U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2015, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
6,370 posts, read 4,522,982 times
Reputation: 2575

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Too many local governments and hidden racism.
When I moved here this was my biggest issue, Multiple Governments and that many places in the metro still use GAS are their only option for heating and cooking like its 1946. Now after 8 years my biggest issue is Cobb County and their attitude toward the rest of the metro (Atlanta, Clayton and Dekalb). I think either the blacks are not running for office in Cobb or they are not voting in Cobb, because Cobb seems to have tons of blacks but the government doesnt match like in Clayton, Fulton and Dekalb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2015, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,588,332 times
Reputation: 4778
The traffic, I was planning to move to the ATL but the traffic drives me crazy so I stayed in Nashville. I really love the Atlanta thou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
The traffic, I was planning to move to the ATL but the traffic drives me crazy so I stayed in Nashville. I really love the Atlanta thou.
Unlike Nashville, Atlanta offers a reliable transit system in the form of MARTA that has rail lines serving the top 5 employment centers of the metro; Airport, Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, and Perimeter Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 12:30 PM
 
445 posts, read 356,216 times
Reputation: 276
Yes but it no longer has any honky-tonks: Southern Comfort R.I.P. | News | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Nashville has like 20 in two blocks.

I think UKWildcat's got the better end of it, myself. But I do enjoy the ethereal sound of a pedal steel guitar more than most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 02:18 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,108,328 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
When I moved here this was my biggest issue, Multiple Governments and that many places in the metro still use GAS are their only option for heating and cooking like its 1946. Now after 8 years my biggest issue is Cobb County and their attitude toward the rest of the metro (Atlanta, Clayton and Dekalb). I think either the blacks are not running for office in Cobb or they are not voting in Cobb, because Cobb seems to have tons of blacks but the government doesnt match like in Clayton, Fulton and Dekalb.
Powder Springs just elected a black mayor, apparently the first in Cobb County. Kennesaw just elected two black council members, a first for the city as well. There may be others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 02:20 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,108,328 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Unlike Nashville, Atlanta offers a reliable transit system in the form of MARTA that has rail lines serving the top 5 employment centers of the metro; Airport, Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, and Perimeter Center.
Which doesn't count for much, since five million Metro Atlanta residents don't live in the city proper, and many within that number are not serviced adequately by mass transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
When I moved here this was my biggest issue, Multiple Governments and that many places in the metro still use GAS are their only option for heating and cooking like its 1946. Now after 8 years my biggest issue is Cobb County and their attitude toward the rest of the metro (Atlanta, Clayton and Dekalb). I think either the blacks are not running for office in Cobb or they are not voting in Cobb, because Cobb seems to have tons of blacks but the government doesnt match like in Clayton, Fulton and Dekalb.
Issues arise when governments make presenting an ID a requirement to vote and then transportation to polling places, especially areas as car dependent as Cobb County. This makes it harder for lower income people to get out and vote, which unfortunately are mostly minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Which doesn't count for much, since five million Metro Atlanta residents don't live in the city proper, and many within that number are not serviced adequately by mass transit.
I think having those areas connected directly to the world's busiest airport counts for a lot, which could be why Perimeter Center is beating Cumberland when it comes to edge cities.
If the residents and voters of counties outside of MARTA want to make a change, then they need to start with their county commissioners, Clayton County did and now they have reliable bus service and eventually rail-based transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 02:27 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,108,328 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I think having those areas connected directly to the world's busiest airport counts for a lot, which could be why Perimeter Center is beating Cumberland when it comes to edge cities.
If the residents and voters of counties outside of MARTA want to make a change, then they need to start with their county commissioners, Clayton County did and now they have reliable bus service and eventually rail-based transit.
Where does the apparent prevailing idea that Cobb County residents in the 21st century don't support other transit options, including or beyond Marta? It seems like there are some outdated, grandfathered notions on this forum about the so-called Cobb County group think.

Nonetheless, most people I know who live in Cobb would WELCOME rail service with open arms, even if it required a slight uptick in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Where does the apparent prevailing idea that Cobb County residents in the 21st century don't support other transit options, including or beyond Marta? It seems like there are some outdated, grandfathered notions on this forum about the so-called Cobb County group think.

Nonetheless, most people I know who live in Cobb would WELCOME rail service with open arms, even if it required a slight uptick in taxes.
First I never said ALL residents do not support it, I made the suggestion that the residents that want to see rail need to encourage their county commissioners to support a MARTA sales tax vote. That would be a step in getting rail to Cobb County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top