Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 01:54 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Here's an example: When I lived near Piedmont Park with 3 kids (one of whom drove) and my wife (who drove), we had to park one of our three cars on the street because there was no room in the driveway but for two cars. On pretty weekends and during festivals, you really couldn't move the car that was parked on the street because someone would inevitably park there to go to the Park. It can really be a nuisance at times.
I'm not saying that it can't be a nuisance, of course it can. I used to live in NYC and had car (), and parking in front of my house sometimes took up to 45 minutes - 1 hour. I lived by an area with a lot of shops/restaurants, and a lot of people drove even though the subway and buses were readily available. It was my choice to live there, my choice to have a car, and I had to put up with parking it. I never thought other people shouldn't have the right to park in front of my house, although there were definitely times we did car swaps to be able to save a spot close by. Alternate side parking also highly sucked, but that's how it was. Point is, again, I chose to live there, in a popular area, with a car. You chose to live by Piedmont Park, a popular area, with too many cars to fit in the driveway. Life is all about choices. I currently live in an area where on-street parking can be difficult at times. It is what it is. If I didn't want to deal with it, I wouldn't have bought my house.

I just don't understand the points some of you are making. It's legal to park on the street. You buy a house with too little parking for your needs, but choose to be upset with people parking in a legal spot in front of your house. Annoyed, fine, but couldn't you go buy a different house (which I believe you did)? Or band together with the neighborhood to change parking restrictions? I mean, quit complaining people - you live in a CITY!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 02:19 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Or band together with the neighborhood to change parking restrictions?
...and that's what neigborhoods have done--which you said neighborhoods should not be allowed to do.

Quote:
I personally think that no neighborhood should be allowed to ban parking to everybody except its residents on a public street, but what do I know.
What you know is New York, where waiting 45 minutes to an hour to park in front of your own home is normal. Not everyone wants Atlanta to be New York.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:23 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Here's an example: When I lived near Piedmont Park with 3 kids (one of whom drove) and my wife (who drove), we had to park one of our three cars on the street because there was no room in the driveway but for two cars. On pretty weekends and during festivals, you really couldn't move the car that was parked on the street because someone would inevitably park there to go to the Park. It can really be a nuisance at times.
Here's a thought: Keep the car where it is and go enjoy the park or the festival. Or, if you absolutely have to drive somewhere, you still have two cars at your disposal with dedicated off-street parking.

I've never heard of a problem with a simpler solution.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:27 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Here's a thought: Keep the car where it is and go enjoy the park or the festival. Or, if you absolutely have to drive somewhere, you still have two cars at your disposal with dedicated off-street parking.

I've never heard of a problem with a simpler solution.
You make too much sense!

Old 12-02-2015, 02:29 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
...and that's what neigborhoods have done--which you said neighborhoods should not be allowed to do.

What you know is New York, where waiting 45 minutes to an hour to park in front of your own home is normal. Not everyone wants Atlanta to be New York.
I don't think they should be allowed, but they do it and it is legal to. So, band together and do it if you think your neighborhood should. I'm not going to where I live. To your second point, I've been out of NY for a LONG time, was only there a few years. Atlanta doesn't need to be NY, but we still live in a city, and parking is getting to be difficult. My example from NY was just to illustrate my choices, and how I accepted them, and how they were much worse parking conditions than anything here. If you made a choice to buy a house with limited parking, accept your choice. This is one case where it really is as simple as that. If you don't like it, then move somewhere where parking isn't difficult. City living is convenient for a lot of things - parking isn't one of them. Weigh what is important to you before you buy a house. If parking is one of them, make sure it is addressed before you buy. Why is this even an argument?

Old 12-02-2015, 02:41 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that it can't be a nuisance, of course it can. I used to live in NYC and had car (), and parking in front of my house sometimes took up to 45 minutes - 1 hour. I lived by an area with a lot of shops/restaurants, and a lot of people drove even though the subway and buses were readily available. It was my choice to live there, my choice to have a car, and I had to put up with parking it. I never thought other people shouldn't have the right to park in front of my house, although there were definitely times we did car swaps to be able to save a spot close by. Alternate side parking also highly sucked, but that's how it was. Point is, again, I chose to live there, in a popular area, with a car. You chose to live by Piedmont Park, a popular area, with too many cars to fit in the driveway. Life is all about choices. I currently live in an area where on-street parking can be difficult at times. It is what it is. If I didn't want to deal with it, I wouldn't have bought my house.

I just don't understand the points some of you are making. It's legal to park on the street. You buy a house with too little parking for your needs, but choose to be upset with people parking in a legal spot in front of your house. Annoyed, fine, but couldn't you go buy a different house (which I believe you did)? Or band together with the neighborhood to change parking restrictions? I mean, quit complaining people - you live in a CITY!!!!
Spot on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: