Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:20 PM
bu2

23,876 posts, read 14,674,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Eh...if a hypothetical "Milton County" contains Sandy Springs, I can imagine Milton either being grandfathered into or voting to remain part of MARTA. GA 400 traffic and the three Sandy Springs MARTA stations won't disappear simply because they're in a new county.

Plus, with an expansion up GA 400 already far along in the development process, I can't see Milton just saying "screw it" and cutting off all relations with MARTA.

Power wouldn't change. "Milton County" is serviced by Georgia Power, Sawnee EMC, and Cobb EMC, so unless Milton County decides to form its own power company and buy out the existing utilities' assets, power suppliers wouldn't change. Trash collection would either be provided by the county or outsourced to a private firm like Waste Management.

Not sure about the others...

- skbl17
Frankly, I don't see how a Milton County with Sandy Springs added possibly survives a voting rights challenge. If they used the old Milton County lines it might survive a challenge, but I don't see how it could with Sandy Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 10:56 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,709,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The problem is that North Fulton gets short-changed on all the services. Its not about wealthy helping the poor. Its about the political power base in South Fulton not treating North Fulton fairly as well as the incompetence of the county. And somehow continuing to elect people like the thief that is the tax collector.
And what is one example of this, I'm waiting.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:54 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,122,113 times
Oh FFS, not this **** again.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:01 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,122,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Eh...if a hypothetical "Milton County" contains Sandy Springs, I can imagine Milton either being grandfathered into or voting to remain part of MARTA. GA 400 traffic and the three Sandy Springs MARTA stations won't disappear simply because they're in a new county.

Plus, with an expansion up GA 400 already far along in the development process, I can't see Milton just saying "screw it" and cutting off all relations with MARTA.
I could. And if they did, then Sandy Springs would have to vote itself a 1% sales tax just to keep Sandy Springs and North Springs (and perhaps Medical Center) stations open, which would not happen. Heck, MARTA might not even want to patrol abandoned stations. That sure wouldn't sit well with nearby residents...

Old 12-24-2015, 04:26 AM

222 posts, read 230,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I don't care what anyone says. Look at South Fulton then take a look at North Fulton. It's pretty obvious which part is being deprived of tax money.
Hahahahaha. I hope you aren't serious. The money in North Fultom didn't come from tax dollars being given to them.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:06 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,658,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Quote:
It's like the guy at work who thinks that throwing you under the bus is a fine way of getting ahead himself.
Not quite. The fact that North Fulton leaving would create huge financial problems for South Fulton should tell you something.
That it would be like throwing South Fulton under the bus.

Quote:
Quote:
Instead of punishing the victims by effectively making their county poorer and less able to bridge the gaps, we should be working to reduce the problem, eliminate the economic injustice, and put everyone in the state on a firm footing from which they can pay their own way - for everything. Poverty is our failure to get everyone working and making money themselves, and we should collectively take responsibility for that failure rather than trying to dodge it. There's no way to eliminate poverty, but it is far better to dilute a bitter pill then concentrate it.
No matter how much money the wealthier provide to these "victims" as you say, little really changes, does it?
Those who's lives are improved move to North Fulton (or Cobb County, or Cherokee, etc.) However, it is worth noting that providing money for the social safety net just bridges the gap, it doesn't fill the gap. It's only going halfway. The rest of the way involves what I outlined.

Perhaps you're among those who place our comfort and luxury over the priority to solve the long-term problem, or perhaps you benefit from there being a large block of people forever kept destitute and desperate, or perhaps you haven't thought it through completely. Regardless of the excuse, what you've said here still doesn't excuse throwing South Fulton under the bus. As I said, there will always be poor. We humans will never have enough compassion and consideration for others to make the collective sacrifices necessary to actually do away with poverty. So poverty is mandatory; but suffering is not. That lingering amount of economic injustice that our society will never rid itself of is our society's flaw, not its excuse.

Quote:
Poverty is no excuse for a lot of the problems that people honestly don't want to take accountability for. Out of wedlock births, up to 70% by some studies, and single parent households is a direct correlation to poverty. So is dropping out of high school. General poor decision making skills.
Then let's do something about those things, showing respect and dignity for the human beings who need our help in those matters.

However, your premise is corrupt because your data is both unattributed and not up-to-date. Out of wedlock births have declined 14% since 2008. And unlike you, I have an authoritative source for my data: [Source: National Vital Statistics System, retrieved August 2014. United States Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics.]

Putting aside that you got the direction and size of the trend wrong (or simply didn't do a good job explaining what you were trying to say), within that downward trend do you know the segment within which there is the greatest increase? Intended, Cohabitating (i.e., not "single parent households"). It increased almost 50% in just eight years. And Unintended, Cohabitating (also not "single parent households") grew almost as fast. And yes, that means that out of wedlock births for Not Cohabitating mothers went down even more drastically.

What's going on? People aren't getting married for reasons unrelated to their economic status - imagine that: There are more things going on in the world than just the prejudicial stereotypes of poverty that some would promulgate.

And of course high school drop-out rates are also falling. [Source: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics.]

Improvements in the composition of children's households and high school graduation rates don't make a dent in poverty as long as the core problem of poverty is institutionalized economic injustice, built into the fiber of our society. The trends are such that the effects of automation, globalization and other institutional mechanisms are skyrocketing, devaluing the value of work and reducing the supply of living wage jobs in our society. Those impacts are making things worse far faster than the relatively tangential poverty predicting metrics such as out of wedlock births and high school drop-out rates are making things better.

So even if there are pockets where out of wedlock births are getting worse, and high school drop-out rates are getting worse, that's still missing the core of the issue: They're still just a distraction, a deflection away from what's truly important: Opportunity - real, hardcore, opportunity to work, to earn a living wage, without regular interruption when its good for the stock price, without compensation continually falling behind the rate of inflation, etc. And throwing South Fulton under the bus isn't going to help with that, one bit.

Quote:
I'm a liberal but we have to truthfully address ALL of the factors that contribute to poverty instead of blaming it on the middle/upper middle class.
*I* said that, "we should be working to reduce the problem, eliminate the economic injustice, and put everyone in the state on a firm footing from which they can pay their own way - for everything." Did you just skim past that part of the comment you replied to without reading it? But regardless of who said it first, throwing South Fulton under the bus doesn't help accomplish it one bit.

Last edited by bUU; 12-24-2015 at 05:24 AM..

Old 12-24-2015, 05:16 AM

787 posts, read 963,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That it would be like throwing South Fulton under the bus.

Those who's lives are improved move to North Fulton (or Cobb County, or Cherokee, etc.) However, it is worth noting that providing money for the social safety net just bridges the gap, it doesn't fill the gap. It's only going halfway. The rest of the way involves what I outlined. Perhaps you're among those who place our comfort and luxury over the priority to solve the long-term problem, or perhaps you benefit from there being a large block of people forever kept destitute and desperate, or perhaps you haven't thought it through completely. Regardless of the excuse, what you've said here still doesn't excuse throwing South Fulton under the bus. As I said, there will always be poor. We humans will never have enough compassion and consideration for others to make the collective sacrifices necessary to actually do away with poverty. So poverty is mandatory; but suffering is not. That lingering amount of economic injustice that our society will never rid itself of is our society's flaw, not its excuse.

Then let's do something about those things, showing respect and dignity for the human beings who need our help in those matters.

However, your premise is corrupt because your data is both unattributed and not up-to-date. Out of wedlock births have declined 14% since 2008. And unlike you, I have an authoritative source for my data: [Source: National Vital Statistics System, retrieved August 2014. United States Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics.] Putting aside that you got the direction and size of the trend wrong, within that downward trend do you know the segment within which there is the greatest increase? Intended, Cohabitating. It increased almost 50% in just eight years. And Unintended, Cohabitating grew almost as fast. And yes, that means that out of wedlock births for Not Cohabitating mothers went down even more drastically.

What's going on? People aren't getting married for reasons unrelated to their economic status - imagine that: There are more things going on in the world than just the prejudicial stereotypes of poverty that some would promulgate.

*I* said that, "we should be working to reduce the problem, eliminate the economic injustice, and put everyone in the state on a firm footing from which they can pay their own way - for everything." Did you just skim past that part of the comment you replied to without reading it?

Ever since the abolishment of slavery the government number goal was to maintain the status quote of whites contain all power, ownership, and control, while keeping blacks a permanent underclass. The government does not want to eliminate economic injustice. They need these people to maintain capitalism, fill prisons, and to be use as scapegoats for everything that's wrong in society.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:33 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,030,498 times
Some interestingly specious arguments against Milton County. Posted from the Great Free Hindi State of South Forsyth.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:11 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,076,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I could. And if they did, then Sandy Springs would have to vote itself a 1% sales tax just to keep Sandy Springs and North Springs (and perhaps Medical Center) stations open, which would not happen. Heck, MARTA might not even want to patrol abandoned stations. That sure wouldn't sit well with nearby residents...
Shutting down the Red Line would be a huge disaster (fortunately there is a 99.9999999999999% chance it wouldn't happen).

Old 12-24-2015, 07:13 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,076,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
My question is, would recreating Milton put more of a burden on the city of Atlanta taxpayer?
No.

Quote:
So long as it's revenue neutral the folks up in Milton can do as they please.
I doubt it would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta