U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:36 AM

362 posts, read 291,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
Well said. It is especially important for those commuting from the Lindbergh/Lenox Park area who would rather not use the heavily congested Buford Highway Connector and thus have no other option for reaching Midtown besides Piedmont. Once Piedmont becomes one-way at 14th Street, drivers are forced onto Juniper. I can only imagine the backup at the turn signal from 14th onto Juniper once this idiotic plan is executed.
Oh I see you want Midtown's Residential corridors to cater to commuters (Juniper is lined almost exclusively with mid to high density residential and is zoned as such as a transition to the Historic Midtown neighborhood). What street do you live on and why can't we turn it into a commuter superhighway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:38 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,496,039 times
Quote:
Well said. It is especially important for those commuting from the Lindbergh/Lenox Park area who would rather not use the heavily congested Buford Highway Connector and thus have no other option for reaching Midtown besides Piedmont. Once Piedmont becomes one-way at 14th Street, drivers are forced onto Juniper. I can only imagine the backup at the turn signal from 14th onto Juniper once this idiotic plan is executed.
If you are able bodied and commuting from Lindbergh/Lenox Park, you do have another option. There are two MARTA stations close to both of those neighborhoods.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:48 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Once Piedmont becomes one-way at 14th Street, drivers are forced onto Juniper.
False. Look at a map. Juniper is not the only option.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:49 AM

3,168 posts, read 3,032,014 times
Default Road diets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Oh I see you want Midtown's Residential corridors to cater to commuters (Juniper is lined almost exclusively with mid to high density residential). What street do you live on and why can't we turn it into a commuter superhighway?

It can't really correctly be described as a preference by any of us to use this one street or that street but rather a commuting pattern that is in fact based on how the city & GDOT have laid out the street & highway system & designed a system of one way streets (Juniper St. for example)) to take the flow of commuting traffic into & through Midtown.
Juniper was a originally a 2 way street many years ago before the traffic studies by the city/GDOT decided that it could better carry more traffic as a one way corridor. I'm not saying whether that is good or bad or even correct but rather noting that it as being a historical fact, one which has led to it's the current status as a major intown commuting artery.
Can you offer any constructive suggestions for other possibilities to get the northeast itp traffic into Midtown & downtown other than by that corridor?

Old 12-18-2015, 08:54 AM

362 posts, read 291,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
It can't really correctly be described as a preference by any of us to use this one street or that street but rather a commuting pattern that is in fact based on how the city & GDOT have laid out the street & highway system & designed a system of one way streets (Juniper St. for example)) to take the flow of commuting traffic into & through Midtown.
Juniper was a originally a 2 way street many years ago before the traffic studies by the city/GDOT decided that it could better carry more traffic as a one way corridor. I'm not saying whether that is good or bad or even correct but rather noting that it as being a historical fact, one which has led to it's the current status as a major intown commuting artery.
Can you offer any constructive suggestions for other possibilities to get the northeast itp traffic into Midtown & downtown other than by that corridor?
Lindbergh MARTA Station isn't far from Morningside-Lenox. And the Buford Connector is right there as well as that person commented. I am well aware of the morning commute because I live on the street and I cannot see how removal of 2 lanes will impact it really other than preventing speeders from being able to weave around slower cars. The only time I see it bad is in the evening especially when people use it to get to events Downtown. I ride my bike on Juniper often when returning from the beltline and having dedicated lane would make it much safer.

Furthermore traffic doesn't have to use Juniper to go north-south. taking 14th further allows one to use Spring street too.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:58 AM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Quoting an article by Bill Torpy:

Except of course the presence of bike lanes on Peachtree Road or on Clifton Road (where Torpy was driving) would have almost certainly prevented the very altercation that got him mad enough to include it in his column.

Seriously, do people even think anymore?
There ARE bike lanes on Clifton Road. They are very narrow, but they are there.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:59 AM

3,168 posts, read 3,032,014 times
Default Road diets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
False. Look at a map. Juniper is not the only option.
Dunwoody is actually sort of correct. It's more than a simple case of just looking at a map. You have to know & understand what is in place in the way of street flow infrastructre, such as stop lights, turn lanes, intersections with turns prohibited, etc.
Case in point, if one takes 14th St. coming from the direction of the park & Piedmont Ave/Rd. & doesn't turn left to go southbound on Juniper, as you go west on beyond Juniper the next intersection is at Peachtree St. If the destination is further south in Midtown or further on south into downtown, there is no left turn allowed off of 14th onto southbound Peachtree. In fact, the next south bound alternative available as you head west is a full 3 blocks further west at Spring St.
That's hardly a practical or welcome alternative route.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:59 AM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This is a good project and Midtown has plenty of capacity for it.

Despite all the whooping and hollering in the media, traffic in the ATL is really not all that bad. Yes, stay off the freeways at rush hour but most of the time Atlantans can zip around pretty easily.
I take it you haven't been on streets in Atlanta between 9am and 5pm the last 3 or 4 years?

Old 12-18-2015, 09:16 AM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I take it you haven't been on streets in Atlanta between 9am and 5pm the last 3 or 4 years?
Oh, I'm out there all the time. Normal daytime traffic isn't bad at all.

Of course things are slower at rush hour, but I still find that I can get along pretty well. 25-30 mph is fine with me on a city street. Even at peak times I rarely have to wait more than one or two cycles of the traffic light even at the busiest intersections.

What I don't like is getting trapped out on some superslab where there are no options. So I generally avoid the interstates.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:21 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
In fact, the next south bound alternative available as you head west is a full 3 blocks further west at Spring St.
That's hardly a practical or welcome alternative route.
Depending on where your destination is, it's a better route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta