U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:09 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,238,370 times

Advertisements

Income disparity and transportation are related. If someone can only afford to live in X area, can't afford a car and it takes them Y hours to get to work, then they are more likely to spend a % of their income on transportation, which means they cannot afford healthy food options, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 AM

994 posts, read 1,113,168 times
Clearly, transportation is the clear major issue that dramatically impacts most in Metro Atlanta. Transportation affects where and how people live, and which choices they entertain, from jobs and homes to schools (in some cases) and lifestyle (some families with children become single-earner households because of the toll, due in part to commuting (which could add an extra two hours per day per parent), that two work-outside-the-home parents would take on their kids' activities, enjoyment of life and general parental involvement).

Another factor is economic mobility. While Metro Atlanta continues to attract transplants, it seems like a good percentage of people have a hard time getting ahead. Salaries in Atlanta don't seem entirely comparable even to other growing, mid-sized cities like Charlotte, Nashville and the like.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:21 AM

28,185 posts, read 24,748,296 times
Why are 3/4 of the white folks gloomy about the future?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:46 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,161,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I actually read something about this not long ago, but I can't remember the source. Basically, the argument was that white people, overall, have been privileged for a long time. They have a higher baseline for success and what they are able to accomplish given the social circumstances, so have higher standards that need to be met in order to consider themselves happy about their lives. Minorities have been stomped down so many times over the years in this country that their baseline for what they expect to accomplish in life is lower. This isn't because they think they aren't capable of doing something, but rather, they know that they have been discriminated against, and it is harder for them to accomplish the same things as white people. Even among white people, the baseline is higher for white heterosexual males than any other group of white people. It's a psychological issue. Hence, most suicides are white people, I believe.

I have actually traveled abroad quite a bit to developing nations and it's not so different there. People in poverty tended to be happier when they accomplish small things because they have accepted their lives of poverty, and that social norms keep them from accomplishing the same things as wealthier people. Wealthier or privileged people were often less happy overall because they expected to accomplish too much.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:47 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,238,370 times
Quote:

White privileged

Old 12-01-2015, 08:50 AM

7,713 posts, read 9,573,524 times
Quote:
I think it's just because we're smarter and more aware of reality.

LOL, that's just a joke troll post!!!!!!

I'm not sure the real reason why.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:27 AM
bu2

9,015 posts, read 5,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think it's just because we're smarter and more aware of reality.

LOL, that's just a joke troll post!!!!!!

I'm not sure the real reason why.
Study out recently showing that there has been a dramatic increase in death rates for whites 45-54 years old. It is primarily among those w/o a college education. They think it has to do with drugs and suicide. Every other group continues to improve their mortality rates.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 AM

7,713 posts, read 9,573,524 times
That's interesting.

I'm sure we could post studies all day showing all kinds of things. White men pretty much have monopolies on serial killing and domestic terrorism. But since we can't do that without expecting statistics on which groups own categories like murder, assault, and dropping out of school to crop up, probably best that we keep them all at bay.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:40 AM

3,748 posts, read 2,359,377 times
Quote:
Well a lot of them have the absurd notion that because America's diversity is increasing that means they are "losing" or having their country taken over. I say this as a white person.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:05 PM

4,966 posts, read 4,011,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Well a lot of them have the absurd notion that because America's diversity is increasing that means they are "losing" or having their country taken over. I say this as a white person.
Pretty much this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or