U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 09:08 PM

384 posts, read 1,038,094 times

Advertisements

Were presently in Gwinnett with small children. We've lived in GA for four years.. Ive always understood and seen Stone Mountain area to be an area not as desirable as others. Speaking more or less about safety, crime, home values, etc.

Is this still the case? Found a fantastic home with lots of land but i still feel reluctant to give it a look. Worried about schools for my children, safety, etc.. The home is south of the park, off of Rockbridge.

Any input? Thanks!

Last edited by MarketingGuy; 11-29-2015 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 09:31 PM

579 posts, read 1,165,864 times
There are some nice homes in the Stone Mountain area I just don't like living in that part of Dekalb County. That area has no major shopping district or area around there. It relies a lot of Memorial Drive which offers much of anything for me.

I've attach a link to Dekalb's county crime map CrimeMapping.com - National Map. You can check out the crime trends over the last six months for that area of the county.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:27 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,280,517 times
It depends on where and if you are planning on depending on the public schools.

If you are right across the border sandwiched between Tucker and Stone Mountain, that is actually a nice area called Smokerise. The homes are generally on larger and more hilly lots. This was Dekalb's "rural estate" area. There is some affluence there. The public schools in the area are still an issue though.

The basic problem is there are TONS of aging apartment complexes along Memorial Dr, around Clarkston, around Stone Mountain City. They are some of the lowest rents around. These apartments bring many kids from a lower socio-economic background affecting the schools. The neighborhoods and the homes themselves can be nice and quiet, but the retail area and the schools and overall wealth of the area are heavily affected.

There are some nice neighborhoods further South along the Gwinnett border north of Lithonia. There are areas far from the apartments, large lots, quiet neighborhoods like Water's Edge. Now this area is mostly all black and non-diverse, which makes some uncomfortable, but I find the area to be rather quiet. Go any further south or west the home prices just drop off and the socio-economic characteristics of the area plummet. The problem is the schools are particularly bad and this area isn't as stable as Smokerise.

There are also some places that are in a Stone Mountain -zip code-, but are in Gwinnett County. Most of those areas are nice. There are a few areas on the southern stretch of that area that not as nice.

In short... if you are looking for public schools... start with the schools first and then find a home in that area. Your best bet is on the Gwinnett side in most cases.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:20 PM

444 posts, read 783,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
It depends on where and if you are planning on depending on the public schools.

If you are right across the border sandwiched between Tucker and Stone Mountain, that is actually a nice area called Smokerise. The homes are generally on larger and more hilly lots. This was Dekalb's "rural estate" area. There is some affluence there. The public schools in the area are still an issue though.

The basic problem is there are TONS of aging apartment complexes along Memorial Dr, around Clarkston, around Stone Mountain City. They are some of the lowest rents around. These apartments bring many kids from a lower socio-economic background affecting the schools. The neighborhoods and the homes themselves can be nice and quiet, but the retail area and the schools and overall wealth of the area are heavily affected.

There are some nice neighborhoods further South along the Gwinnett border north of Lithonia. There are areas far from the apartments, large lots, quiet neighborhoods like Water's Edge. Now this area is mostly all black and non-diverse, which makes some uncomfortable, but I find the area to be rather quiet. Go any further south or west the home prices just drop off and the socio-economic characteristics of the area plummet. The problem is the schools are particularly bad and this area isn't as stable as Smokerise.

There are also some places that are in a Stone Mountain -zip code-, but are in Gwinnett County. Most of those areas are nice. There are a few areas on the southern stretch of that area that not as nice.

In short... if you are looking for public schools... start with the schools first and then find a home in that area. Your best bet is on the Gwinnett side in most cases.
Actually, the Water's Edge community is more diverse than people give it credit for being. While it is mostly African American, it has a slowly increasing white population. The racial diversity is definitely noticeable at the neighborhood Publix!!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:34 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,020,898 times
Used to live in Tucker in 1983. I used to ride my 10 speed from Idelwild road, past the Northern Telecom (remember them?) depot on to South Hairston and down East Ponce De Leon into the park, around a couple of times and then head home. NO trouble.

10 years later, there were drive-by shootings GALORE....the area went from quiet pristine to ghetto within 10 years. Just spit-balling here but, things in College Park haven't improved much since it went to hell in the 80's. Same with Clayton County. Forecast for Stone Mountain???? More of the same...if not worse.

No, it's probably NOT a wise place to move unless you have no options. Tragic too because 30 years ago it was beautiful. The neighborhoods are still nice in some areas but, it's crime ridden throughout DUI (memorial ) drive.

Go further East or North or if you have to be in that area, try Tucker. Tucker still has some nice parts to it. All schools in the area suffer though so keep that in consideration. It's East or North or move away.

Beautiful park now ready for freaknick and that's about it.....reminds me of the movie, "Don't be a Menace to Society while Drinking your Juice in the Hood".....nuff' said.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:36 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,816,176 times
Smoke Rise elementary, though, is really struggling. For a while, the community had rallied around the school, but I know recently that has changed.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:04 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,081,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Smoke Rise elementary, though, is really struggling. For a while, the community had rallied around the school, but I know recently that has changed.
Really, hmm, thanks for that info. Can you elaborate some on this? We had friends that moved to the area about 12 years or so ago and I remember the struggle they had regarding the elementary school there. Their kids are out of elementary at this point.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:20 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,816,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Really, hmm, thanks for that info. Can you elaborate some on this? We had friends that moved to the area about 12 years or so ago and I remember the struggle they had regarding the elementary school there. Their kids are out of elementary at this point.
Essentially, in DeKalb, if a school doesn't have a strong principal, the school doesn't really have a chance. Because of the dysfunction and brokeness of the DeKalb school system, it takes a really top notch, secure, school based leader to navigate a school to success in DeKalb.

My sense is that Smoke Rise doesn't have this, lots of parents have left (or not started) in the last few years.

A few years ago, there was internal struggles among the parents who had different definitions of what a successful school would look like.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:40 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,081,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Essentially, in DeKalb, if a school doesn't have a strong principal, the school doesn't really have a chance. Because of the dysfunction and brokeness of the DeKalb school system, it takes a really top notch, secure, school based leader to navigate a school to success in DeKalb.

My sense is that Smoke Rise doesn't have this, lots of parents have left (or not started) in the last few years.

A few years ago, there was internal struggles among the parents who had different definitions of what a successful school would look like.
Thanks

Old 12-01-2015, 07:21 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,280,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Actually, the Water's Edge community is more diverse than people give it credit for being. While it is mostly African American, it has a slowly increasing white population. The racial diversity is definitely noticeable at the neighborhood Publix!!
Good to know, but I actually looked this up out of curiosity when I was typing this originally.

Census Block Group 023316-1 in Dekalb County, Georgia

I think Water's edge neighborhood has a ways to go. With a $93k Median Household Income and lake front home lots, it sure is a nice neighborhood.

Now right across the the Gwinnett County line things get interesting. Census Block Group 050416-1 in Gwinnett County, Georgia

That is very close to that publix and Water's Edge too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or