Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:46 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times

Advertisements

I was just on YouTube and Came across this video in 1987 a special Oprah winfrey did on that county. Till this day I really can't understand the hate some whites had for blacks.

http://youtu.be/WErjPmFulQ0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 11:03 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I've only been to Forsyth County one time, and it was technically the "Alpharetta" part. I was only there for a job interview. All I know is what happened in the 1980s with the race issue, and that I know more and more people are choosing to move to Forsyth County. Interestingly, I've never known any Black people to move to Forsyth County.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:28 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've only been to Forsyth County one time, and it was technically the "Alpharetta" part. I was only there for a job interview. All I know is what happened in the 1980s with the race issue, and that I know more and more people are choosing to move to Forsyth County. Interestingly, I've never known any Black people to move to Forsyth County.

Yeah...I've noticed that too. I wonder if there is a reason behind it or if it is just coincidence.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Yeah...I've noticed that too. I wonder if there is a reason behind it or if it is just coincidence.
Well, for what it's worth, I'm Black. I've spent a large part of my childhood in metro Atlanta. Everything I heard never made me want to go to Forsyth County. In fact, it made me want to stay away, recently as 2012.

For that reason, it made me wonder why more people(except Blacks ) wanted to move there. I know people who have moved there, mostly people who have children.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:12 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
We have about 15 houses on our street here in Forsyth. Three are owned by African American families. Given the horridness of that Oprah show, 3 out of 15 is pretty good now!

Old 12-09-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Well, for what it's worth, I'm Black. I've spent a large part of my childhood in metro Atlanta. Everything I heard never made me want to go to Forsyth County. In fact, it made me want to stay away, recently as 2012.

For that reason, it made me wonder why more people(except Blacks ) wanted to move there. I know people who have moved there, mostly people who have children.

Man...I like that personal perspective. It's hard to find that on-line. I remember just the other day looking up Forsyth County on Wikipedia (yes, I know Wikipedia isn't the best for reliable information all the time), and I was shocked how much of the page was spent discussing Forsyth's racist past and how it extended into the 80's. It certainly made me think twice about moving there.

I really do believe you. I'm curious to know of any personal experiences. The demographics are interesting. I'd have to do real research though as to how much the Asian and Hispanic population is increasing there. Anyway, to get into that would be a sociological discussion and divert from the thread. But if the population for Hispanics and Asians is increasing in Forsyth, I find it curious that they don't have the same fear that black people have towards moving there. It definitely says something...

Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
We have about 15 houses on our street here in Forsyth. Three are owned by African American families. Given the horridness of that Oprah show, 3 out of 15 is pretty good now!
The show was 30 years ago. Perhaps things have changed. On the other hand, I have never been there, other than for an interview, and I was a hop from Fulton County.

I have spent alot of time in Paulding County. I have a better idea of what that area is like. Not fond of that area .

Old 12-09-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Man...I like that personal perspective. It's hard to find that on-line. I remember just the other day looking up Forsyth County on Wikipedia (yes, I know Wikipedia isn't the best for reliable information all the time), and I was shocked how much of the page was spent discussing Forsyth's racist past and how it extended into the 80's. It certainly made me think twice about moving there.

I really do believe you. I'm curious to know of any personal experiences. The demographics are interesting. I'd have to do real research though as to how much the Asian and Hispanic population is increasing there. Anyway, to get into that would be a sociological discussion and divert from the thread. But if the population for Hispanics and Asians is increasing in Forsyth, I find it curious that they don't have the same fear that black people have towards moving there. It definitely says something...
I was just coming from what I know. I too looked up Forsyth County. I read a National Geography article about Atlanta, which is from July 1988. It did mention that a Klan rally was held "in rural Forsyth admittedly". I though little of it until I read the wikipedia article. This, and there are people who seem to talk down on Forsyth County. Interestingly, the main people I've heard talk down on Forsyth County were mainly Whites. One man told me about as late as 1996, there was a sign somewhere in the county stating that Blacks shouldn't be there after the sun goes down. Now, I never personal saw the sign, so I don't know for fact. However, much of what I've heard has not enticed me to go there.

FWIW, I'm in Paulding County at the moment(living with parents for now). I'm there until I save up so money to move to a place more of my liking. I like being closer in to the city, closer to the 285 Perimeter(particularly the northern section of it. I like having things nearby, or at least within reasonable distance. For that reason, Forsyth County does not fit for me anyway.

Forsyth has not attracted many Blacks at all. Considering that Atlanta metro has seen alot of Blacks move to the area, sometimes I wonder why. At one time, the areas with the fastest growing Black populations were towards the south part of the metro, and parts of DeKalb County. Now, the growth is westward, towards Douglas County, and even Paulding County. I do find it ironic considering that I still see people flying Confederate flags on some occasions in those areas. I hardly ever seen in most parts of Cobb, Fulton, or DeKalb.

I do notice that some Hispanics have moved to Forsyth County. Actually, I notice that alot of Hispanics have moved everywhere in metro Atlanta. It leaves something to wonder if Blacks fear moving to Forsyth County. Occasionally, there is part of me that wonders if some people move to Forsyth County because they know alot of Blacks don't want to move there. I started thinking about it when I read a thread from a long time ago. It mentioned that when Forsyth County developed a bad reputation for racism, it suddenly became one of the fastest growing counties in the nation. It is currently Georgia's second fastest growing. It also mentioned that many who moved there might have been motivated by a desire to get away from Blacks. Obviously, not everyone thinks like that. However,it is something that does cross my mind.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I was just coming from what I know. I too looked up Forsyth County. I read a National Geography article about Atlanta, which is from July 1988. It did mention that a Klan rally was held "in rural Forsyth admittedly". I though little of it until I read the wikipedia article. This, and there are people who seem to talk down on Forsyth County. Interestingly, the main people I've heard talk down on Forsyth County were mainly Whites. One man told me about as late as 1996, there was a sign somewhere in the county stating that Blacks shouldn't be there after the sun goes down. Now, I never personal saw the sign, so I don't know for fact. However, much of what I've heard has not enticed me to go there.

FWIW, I'm in Paulding County at the moment(living with parents for now). I'm there until I save up so money to move to a place more of my liking. I like being closer in to the city, closer to the 285 Perimeter(particularly the northern section of it. I like having things nearby, or at least within reasonable distance. For that reason, Forsyth County does not fit for me anyway.

Forsyth has not attracted many Blacks at all. Considering that Atlanta metro has seen alot of Blacks move to the area, sometimes I wonder why. At one time, the areas with the fastest growing Black populations were towards the south part of the metro, and parts of DeKalb County. Now, the growth is westward, towards Douglas County, and even Paulding County. I do find it ironic considering that I still see people flying Confederate flags on some occasions in those areas. I hardly ever seen in most parts of Cobb, Fulton, or DeKalb.

I do notice that some Hispanics have moved to Forsyth County. Actually, I notice that alot of Hispanics have moved everywhere in metro Atlanta. It leaves something to wonder if Blacks fear moving to Forsyth County. Occasionally, there is part of me that wonders if some people move to Forsyth County because they know alot of Blacks don't want to move there. I started thinking about it when I read a thread from a long time ago. It mentioned that when Forsyth County developed a bad reputation for racism, it suddenly became one of the fastest growing counties in the nation. It is currently Georgia's second fastest growing. It also mentioned that many who moved there might have been motivated by a desire to get away from Blacks. Obviously, not everyone thinks like that. However,it is something that does cross my mind.
Well just a few days ago, I had some people who were interested in moving to the North Cobb/South Cherokee area but were open to areas nearby and someone mentioned Forsyth, specifically Cummings. Or is it Cumming? Whatever anyway lol I thought no because of the traffic (the 400). But just so that they could have it as an option, I looked up Forsyth and when I saw what I saw, I had to let them know.

Okay so embarrassingly, I had to look at a map just to make sure I knew where Paulding and Douglas counties are. I didn't know that about those counties. And that's what I find interesting is that I remember when Gwinnett was very much just white people and North Cobb the same and how their demographics have diversified. The same can't be said for Forsyth though.

As for your last paragraph, I feel Hispanics and Asians may be more inclined to move to counties like Forsyth because they simply will not experience the same racism that black people experience and they know this. I don't want to minimize, however, what Hispanics go through. I think that that fear black people may have is real. It's not even so simple as the klu klux klan paying you a visit. It's the educational system, justice system, etc., that must be considered because they have powerful means of suppressing people.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I love learning different things about society.

P.S.-Good luck on your move. I hope you find what you want.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:18 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Well just a few days ago, I had some people who were interested in moving to the North Cobb/South Cherokee area but were open to areas nearby and someone mentioned Forsyth, specifically Cummings. Or is it Cumming? Whatever anyway lol I thought no because of the traffic (the 400). But just so that they could have it as an option, I looked up Forsyth and when I saw what I saw, I had to let them know.

Okay so embarrassingly, I had to look at a map just to make sure I knew where Paulding and Douglas counties are. I didn't know that about those counties. And that's what I find interesting is that I remember when Gwinnett was very much just white people and North Cobb the same and how their demographics have diversified. The same can't be said for Forsyth though.

As for your last paragraph, I feel Hispanics and Asians may be more inclined to move to counties like Forsyth because they simply will not experience the same racism that black people experience and they know this. I don't want to minimize, however, what Hispanics go through. I think that that fear black people may have is real. It's not even so simple as the klu klux klan paying you a visit. It's the educational system, justice system, etc., that must be considered because they have powerful means of suppressing people.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I love learning different things about society.

P.S.-Good luck on your move. I hope you find what you want.
Everything I have heard is that the place has changed just as dramatically as Gwinnett in the last 25 years. Its a very different place with a lot of people who live there who know nothing of the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta