhood but have found nothing that speaks to what schools serve this area.
Commute isn't an issue. More interested in lifestyle (I'm single and close to 40) and schools (he'll be in high school).
Your thoughts?
Westview's schools are Connally Elementary School, Brown Middle School, and Washington High School. (At least those are the results I got for our address.)

Thinking about buying in the neighborhood?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 AM

145 posts, read 597,997 times
I don't know much about the schools except they are beautiful old buildings (Brown Middle & Washington High), but as far as lifestyle West End is one of the closest Atlanta neighborhoods to the City center with a Marta Station. I don't know of any other neighborhood where you can get more bang for your buck that is getting better instead of getting worse. I see so many threads about how many suburban neighborhoods (and counties) are going down, but I seems like the pendulum is swinging the other way here. Things are getting better. Different blocks are at different stages of revitalization, but as a whole, things are looking up despite the current slowing economy.

The beltline finally began construction last week on White Street and you can feel the enthusiasm in the air. 2.4 miles of a walking/Bike Path and a linear Arbortorium/Park extending the entire southern and western boarder of West End. Intown Atlanta Paper has an article about it in this Feb 2008 edition on pg 26.
Atlanta Intown Newspaper

Also on pg 10 is an article about the Peachtree Streetcar. The President of the Peachtree Corridor Partnership said "The streetcar and Beltline will be transformative for the city" and "They will dictate how the city looks, feels, and evolves." West End will be one of very few neighborhoods that will have both.

Throw in a growing art scene and this may be the type of lifestyle you like. The Metropolitan Arts District (Candler-Smith Warehouses) are one block east of the West End Marta Station has everything going on there from Ballroom dancing to furniture makers. There are even bands that record there. There is a lot to do nearby.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:22 PM
djw djw started this thread

951 posts, read 2,833,870 times
Thanks for all the info.
I have added Westview to my list of possibles, can't beat the prices and I'm very excited about the Beltline project!
I am concerned about my son being among the <1% of non-African American students. He'll already be "the new kid", and a military brat at that - is it really wise to toss in being a minority? If it was middle school I wouldn't be too concerned, but I'm already facing a challenge by moving him cross-country during his high school years!
I'd welcome any thoughts from others that have tackled this situation.
----
To Westviewbungalow - what is the youth dynamic in the neighborhood you live? And if possible please post the address for the school that showed in your search - as I've found two: Washington and Booker T. Washington with different addresses listed.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,189 times
In the past has your son been exposed to a lot of people from other races? Is he easy-going, normally popular, athletic, smart? Is he cool and calm?

See where I am going with this line of questioning? If he goes to school and just chokes up and acts like a fish out of water then he might get some flack from the other kids. But if he's a kid who adjusts easily then he should be fine.

Some people may worry about the quality of education from the schools on that side of town but from what I've heard a good education is more dependent on you and your kid then the school. Once a teacher realizes a student is an achiever the teacher will reach out. And I don't think those schools are physically dangerous.

If he's good at any sports that would help, too. And check to see if there are any clubs he'd be interested in.

Welcome to Atlanta and thank you for investing in public schools!

Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 PM

55 posts, read 233,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
Thanks for all the info.
I have added Westview to my list of possibles, can't beat the prices and I'm very excited about the Beltline project!
I am concerned about my son being among the <1% of non-African American students. He'll already be "the new kid", and a military brat at that - is it really wise to toss in being a minority? If it was middle school I wouldn't be too concerned, but I'm already facing a challenge by moving him cross-country during his high school years!
I'd welcome any thoughts from others that have tackled this situation.
----
To Westviewbungalow - what is the youth dynamic in the neighborhood you live? And if possible please post the address for the school that showed in your search - as I've found two: Washington and Booker T. Washington with different addresses listed.
djw, it's great to hear of your interest in Westview! It's a wonderful neighborhood and we love all the historic houses...and all the neighbors we've befriended along the way is of course a very cool bonus. Since moving here we've definitely noticed an increasing interest in the neighborhood and we've seen people moving in here and there on surrounding streets.

The website I previously come across to find schools based on the house address is: http://aps-schoolmap.apsk12.org - this links to the Washington High School part of the APS website (http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/wash.aspx (broken link)). The address for the school listed there is 45 Washington Dr., N.W. Atlanta, GA 30314. I hope that helps? With the above website you can enter the addresses of whichever houses you're looking at and make sure they don't change based on what side of the neighborhood you happen to be in.

Youth dynamic....hmmm. We have a lot of 70+ year old seniors, so there are a lot of older people around. I can't say I know of too many youth's. One of our neighbor friends has a college aged son (goes to GSU), other neighbor friends have a 1.5 year old, so obviously not school aged yet. The neighbors directly next to us also have a 1-1.5 year old. So to be honest I don't personally know anyone that's actually high school age. Like I said, there seem to be a lot of seniors.

Keep us posted on the progress!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,189 times
djw,

If you think you're going to be in Atlanta for a long while then I think this area is a good financial investment. It's starting to transition and prices are still low. But in 10-15 years they're going to more than double. Your son only has one more year of school then he's off to college or trade school, or the military, or whatever. So, I wouldn't worry too much about schools if the first 11 years of his education has been good.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 PM

179 posts, read 557,417 times
We're moving to West End, and we have a 1.5 year old, so I don't know much about the area's high schools (we're keeping our fingers crossed that maybe by the time our kid is ready for elementary school all of these other toddlers in the neighborhood will attend the public school), but you might also want to look into charter schools and magnet schools in Atlanta. Most of the high school kids I know through church attend them and not their assigned high schools. Many of these schools are accessible by MARTA, and West End has a MARTA station. Does your son have decent grades, special interests (math, journalism) etc.? It's always an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta