Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 02:40 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernBornGent View Post
I'd hate to see the other 14 places then.
Kvetching about traffic is a popular pastime in Atlanta and it's egged on by the media at every opportunity. Turn on the news and listen to these "traffic copter" characters and you'd think Armageddon was approaching.

The reality is far different. The vast majority of time you can zip around in the ATL with little or no delay. Even our rush hours are not that bad unless you venture out onto one of the superslabs or get on a clogged arterial like North Druid hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 03:44 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Kvetching about traffic is a popular pastime in Atlanta and it's egged on by the media at every opportunity. Turn on the news and listen to these "traffic copter" characters and you'd think Armageddon was approaching.

The reality is far different. The vast majority of time you can zip around in the ATL with little or no delay. Even our rush hours are not that bad unless you venture out onto one of the superslabs or get on a clogged arterial like North Druid hills.
Just because you tell a lie enough times doesn't mean people will believe it!

Maybe its that way in John's Creek or wherever you live. Sure not that way in DeKalb County or Buckhead.

Clogged arterials-Clairmont, Clifton, Houston Mill, Briarcliff, Cheshire Bridge, Piedmont, Peachtree, DeKalb Industrial, Scott St., Ponce de Leon, North Avenue, North Decatur, North Druid Hills, La Vista/Lindberg, Chamblee Tucker, Buford Highway. Can't think of any exceptions in the northeast part of town.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfromJAX View Post
Hmmm...confirmed my suspicions about all the people that WHINE about Atlanta traffic!

Used GPS data to analyze traffic flow:
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ongestion.html

Almost everyone that complains about Atlanta traffic has never lived or driven in a major city. I lived on the West Coast and travel quite a bit.

These other cities are WORSE:
LA - 405 from 7am til 8pm is a parking lot every weekday.
SF Bay Area - 101 and all bridges from East Bay to San Fran and Silicon Valley are parking lots during rush hour. Bay Bridge and 101 into San Fran jammed on weekends.
NYC - Holland Tunnel is ridiculous at all times
Seattle - 405 at 90 by Bellevue and Redmond during rush hour is a parking lot
Austin, TX - only 1 highway (I-35) that hasn't keep up with growth, backs up going downtown even on weekends

At least in ATL I know all the side roads and back ways in-town.

Darn, and we always try to be number 1 at everything.....

Old 12-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Clogged arterials-Clairmont, Clifton, Houston Mill, Briarcliff, Cheshire Bridge, Piedmont, Peachtree, DeKalb Industrial, Scott St., Ponce de Leon, North Avenue, North Decatur, North Druid Hills, La Vista/Lindberg, Chamblee Tucker, Buford Highway. Can't think of any exceptions in the northeast part of town.
Yep, all of those roads are subject to some delays at peak hours. However, you can otherwise generally zip right along.

I am genuinely baffled by complaints that Atlanta traffic is a "nightmare." I can almost always make local shopping, errand and dining trips in 10 minutes. Commutes to and from the office are routinely 20 minutes.

It's possible that I've just gotten really good at knowing when to travel and what the best routes are. I'm also not concerned about hitting a few red lights and keeping my speed at 30 mph and under. In my opinion that's plenty fast for city streets.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 AM
bu2

Quote:
Yep, all of those roads are subject to some delays at peak hours. However, you can otherwise generally zip right along.

I am genuinely baffled by complaints that Atlanta traffic is a "nightmare." I can almost always make local shopping, errand and dining trips in 10 minutes. Commutes to and from the office are routinely 20 minutes.

It's possible that I've just gotten really good at knowing when to travel and what the best routes are. I'm also not concerned about hitting a few red lights and keeping my speed at 30 mph and under. In my opinion that's plenty fast for city streets.
Well if you consider peak hours to be 6 am to 8 pm, yes they are only clogged at peak hours. I frequently drive many of those streets between 9 am and 4 pm and they can be clogged, sometimes bumper to bumper, at any time. And when you frequently get delays non-peak hour, you've got a serious problem.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:24 AM

It may be a case of different strokes for different folks.

I don't like North Druid hills but for the most part I find it easy to get around in the ATL and significant delays are rare.

To me seeing other cars on the road and hitting a few red lights is just normal. It's quite unusual to have to wait through more than one cycle of the signal at most intersections.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:28 PM
bu2

Quote:
It may be a case of different strokes for different folks.

I don't like North Druid hills but for the most part I find it easy to get around in the ATL and significant delays are rare.

To me seeing other cars on the road and hitting a few red lights is just normal. It's quite unusual to have to wait through more than one cycle of the signal at most intersections.
There must be about half of those streets you don't drive.

And even when you only have one cycle, you may be driving along at 10 mph and miss every light (see Clifton near Emory for a prime example).

Old 12-24-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
There must be about half of those streets you don't drive.

And even when you only have one cycle, you may be driving along at 10 mph and miss every light (see Clifton near Emory for a prime example).
I am thinking I may just be very good at picking when to travel and knowing the alternative routes. It probably doesn't hurt that most of my destinations are within a few miles.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:44 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Quote:
Well if you consider peak hours to be 6 am to 8 pm, yes they are only clogged at peak hours. I frequently drive many of those streets between 9 am and 4 pm and they can be clogged, sometimes bumper to bumper, at any time. And when you frequently get delays non-peak hour, you've got a serious problem.
I don't see clogged streets between 945 - 2 and I only drive in-town. Sorry, it empties out after rush hour.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:42 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Just because you tell a lie enough times doesn't mean people will believe it!

Maybe its that way in John's Creek or wherever you live. Sure not that way in DeKalb County or Buckhead.

Dude, he doesn't live in Johns Creek. Pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta