Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 03:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
Honestly, if they want to make north Fulton area Milton county again good for them. Atlanta will find new ways to get funding for their county.
The City of Atlanta-proper doesn't rely on North Fulton's tax revenue as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 08:03 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Because if there's one thing we need in the metro, it's more counties and worse Balkanization.

If anything we need to start consolidating municipalities and their counties within the metro.
this

Old 12-26-2015, 08:50 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
So you have these jobs available? And they pay enough to cover the cost of the commute from south Fulton to north Fulton, and the cost of childcare - right? (Or are you one of those people who think poor people should be castrated or otherwise deprived of the basic human right "to marry and to found a family"?) And these jobs you're offering still leave folks doing those jobs enough left over to pay one's own way rather than relying on any assistance that might upset your sensibilities in that regard?

Why not post your contact info? I may know some folks looking for that kind of work.

How about you get the folks who tear things up to pay for the damage they cause instead of presuming to afflict people who happen to live near the vandals with the caustic, broadbrush, generalized retribution you seem itching to direct at them?
No, I don't and guess what, that's not my problem. And here's an idea, MOVE. Kind of like Sam kinnison, move to where the FOOD IS!. Day care? Get two jobs. I did, and raised 4. Crickets....right? And how about the ones that were allegedly n edge who asked other era to buy the uniforms and miraculously, showed up to every game with a big a$$ SU! Late model of course, with the latest Sprint free cell phone....you do the math...meanwhile, in the responsible corridor, people like me drove/drive 10-15 year old cars.

It's called, priorities. These same "poor" people have lots and lots of leased huge SUV's enjoying their "classism" groove and live in South Fulton....sooooo,you THINK the abuse is low, I beg to differ. Fix THAT first and we will talk.

Hers a clue skippy, 10 years ago, I had a cleanup business. Wanna know who applied for our job openings???? Mexicans and a few whites with GED's. Zero blacks. Zero. Now these jobs paid $10-$15 an hour depending on what you did with peeeeeelenteee of OT on the weekends. Yes, weekends.

Hey, I did this work ON top if my regular job. See? It's called sacrifice. You have to make choices. High paying jobs are elusive. And that's for us too you know. Everyone is anything but rich up here. But, if you want to think we all have 100k jobs with foot servants so be it. You have no idea what you're talking about. There are plenty of us working HARD to support OUR families, do it hour a LOT of things to do what is right by ours. Shame on us, right?

Look at your response, it screams of entitlement. You have noooo idea what I went through these last 38 years to get up a tad. It was anything but easy and not a nickel of subsidy along the way......don't think it's possible? I can teach anyone how to make 50-70K a year with NO skills but, they HAVE to have a stellar work ethic, be willing to live without all the accoutrements you seem to think everyone in North Fulton has and be willing to stick to it often 6-7 days a week, for decades.

Willing to do it? Just ask. And that is more help than I ever received and didn't need. I'm proud of that. It used to be common, now everyone whines for someone else's money. Shameful. Stand up, get busy. The harder you work, the "luckier" you get. Stealing others money thinking its a birthright is beyond the pale.

Fall in privates.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:42 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
No, I don't and guess what, that's not my problem. And here's an idea, MOVE. Kind of like Sam kinnison, move to where the FOOD IS!. Day care? Get two jobs. I did, and raised 4. Crickets....right? And how about the ones that were allegedly n edge who asked other era to buy the uniforms and miraculously, showed up to every game with a big a$$ SU! Late model of course, with the latest Sprint free cell phone....you do the math...meanwhile, in the responsible corridor, people like me drove/drive 10-15 year old cars.

It's called, priorities. These same "poor" people have lots and lots of leased huge SUV's enjoying their "classism" groove and live in South Fulton....sooooo,you THINK the abuse is low, I beg to differ. Fix THAT first and we will talk.

Hers a clue skippy, 10 years ago, I had a cleanup business. Wanna know who applied for our job openings???? Mexicans and a few whites with GED's. Zero blacks. Zero. Now these jobs paid $10-$15 an hour depending on what you did with peeeeeelenteee of OT on the weekends. Yes, weekends.

Hey, I did this work ON top if my regular job. See? It's called sacrifice. You have to make choices. High paying jobs are elusive. And that's for us too you know. Everyone is anything but rich up here. But, if you want to think we all have 100k jobs with foot servants so be it. You have no idea what you're talking about. There are plenty of us working HARD to support OUR families, do it hour a LOT of things to do what is right by ours. Shame on us, right?

Look at your response, it screams of entitlement. You have noooo idea what I went through these last 38 years to get up a tad. It was anything but easy and not a nickel of subsidy along the way......don't think it's possible? I can teach anyone how to make 50-70K a year with NO skills but, they HAVE to have a stellar work ethic, be willing to live without all the accoutrements you seem to think everyone in North Fulton has and be willing to stick to it often 6-7 days a week, for decades.

Willing to do it? Just ask. And that is more help than I ever received and didn't need. I'm proud of that. It used to be common, now everyone whines for someone else's money. Shameful. Stand up, get busy. The harder you work, the "luckier" you get. Stealing others money thinking its a birthright is beyond the pale.

Fall in privates.
We're talking about a whole community here not just one person. It's hard enough to hold a single job, where are gonna find the time to work more than two and take care of a family. And even then you still come out with less money than those more fortunate. Guess what? Without sufficient funds there is no moving. You stay where you can afford. Families aren't going to go nearly hungry just to live in a better area. Many of these people are stuck here with children who have to settle with less quality schools, and a different experience from northside kids. No matter how much they care about school they will be left behind by most school officials. Neighborhoods are filled with bad influences that you can't avoid. You're an outlier and there's only a few people who can emulate your situation. And to be honest they shouldn't have to. Why do they have to look harder for opportunities that should be equal to everyone? Everything looks gloomy to less affluent families from the start, while people with means try to say things like work harder, when they don't know what hard work is in the first place.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:07 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
We're talking about a whole community here not just one person. It's hard enough to hold a single job, where are gonna find the time to work more than two and take care of a family. And even then you still come out with less money than those more fortunate. Guess what? Without sufficient funds there is no moving. You stay where you can afford. Families aren't going to go nearly hungry just to live in a better area. Many of these people are stuck here with children who have to settle with less quality schools, and a different experience from northside kids. No matter how much they care about school they will be left behind by most school officials. Neighborhoods are filled with bad influences that you can't avoid. You're an outlier and there's only a few people who can emulate your situation. And to be honest they shouldn't have to. Why do they have to look harder for opportunities that should be equal to everyone? Everything looks gloomy to less affluent families from the start, while people with means try to say things like work harder, when they don't know what hard work is in the first place.
Well. First off, you keep the family together no matter how much it hurts some. Secondly, LIFE IS NOT FAIR no matter how much we wish it weren't so? I understand your thoughts, I truly do but, I've seen too many people rise above. I look at all of them equally and as an inspiration to keep me going. It was NOT easy for me my friend but, through it all, I never, ever expected others to help me do what I could do myself.

Maybe it's the only shred of dignity that remains and for that, I am grateful. I had to move 7 times and 4 states to get "here". And that's was after four years in the marines. If there was a chuckhole in the road, I hit it. Despite all of the, I never missed a payment, never bounced. Check and kept a stellar credit record. I can also tell you that I did without. Still do. Almost 40 years later I'm driving the nicest car I ever owned....a 10 year old Camry.....why? Because I have 4 kids that come first. Period. I can buy a nicer car but, why would I? I paid cash and that's, that.

Choices.....choices....we all make them and all too often many make the wrong ones. I did this with a HS diploma and a few years of college. House is paid for and I have almost no debt. It's something I would recommend highly. No matter where one is, they can always do better. I can pick apart almost anyone's lifestyle and come up with margin. If one fails to make tjose moves, or is unwilling to work longer hours, the end result is usually the same.

I'm not singing " Lawrence Welk" music. It's hard, it's tedious, it's downright boring more often than not but, it's all about choices. I look back on my twenties and am mystified how I survived. It makes me shudder to think about it.

Just because one starts off disadvantaged does NOT mean they have to finish there. Tune out the noise, go to work, pay your bills and do the right things. In the end, you will share the dignity and satisfaction of true independence and realize you don't want, nor need, OTHER peoples money. Period.

While i will probably never enjoy the levels of wealth of others I am old enough not to care or worry about it. It's just not that big a deal. However, I keep swinging at the bat and there's still a few singles and doubles left in there somewhere. Makes me wonder why those half my age don't. They usually have the energy, looks, and education I could never achieve with more open doors than I ever could have dreamed about.

Looking for others to subsidize you is a dangerous game. Expecting/taking other peoples money is not a long term strategy. Milton county, good or bad, could happen and if it does, where does that leave one? Sure,its a tremendous long shot and will probably never happen but, have you seen the reactions of some? Do you want to be that guy? Really?

All I know is that for all the bitching I see about no jobs, I see illegals taking them and keeping their families going. They are raising their families on the allegedly unthinkable. They work multiple jobs and still make it happen WITH their families. And don't think for a minute they work for peanuts, they don't work for free. They do, however, come to work as many days as you need them including Saturday and Sunday quietly taking over the trades. All with a great attitude and willingness to learn. They are now the new Italian and Irish of a century ago.

Asking for more from North Fulton??? Is it any wonder why they want to break away?

Old 12-27-2015, 12:56 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
One should not necessarily surprised that the effort to break North Fulton off from Fulton County and re-create Milton County is back.

Fulton County has a history of dysfunction, bickering amongst county officials and some degree of incompetence in governance, though the county does not seem to be in as rough of a shape as neighboring DeKalb County seems to be at present.

Personally, I don't have a horse in the race and am not surprised that the more affluent north part of the county wants to break away from the less-affluent south part of what has traditionally been a seemingly very dysfunctional county at times.

There is precedent for an affluent area wanting to break away from a heavily populated (and at times very dysfunctional) urban county to form its own county government.

An affluent northwest portion of Cook County, Illinois (home county of Chicago) has tried unsuccessfully for decades to form its own county government by seceding from the rest of Cook County mainly to get away from a Cook County government that can often be extremely dysfunctional, highly inept and very corrupt.

Meanwhile, the San Fernando Valley portion of the city and county of Los Angeles, California has been trying unsuccessfully for decades to break away from Los Angeles to form its own city and county governments.

In any case, when the affluent part of a heavily populated urban county (like Cook County, Illinois; Los Angeles, California and Fulton County, Georgia) tries to break away from said county to form its own governance, its usually because there is a large degree of dysfunction, incompetence and corruption within the existing county government and the group of people pursuing the formation of their city and county governance just happen to have the financial resources to pursue city/county secession and independence.

In addition to the racial element which has always colored this discussion of the re-creation of Milton County out of the north end of Fulton County, one major piece of contention has often been that the backers of a re-created Milton County have often pushed to include communities like Sandy Springs and even Dunwoody and Buckhead within the confines of a re-created Milton County.

(...Hence the language in the proposed legislation that the borders of a recreated county would only have to be "generally similar" and not exactly similar to the original borders that the county had before being merged into a neighboring county....Because many of the backers of a re-created Milton County have expressed a desire in the past to include areas that were not originally part of Milton County, areas like Sandy Springs, Dunwoody (which desperately wants to escape from the increasingly highly-dysfunctional DeKalb County) and even Buckhead as part of a re-created Milton County.)

The talk of including areas like Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and even potentially Buckhead in a newly re-created Milton County have made pushback against the concept even more intense than it was probably already going to be because of the public relations optics that the backers of a re-created Milton County are selfishly trying to create a super-affluent county at the expense of less-affluent areas in both the Atlanta metro area and the state of Georgia at-large.

Even though one might possibly expect the effort by North Fulton Republicans to re-create Milton County to find support in a Republican-dominated Georgia General Assembly, the optics of a couple of the absolute poorest counties somewhere else in the state being pressured to merge together so that a bunch of wealthy Atlanta suburbanites can create their own county of super-affluence does not play all that well in statewide politics.

Though, the backers of the re-creation of Milton County don't care about the statewide political optics....They just want to get away from a historically dysfunctional Fulton County government to form what they presume will be a much more functional, competent and ethically upstanding Milton County government.

The Republican backers of the re-creation of Milton County figure that right now is the best time to attempt a resurrection of Milton County with the possible inclusion of such non-original Milton County areas as Sandy Springs and Dunwoody and potentially even Buckhead while Republicans dominate (and hold supermajorities in) Georgia state government.

The Republican backers of the re-creation of Milton County likely see the state's rapidly shifting demographics in favor of the Democrats and figure that the window of opportunity to resurrect Milton County, however small it may be, will likely close completely and permanently shut if and when Republicans lose their supermajority status in Georgia state government, possibly in the not-too-distant future.

The Republican backers of the re-creation of Milton County likely also see a golden opportunity to potentially advance their legislation with the ongoing push for a Religious Liberty bill and other related legislation going on before the start of the 2016 session of the Georgia General Assembly.

The moderately conservative business-friendly Milton County backers probably figure that they potentially might be able to get support for their legislation to advance the re-creation of Milton County if they agree to support all of the Religious Liberty bills that will likely be put forth by socially conservative Republicans during a legislative session in an election year.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:22 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
No, I don't and guess what, that's not my problem.
That's very similar to the disreputable attitude that underlies the inclination among some to throw south Fulton under the bus, as I outlined above. So basically you're just expressing bravado out of self-motivation without any real moral or civil foundation for what you're advocating.

Quote:
And here's an idea, MOVE. Kind of like Sam kinnison, move to where the FOOD IS!
Sam Kinison was a comedian, making a joke. He never intended people to integrate his words into their moral compass. However, I'm confident you realize that. I'm confident that despite your apparent ignorance of the realities about which you're trying to comment, it costs money to move, and that there is no reason to believe that moving will make anything better - that your call for poor people to move is just a ridiculously nonsensical and utterly clueless exhortation.

Quote:
Day care? Get two jobs.
But you're not offering the jobs you talked about - why should anyone else? I outlined a budgeting challenge - a basic economic quandary of keeping costs (such a commuting costs and daycare costs) low enough such that they don't eat away the revenues generated based on those costs and instead could be sufficient to pay one's own way and secure one's own future. And your response to that is to increase revenues, yet again totally oblivious to costs, totally oblivious to the core matter of resolving the need to pay one's own way and secure one's own future. I'm sure you're more financially savvy than your comments are making you seem.What I'm not sure is whether you're willing to admit that your comments are strictly intended to foster your own personal advantage to the exclusion of others, because you don't care about anyone other than you and yours.

Quote:
<a bunch of ridiculously categorical nonsense about poor people>
No, Caleb. The average poor person in south Fulton doesn't have a late model SUV or an expensive smartphone. That's nonsense that is used to dupe weak-minded sycophants into hating poor people in the interest of securing the comfort and luxury of the rich.

Quote:
Look at your response, it screams of entitlement.
My comments scream of holding the self-centeredness you favor to account. My comments scream of moral repudiation for the egoistic opportunism for which you advocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
We're talking about a whole community here not just one person.
Precisely, but the nonsense that all poor people are riding around in late model SUVs is part and parcel of the rationalizations for morally offensive self-motivation that is running rampant in our society, placing the comfort and luxury of some over the basic needs of those most vulnerable in society. We go to church on Sunday mornings and the worship leader preaches to us about right and wrong. Some of us take the lessons to heart and recognize that whether we're Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Unitarian, Baha'i, Sikh, or what have you, we're called to represent for the poor and weak rather than just kowtow to those who have money. Some others apparently think that sitting through Sunday morning worship (or not, for that matter) exempts them from behaving in a compassionate and considerate manner toward those less fortunate, or think that lording over them offering the small pittance that they deign to bless the poor with exempts them from the moral responsibility as members of our shared community to address the injustices within.

Last edited by bUU; 12-27-2015 at 03:33 AM..

Old 12-27-2015, 07:39 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
Did someone just play the grace card?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:55 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Race is not the motivation in the desire to split, it is the incompetence.

Fulton County gov just sucks. Any effort to reform the county government, the "everything comes back to race" folks start screaming. People are too afraid to have a logical discussion about well run government then nothing happens. The race obsessed crowd does nothing but hold everyone back as their only interest is the color of a person's skin, not well run government. This only benefits the incumbents and their cronies.

If people would work together with the primary interest being a well run government, we wouldn't have a strong movement to branch off into another county. I look forward to the emotion filled race obsessed crowd dying out along with their emotion filled friends, "The Racists". Don't expect much progress in this realm until then.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:21 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Always that "government is the problem" phantom-speak.

As if people are not behind the existence of government. Just more of the same obfuscation talk that is so common in America. Especially in the south.

Especially when it comes to applying accountability to those in the dominant society. In the same way they like to apply heavy accountability to minorities.

And that what's "holding us back". That is, if you consider the two-sided/fake-conversation/double-talk/pseudo-speak ...a problem.

And obviously it's not...when your tribe is the ones in charge doing it & running the ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta