U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:21 AM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times

Advertisements

Atlanta approves Streetcar expansion plan | Route 666

Interesting here....

I have a couple of questions.

If this is approved, it will add a penny to Fulton County sales tax. That means that the tax rate in most of Fulton county will be 8%, but it will be 9% in the city of Atlanta. Is Atlanta ready to have a sales tax that is higher than that of New York city, Los Angeles, and San Francisco?

Does this stand a chance of passing? Why would residents of North Fulton add a penny sales tax to something that won't benefit them very much, if at all? Why isn't this a city project instead of a county project? Seems to make more sense for Atlanta to take this on than Fulton county.

Why is the tax a full penny? MARTA's tax is a penny, and that funds heavy rail. I would want more bang for my buck...if I'm going to pay an extra 1% on everything, then I think that should buy something a little better than a streetcar that has to share the road. Seems like the return on a penny investment into MARTA is a much better bang for the buck than a penny investment into a streetcar.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 09:30 AM

985 posts, read 1,429,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Interesting here....

If this is approved, it will add a penny to Fulton County sales tax. That means that the tax rate in most of Fulton county will be 8%, but it will be 9% in the city of Atlanta. Is Atlanta ready to have a sales tax that is higher than that of New York city, Los Angeles, and San Francisco?

Does this stand a chance of passing? Why would residents of North Fulton add a penny sales tax to something that won't benefit them very much, if at all? Why isn't this a city project instead of a county project? Seems to make more sense for Atlanta to take this on than Fulton county.

Why is the tax a full penny? MARTA's tax is a penny, and that funds heavy rail. I would want more bang for my buck...if I'm going to pay an extra 1% on everything, then I think that should buy something a little better than a streetcar that has to share the road. Seems like the return on a penny investment into MARTA is a much better bang for the buck than a penny investment into a streetcar.

Thoughts?
As a city residence I'm willing to pay the extra penny sales tax, who cares what NYC, LA and SF has, we are light years behind them in transportation and they receive state support as well.

This passing depends on the details of the transportation referendum, the streetcar approval will be a part of a host of other county initiatives, not just Atlanta.

See above, this penny tax will be a part of the heavy rail expansion to Windward Parkway and the Emory line amongst other county wide transportation projects, which will include roads for sure.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Interesting here....

Thoughts?
1) Atlanta's MOST sewer tax is set to expire in 2016. So it could in theory stay the same. Also, many rural counties have higher sales taxes than Atlanta. Birmingham has 10%. Birmingham, AL Sales Tax Rate
2) Atlanta's portion could be directed towards Beltline/Streetcar expansion.
3) MARTA's 1% pays for rail and bus. If the citizens of Atlanta want thir percentage of the .5% sales to go towards streetcar/beltline expansion, then citizens from other jurisdictions should have no say so.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:01 AM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
Oh, I see, this is part of the larger 1% increase we've been talking about for some time...I thought this was something entirely new.

Is this the same thing that requires unanimous support from all the mayors in the jurisdiction? Support that seems highly unlikely?

Old 12-11-2015, 10:20 AM

28,101 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Stick it on the beneficiary, which in this case is big business.

They can easily build it into their business model. As I have mentioned in the past, Class A office rents here are way below what they are in comparable cities, so just bump them up a couple of bucks per square foot and dedicate that money to transportation. That will generate billions.

The individual taxpayer is already loaded up.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:45 PM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
1) Atlanta's MOST sewer tax is set to expire in 2016. So it could in theory stay the same. Also, many rural counties have higher sales taxes than Atlanta. Birmingham has 10%. Birmingham, AL Sales Tax Rate
2) Atlanta's portion could be directed towards Beltline/Streetcar expansion.
3) MARTA's 1% pays for rail and bus. If the citizens of Atlanta want thir percentage of the .5% sales to go towards streetcar/beltline expansion, then citizens from other jurisdictions should have no say so.

Kind of hypocritical to say everyone should join but suddenly Atlanta gets to do what they want with their share.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:47 AM

362 posts, read 291,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
[/b][/i]

Kind of hypocritical to say everyone should join but suddenly Atlanta gets to do what they want with their share.
I dunno, if there isn't guarantee of extension of the streetcar to the eastside and westside beltline trails. I would be very likely to vote no on any sales tax increase as a resident of Atlanta. The longer the streetcar sits in its current state the more ammo anti-transit have to oppose streetcars/transit in general.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:30 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,374,197 times
This is the TSPLOST we were looking for!

Like that idea Arjay. Wonder if the chamber would change their support if this idea was floated.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:59 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,975,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Stick it on the beneficiary, which in this case is big business.

They can easily build it into their business model. As I have mentioned in the past, Class A office rents here are way below what they are in comparable cities, so just bump them up a couple of bucks per square foot and dedicate that money to transportation. That will generate billions.

The individual taxpayer is already loaded up.
I agree completely; however, the model in Georgia is to give business a free lunch and pass the bunch to the middle class. Oh wait. That's the approach countrywide. As a resident of COA, I would not vote to increase taces for transpo. Education or housing for homeless, yes, transpo, no.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:35 PM

4,994 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I agree completely; however, the model in Georgia is to give business a free lunch and pass the bunch to the middle class. Oh wait. That's the approach countrywide. As a resident of COA, I would not vote to increase taces for transpo. Education or housing for homeless, yes, transpo, no.
Why single out transportation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or