Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:00 AM

994 posts, read 1,531,809 times

Advertisements

ATLWarrior,

I am glad it's worked out for you. It sounds like you had some provisions working in your favor, plus with the VA guidelines -a likely win for sure. That is something to consider - ensuring you buy in the authorized historic zone rather than just in the general neighborhood. Likely comes at a higher price point with lower inventory, but could be worth it for some in reducing potential risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 12:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 5,385,001 times
I have seen some instances where the flippers get a general repair permit and then renovate the whole house. That's not the correct permit for a job of that size.

It takes a lot of effort from the neighborhood to try and stop the flippers and ensure things get properly permitted.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,739,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I have seen some instances where the flippers get a general repair permit and then renovate the whole house. That's not the correct permit for a job of that size.

It takes a lot of effort from the neighborhood to try and stop the flippers and ensure things get properly permitted.
Just wanted to note that I agree with this. I worked for a company that did a lot of re-habbing of homes in Atlanta, many on structures that had already had a re-hab started under a general permit only to have to fix all the work they did outside of the permit (especially electrical stuff) that was done incorrectly.

Always make sure you get a well regarded inspector and an in depth inspection in Atlanta. Also, general contractors were not required to be licensed until I believe 2007 or so, maybe later than that and so some random guys without training or know-how did a lot of work on homes my company had to do over again.

I personally believe the city and other county/municipal governments in metro Atlanta really drop the ball on consumers in regards to this. Mostly because they want to be seen as "easier" and more business friendly than other permit/bureaucratic heavy locations when it comes to construction work. Where I live now, you cannot get utilities turn on in a home without an appropriate sign off by the local government inspector/permitting office and if they do a permit search and see work that has been done without permit, they will make you pull a new permit and pay a fine and if its not done correctly, to do it again. I have seen a lot of friends in GA who have been shiested by bad work on homes or a poor inspection and finding out they need to spend tens of thousands of dollars on work to make their home safe after the closing.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:44 PM

106 posts, read 235,263 times
Is the Cascade Road area near Orlando St and Avon St near the JA Park ok to invest in? Is this area considered West End or Cascade Heights?

What does the future outlook for this area? Its near Oakland City and West End MARTA stations and there seems to be several homes being renovated out there but i am not too familiar with the area.

Thoughts?

Last edited by dgreen; 03-03-2016 at 07:19 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 06:50 PM

4,760 posts, read 5,385,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
Is the Cascade Road area near Orlando St and Avon St near the JA Park ok to invest in?

What does the future outlook for this area? Its near Oakland City and West End MARTA stations and there seems to be several homes being renovated out there but i am not too familiar with the area.

Thoughts?
Please make sure its a quality renovation and not just a flip for a quick profit.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:50 AM

787 posts, read 961,972 times
My budget is only 150k, I looked at the last two, Beecher St is just a bad layout & looks shotty, Linda Way has barely any closest space with a door leading to outside in the bedroom we don't like that.

Last edited by Larry X; 03-04-2016 at 04:16 AM..

Old 03-04-2016, 03:57 AM

I've come across another possible, this one is off Beecher but past Westview boundary near Beecher Hills elementary school. Comes in under budget at only $138k, 1500sqft, open floor, brick, and cement slab! And it's walking distance from a Beltline connector!

2200 Bolling Brook Dr Sw, Atlanta, GA 30311 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 03-04-2016, 01:44 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,169,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
I've come across another possible, this one is off Beecher but past Westview boundary near Beecher Hills elementary school. Comes in under budget at only $138k, 1500sqft, open floor, brick, and cement slab! And it's walking distance from a Beltline connector!

2200 Bolling Brook Dr Sw, Atlanta, GA 30311 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Honestly it's a great location, and only going to get better over the years. That house is going to literally double in value within a few decades. Or more.

Close to a very large park there. Close to Downtown, close to the airport, and close to park&ride MARTA station at West Lake.

Cascade area is such a steal and a great long-term investment. What a steal.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Got into a bidding war between three others, my offer was accepted at $151,100, I probably went a little high but my wife and I really wanted this home.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:57 AM

371 posts, read 453,602 times
Quote:
Got into a bidding war between three others, my offer was accepted at $151,100, I probably went a little high but my wife and I really wanted this home.
That just goes to show how hot that area is getting! Still a great price for a beautiful detached home, in town, close to Beltline, etc. Congrats on having the winning offer!

Keep us updated throughout the rest of the process!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta