U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:12 AM

3,168 posts, read 3,034,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Depending on where your destination is, it's a better route.

To JPD & GeorgiaPeanuts
No, unfortunately Spring St. southbound is not a good alternative by any stretch of the imagination for the morning commute or for those trying to get into the south Midtown area or the CBD at the end of the work day.
I rode the GRTA bus system for 5 years once I left the COA & moved to the south burbs. All of the GRTA Midtown routes that serve the west, south & east suburbs use the Spring St. corridor for their outbound end of day commute routes.
After 5 years of seemingly banging my head in frustration (as a GRTA bus passenger mind you!) at the ungodly & steadily worsening Midtown traffic gridlock my homeward bound bus encountered on southbound Spring St., I gave up GRTA entirely this summer. I now drive to a MARTA station and take the MARTA train into & out of Midtown daily.
As a result, I'm getting to work on time in the morning & getting home typically 30 to 45 minutes & even an hour sooner every late afternoon & now get home in time to actually see the house in fading light instead of pitch black darkness at our current point of late fall/early winter. To top that improvement off, I'm not frazzled or frustrated or angry as I once was because of the normal Midtown Spring St. traffic mess!
To wit, Spring St. absolutely sucks as a commuting artery in it's present configuration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:12 AM

207 posts, read 248,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Oh I see you want Midtown's Residential corridors to cater to commuters (Juniper is lined almost exclusively with mid to high density residential and is zoned as such as a transition to the Historic Midtown neighborhood). What street do you live on and why can't we turn it into a commuter superhighway?
That's the thing - most non-cyclists would not buy a house on a commuter road and then demand that lanes be removed to make it harder for said commuters to use said road. Only cyclists have the selfish mentality that others should be inconvenienced or coerced (not to mention grossed out) so 1% of the commuters can have the roads to themselves.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:24 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,476,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
Well said. It is especially important for those commuting from the Lindbergh/Lenox Park area who would rather not use the heavily congested Buford Highway Connector and thus have no other option for reaching Midtown besides Piedmont. Once Piedmont becomes one-way at 14th Street, drivers are forced onto Juniper. I can only imagine the backup at the turn signal from 14th onto Juniper once this idiotic plan is executed.
So in other words,removed the residents, right? YOUR commute is much more important.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 12-19-2015 at 11:35 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 10:50 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,497,672 times
Quote:
That's the thing - most non-cyclists would not buy a house on a commuter road and then demand that lanes be removed to make it harder for said commuters to use said road. Only cyclists have the selfish mentality that others should be inconvenienced or coerced (not to mention grossed out) so 1% of the commuters can have the roads to themselves.
So you refuse to share the road or consider alternative transportation and are uncomfortable with the human body. Got it.

And it's super ironic that you think the "1% of commuters" want the roads to themselves when that's literally what you want for cars. I also see automobile lanes in the proposal for this road diet so obviously you're given to hyperbole.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:12 AM
JPD

11,851 posts, read 14,468,147 times
Quote:
Hyperbole and lies.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
So you refuse to share the road or consider alternative transportation and are uncomfortable with the human body. Got it.

And it's super ironic that you think the "1% of commuters" want the roads to themselves when that's literally what you want for cars. I also see automobile lanes in the proposal for this road diet so obviously you're given to hyperbole.
I am in support of amending Georgia law so cyclists are forced onto the sidewalk, where they belong. Roads are meant for automobiles, not cyclists who disregard traffic laws and then sue someone for injuries caused by their own stupidity and selfishness.

And it is not hyperbole - cyclists comprise 1% of commuters in Atlanta, and the stated goal of this 1% is to make it virtually impossible to get around in a car.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:22 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,476,872 times
Quote:
I am in support of amending Georgia law so cyclists are forced onto the sidewalk, where they belong. Roads are meant for automobiles, not cyclists who disregard traffic laws and then sue someone for injuries caused by their own stupidity and selfishness.

And it is not hyperbole - cyclists comprise 1% of commuters in Atlanta, and the stated goal of this 1% is to make it virtually impossible to get around in a car.
And there it is. Your hatred for bikes and pedestrians is showing, and it's quite pathetic.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
And there it is. Your hatred for bikes and pedestrians is showing, and it's quite pathetic.

It's not hatred, it's recognition of the sheer idiocy of those that think Atlanta can be transformed into Copenhagen.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:34 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,318,435 times
Quote:
Yup. Bear in mind that a huge fraction of this movement is young, unserious people who haven't yet really figured out why anyone would want to live in the suburbs.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:35 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,497,672 times
Quote:

No, it is hyperbole. It will be entirely possible to get around in your car. It may take you an extra few minutes because you'll have to share the road that cyclists are legally allowed to use. You really do show your disregard for anyone not in an automobile by saying they should be forced onto the sidewalk. That's been proven unquestionably unsafe.

Really, if you want to have roads with cars and nothing but cars, you need to move back to Dunwoody or points north. Cities build infrastructure around more than cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta